Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I dont see why people are so enamoured by him. He is nothing. Just repeats information on the internet. There are millions of Cambridge Medics, whats so special about him? Because he makes YT videos!?!
Give a sob story and you win people over, snd thats what hes done. Sad story growing up in a single parent household, went to a good school, then cambridge to be a medic. Great story. But the guy is a head and lives for peoples validation hiding behind titles. Who are you really behind all that? Just a confused boy who wants to please others and make others think he is amazing. With a side of narcissism thrown in. He is nothing special just like Zoella and Co.

He took someones place in med school just so he could have one up on others. The only thing he has passion for is money.
Who writes a book and asks his followers what to call it. Or who asks his followers to email in a CV type thing if they want a chance with him.
What a dick.

Reactions: 12
What a dreadful video. I couldn’t finish it. There’s a lot of criticism in the comments which is good. This comment and it’s replies really summed things up for me.
6232DBF7-A83F-43DA-BC1F-775250AF27B5.jpeg

99350F42-B9BA-42D7-89A2-A25E85A57E91.jpeg

Reactions: 13
Exactly my thought. This dude sums it up perfectly.
How-to-‘Read’-1000-Books-a-Year-The-Summary-Method-Non-Fiction-YouTube3.png

The comment section is being a bit critical of this video. At least that's good.
How-to-‘Read’-1000-Books-a-Year-The-Summary-Method-Non-Fiction-YouTube2.png

How-to-‘Read’-1000-Books-a-Year-The-Summary-Method-Non-Fiction-YouTube`.png

Good point. The last time I checked, he doesn't even update his GR. Compared to him, I'd rather Jack or even Ruby is more followed. At least they update.
How-to-‘Read’-1000-Books-a-Year-The-Summary-Method-Non-Fiction-YouTube.png

Reactions: 12
It's a pain to see him repeat himself, somehow reformat the same cr*p using new icons - enough repackaging to somehow justify a new video to keep feeding the algorithm and keep the views, sponsorships and money rolling in.

He does NOT have the life experience or variety beyond offering superficial productivity rehashes

Can he just not take a break, get a life, find a new way, a new perspective to reach out through the platform? He's bought into the smokes-and-mirrors of his own success and will see himself and people's interest in him plateuing before plummeting. Terrible self-insight.

His pitch re: productive book reading with one-note summarise, summarise and interlink via apps capture so little of what's published and what's out there to read, absorb and lose oneself to (even within the non-fiction world): it's infuriating to see him generalise these tactics and giving definitive tips to book-reading.

As someone else pointed out, his GR feed is really gobsmackingly immature: pop-psych trash alternating with teen fantasy with an occassional in-the-news just-adapted-for-TV/in-vogue adult tome.

And no Ali, your video is NOT controversial, it's pathetic and pea-brained. Get off your soapbox!

Reactions: 3
As someone else pointed out, his GR feed is really gobsmackingly immature: pop-psych trash alternating with teen fantasy with an occassional in-the-news just-adapted-for-TV/in-vogue adult tome.
It's extremely evident by how he idolises Brandon Sanderson as a great author. People are allowed to read and enjoy what authors they like, but they can also be judged for their taste. Sanderson has written a lot of books but he is a 100% middle of the road fantasy novelist. He is a safe and a generic pair of hands for generating big sales, but he's ot an imaginative trailblazer or a particularly quality author.

Reactions: 2
It's a pain to see him repeat himself, somehow reformat the same cr*p using new icons - enough repackaging to somehow justify a new video to keep feeding the algorithm and keep the views, sponsorships and money rolling in.

He does NOT have the life experience or variety beyond offering superficial productivity rehashes

Can he just not take a break, get a life, find a new way, a new perspective to reach out through the platform? He's bought into the smokes-and-mirrors of his own success and will see himself and people's interest in him plateuing before plummeting. Terrible self-insight.

His pitch re: productive book reading with one-note summarise, summarise and interlink via apps capture so little of what's published and what's out there to read, absorb and lose oneself to (even within the non-fiction world): it's infuriating to see him generalise these tactics and giving definitive tips to book-reading.

And no Ali, your video is NOT controversial, it's pathetic and pea-brained. Get off your soapbox!
Can he just not take a break, get a life, find a new way, a new perspective to reach out through the platform?
tbh, I've wondered about this. he is at a level where he can take a break. his peers with similar rankings like Nathaniel drew, matt d'avella and thomas frank take breaks every now and then. even that nate o'brien guy. and I actually get that. ali had worked hard for channel for 4 years. no doubt in that. the least he can do is take a break. perhaps that will give him some creative burst to think outside the box and make YT videos, instead of just recycling old videos.

matt once said that he is planning to decrease his video frequency after 2 million because he thinks that he has come to a stage where he can relax a bit after 3 years of hustle. that makes sense.

ali needs life experience. I am sure he has some but he definitely spends more time in front on the screen than... IDK... unplugging and going on a hike with friends/family.

tbh, I've wondered about this. he is at a level where he can take a break. his peers with similar rankings like Nathaniel drew, matt d'avella and thomas frank take breaks every now and then. even that nate o'brien guy. and I actually get that. ali had worked hard for channel for 4 years. no doubt in that. the least he can do is take a break. perhaps that will give him some creative burst to think outside the box and make YT videos, instead of just recycling old videos.

matt once said that he is planning to decrease his video frequency after 2 million because he thinks that he has come to a stage where he can relax a bit after 3 years of hustle. that makes sense.

ali needs life experience. I am sure he has some but he definitely spends more time in front on the screen than... IDK... unplugging and going on a hike with friends/family.
I think he would see taking a break as being antithetical to all the productivity stuff he talks about. Which is a shame, because you're absolutely right that taking a break would be great - for both his content and for him as a person!

I really like Matt and the pace at which he creates content. I think he's realised some of the flaws in the minimalism/productivity 'space' online too.

Reactions: 1
Well well.well

I was searching for tutors for my niece and kept seeing triple flourish tutors, I look on their website and guess who is a tutor with their photo on the page?!?!? Ali!!!!!

Reactions: 1
Well well.well

I was searching for tutors for my niece and kept seeing triple flourish tutors, I look on their website and guess who is a tutor with their photo on the page?!?!? Ali!!!!!
Ali's still milking the doctor thing then. He's happy to reap the benefits of being a doctor but won't actually work as a doctor.

I genuinely can't deal with his cult of wannabes popping up all over YouTube lmao

So, he is still recycling content, eh?
🙄An eye roll reaction would be ideal for this thread. Ha!

Edited to add, of course he glosses over the way the book discusses people living pay check to pay check ‘disparagingly’. yikes. i have no desire to read a book that has that sort of view of people.

If you're reading 1000 books a year as an adult, you really need to evaluate how you're spending your life!

Honestly maybe has daddy issues he has never spoken about his dad so I assume he has passed away (sadly) or is absent but that and the brother issues he has makes me think he has an issue which is why he is the way he is - constantly trying to flex about his intelligence, career, business, wealth
I also thought it was the influence of not having a dad. I remember watching a C4 TV programme about young geniuses (little kids pushed really hard by their parents). And there was an Indian boy about 12yo, his parents had split up, and his dad said to him "call me when you find the cure to cancer". And honestly it reminds me of Ali. I wish in the Diary of CEO interview he did actually reflect on his childhood and his influences when the presenter asked him.

University of Cambridge should show his case to the future medicine interviewers.it is clear he should not be admitted to the medicine. He has fake attitude, and as said earlier his whole existence is to impress others instead of helping them.
Not only has he quit medicine, but he pretty much seems to want to encourage Elizabeth to also quit - see The Moral Dilemma of Quitting Medicine on Ali Appendix channel

I think he would see taking a break as being antithetical to all the productivity stuff he talks about. Which is a shame, because you're absolutely right that taking a break would be great - for both his content and for him as a person!
I feel Ali won't be able to take a break even if wanted to. He detailed his expenditure (in How Much Money I Spend as a YouTuber July 2021 video) His staff salaries alone were taking an enormous chunk of his money. And he only then went and expanded his team. He's put himself under enormous pressure to achieve. He has put all his eggs in one basket, that "I am successful because I make money on YouTube and I can show others how to". But if/when his channel plateaus and plummets as someone mentioned here, then what will he have?

Reactions: 4
Another day, another awkward video from Ali Abdaal promoting some entrepreneurship book that he's madly in love with. I wonder how his new hires are working out—a whole team of people for a video that barely scratches 50k. Looks like the audience of 2.2 million has been whittled down to a steady 40-70k of diehard fans that still click these crappy entrepreneur mindset videos. Wonder how long it'll last before they also get tired of this.

I watched this shitshow of a video and aside from the guy filming himself in direct sunlight with his curtains open, it struck me as completely distasteful say things like "a stupid country like America" as if he wasn't drooling over moving to the US just a year ago because of how much doctors get paid over there. Oh so now it's a stupid country cause you discovered you can make more money from duping idiots into buying a useless course rather than being a doctor over there... Gotcha, cool. Makes me wonder if that line was his only personal contribution to the script, considering he outsources just about everything. Really adding some personal flair there to your employee's otherwise drab work.

Holding on to my seat for the next banger video. Maybe the next one will get more views than 2% of his subscriber base. Can't wait to hear that I should just start a business that makes a million dollars and to enjoy the journey again. Never have I seen a person embody the expression "beating a dead horse" to this degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
You shouldn't take money advice from someone who owns a property in one town and then literally moves a 45 minute train ride away to rent a different property at a almost certainly a higher rent and moves his business there too like how on earth is increasing your cost of living and business costs to move to the second most expensive city in the world when you're literally in commutable distance what an idiot

Reactions: 5
I wonder how his new hires are working out—a whole team of people for a video that barely scratches 50k. Looks like the audience of 2.2 million has been whittled down
I always thought he was very lucky to get his audience. He was at the right place at the right time with his medic-wannabe audience and computer skills to get ahead of the game.
Hence it's bizarre that he's set himself up as a YouTube guru just getting past 2mil subscribers. If you look at people like Patricia Bright and Lilly Singh, it's easy to see that popularity on YouTube quickly wanes. The YouTube audience is fickle. So why invest everything in being popular on YouTube? What will the part-time YT academy do if his channel is waning?

I watched this shitshow of a video and aside from the guy filming himself in direct sunlight with his curtains open, it struck me as completely distasteful say things like "a stupid country like America" as if he wasn't drooling over moving to the US just a year ago because of how much doctors get paid over there. Oh so now it's a stupid country cause you discovered you can make more money from duping idiots into buying a useless course rather than being a doctor over there...
I haven't seen that video but that doesn't surprise me. Just to mention, he gave up on the American dream after realising that USMLE will take hard work. It's mentioned in the Diary of CEO interview where he justifies it with 'well the hard work-benefit ratio isn't worth it for USMLE'. This is complete antithesis to 'I'm so good at exams and so productive and able to achieve my goals'

I have met a couple of Cambridge medics and they were nothing like Ali - totally humble, down-to-earth and actually had a really good life-balance. Ali is an exception and not a good portrayal for Cambridge.

You shouldn't take money advice from someone who owns a property in one town and then literally moves a 45 minute train ride away to rent a different property at a almost certainly a higher rent and moves his business there too like how on earth is increasing your cost of living and business costs to move to the second most expensive city in the world when you're literally in commutable distance
I also thought it really strange. In post-pandemic world where every sensible person in London is thinking about how they can move out of London and continue working, especially with work-from-home ethos and online meetings, why would you move into London when your whole business is online anyway. It seems such an inexperienced decision. You're right, it is ridiculously easy to commute from Cambridge to London with very frequent trains.

Reactions: 2
I always thought he was very lucky to get his audience. He was at the right place at the right time with his medic-wannabe audience and computer skills to get ahead of the game.
Hence it's bizarre that he's set himself up as a YouTube guru just getting past 2mil subscribers. If you look at people like Patricia Bright and Lilly Singh, it's easy to see that popularity on YouTube quickly wanes. The YouTube audience is fickle. So why invest everything in being popular on YouTube? What will the part-time YT academy do if his channel is waning?
I mean any sensible person would realize that they had an extreme stroke of luck by being of a certain demographic and appealing to a certain demographic at the right time. No I'm not racist but let's call things as they are. His comment section is full of Indians and Pakistanis lavishing praise on him. Although to be fair, recently even they've been shitting on him in the comments.

Combine that with being a harmless inoffensive wet rag personality-wise and one could see how he rose. The "doctor" thing gave him a huge boost in credibility and blind admiration from people incapable of seeing through his bullshit but, as with all things, what goes up must eventually come down. Once all the rich fans are exhausted, I highly doubt that someone would be willing to throw a few thousand at him after they take a look at his channel. The dwindling views and scummy vibe of his recent videos just shows that he's on some entrepreneurship businessman kick and just doesn't wanna get off that horse. Once PTYA goes to tit, which it inevitably will, he's probably gonna leave a bunch of people unemployed and stick to shilling his sponsors in every video.

I also thought it really strange. In post-pandemic world where every sensible person in London is thinking about how they can move out of London and continue working, especially with work-from-home ethos and online meetings, why would you move into London when your whole business is online anyway. It seems such an inexperienced decision. You're right, it is ridiculously easy to commute from Cambridge to London with very frequent trains.
It's less strange than it is pathetic. His kind of "business" never needs this large of a team or this amount of ridiculous logistics. There are channels out there 2-3 times his size that still film their videos in a bedroom or dedicated room inside the house, managing a significantly higher sound quality and aesthetic than he's been able to come up with. Since he's found this "businessman" teet to suckle on, he's been constantly putting out related content and talking about expansions and rentals in the capital. Sounds like he just wants to pay a bunch of people to sit around a table with him in some "fancy" office and pretend to actually give a tit. I do wonder if the employees actually believe they're doing good work and contributing to some greater cause or they've just been so brainwashed that they can't see through the BS. Maybe they're all fans and the rose tinted glasses haven't fallen off yet.

Reactions: 6
He has drunken his own kool-aid.

Remember when he said he doesn't do his own laundry or cleaning or cooking because the cost of doing paying someone to do that for X hours a week is less than if he spent X hours a week making a podcast or a Youtube video or something. There's nothing wrong with paying a cleaner if you are really busy and can afford that but

You can tell with Ali that he has taken his own advice to heard so now it is not worth doing anything that doesn't pay money. Why would you put in 5 hours a day to study for the USMLE when you could make a podcast instead and it would pay more? It's simple maths!

It's less strange than it is pathetic. His kind of "business" never needs this large of a team or this amount of ridiculous logistics. There are channels out there 2-3 times his size that still film their videos in a bedroom or dedicated room inside the house, managing a significantly higher sound quality and aesthetic than he's been able to come up with. Since he's found this "businessman" teet to suckle on, he's been constantly putting out related content and talking about expansions and rentals in the capital. Sounds like he just wants to pay a bunch of people to sit around a table with him in some "fancy" office and pretend to actually give a tit. I do wonder if the employees actually believe they're doing good work and contributing to some greater cause or they've just been so brainwashed that they can't see through the BS. Maybe they're all fans and the rose tinted glasses haven't fallen off yet.
He is jealous of his brother being involved in an an actual functional start up with an idea and wants to create some stupid start up feeling for his youtube channel.

Reactions: 6