Age gap in a relationship?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering your thoughts on age gaps in relationships? What’s the oldest/youngest you would date? How old is too old?

Reactions: 1
My husband is 12 years older than me. I am late 20s, it isn't a big deal. He doesn't look older, he looks young for his age. And I don't tend to think about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My ex was 12 years older than me. Didn’t matter at all at first. Five years in it really started to show in various ways so I wouldn’t be in a relationship with that large gap again.

Reactions: 5
Could you extend further?
Yes sure, a main one was big difference in sex drive, he couldn’t be bothered as the relationship went on. Could be quite old fashioned in views and got more stuck in his ways, he used to treat me as if I was young and naive. These things may have been down to just a relationship breaking down but I definitely remember feeling at the time that age was a factor. I also wanted children, he said he was too old. But annoyingly went on to have two children with his next girlfriend who was a good few years younger than me!

Reactions: 8
The biggest age gap was 9 years but I've not really ever dated anyone younger than me. My current partner is 4 years older than me.

The 9 year age gap was fine for me but he already had children and although he said he would have kids again, I personally couldn't see it ever happening as he liked the partying lifestyle too much. We was friends before and after we was together. It was his lifestyle that put me off, not the fact he had kids or his age.

Me and my partner have a 14 year gap. I'm 28 he's 42. Been together 4 years and it works really well for both of us. He amazingly has no baggage as was in a partnership for early 30s where there were no kids. We both want the same things going forward and have same values humour etc so it works and think we're just about under the wire with regards to the gap. Wouldnt want it much bigger but I prefer someone who is more mature and has their head sorted.

Reactions: 9
Biggest age gap was 10 years older (18 and 28), we were together 5 years but wanted very different things. He wanted to start a family, I wanted to go out and sleep with other people 😆

Currently married to a man 3 years younger then me. I'm

I haven't thought about what would be too old or too young. But I imagine pensioner or if I'm old enough to be their mum might be it 😆

I do think I prefer a bit younger. I've yet to grow up though 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
My ex husband was 16 years my senior.

I would never do a relationship with such an age gap again either.

At first it was a novelty to me, I felt like a princess as I was spoilt. He did have to put up with alot of cradle snatcher/pedalo comments though as I look considerably young for my age as it is. He looked older.

Further in, he was very physically and mentally abusive and I definately think my age was a factor. I often felt like a silly kid and was treated as such.

He had different values and like another member said about theirs, they were very old hat. Strict if you will. It didn't help he was ex military either.

Then it came to music tastes. Way too different.

In conversations where he had friends his own age I would often feel like a spare bit of holly if any nostalgia was bought up. I didn't remember anything from his youth and he didn't care much for mine.

• Heart
My ex was 17 years older than me. I'm mid 30s he was early 50s. We didn't get on with each others friends. He was very much into staying in whereas I still liked going out a bit. He was set in his ways and had loads of baggage from previous relationships too. I'd never date with that bigger age gap again

I’ve never actually been in a relationship with someone significantly older than me - my boyfriends have all either been the same age (give or take a few months) or younger. The biggest gap was him being 4 years younger. I’ve never even dated a guy more than 5 years older than me!! It’s not even a preference, I think I just attract younger guys because I look young myself - (I’ve been with my partner for 7 years so I don’t really know what it would be like now). If I were single I think the oldest I’d go would be 40 (I’m coming up to 32).

Me and my boyfriend are like two peas in a pod. Been together two and a half years 💙 I'm 27 and he's nearly 30.

My ex was a year younger than me and it was diabolical. (Immaturity/heavy mummies boy) I was 23 and he'd just turned 22.

Ex before that was 4 years older (I was 20, he was 24...hes now 31 and the biggest loser ever thanks to his commitment issues and toxic traits 💃)

I've dated men around 8-10 years older but it's never gotten serious. I was messing about with a 28 year old when I was 19 and he wanted us to be exclusive and I was like NOOOOO you're too serious and old. Felt bad because he was genuinely a nice fella.

Reactions: 2
I’m 25 and currently talking to someone who is 12 years older and not sure if this is too much! He definitely doesn’t look his age and has no children which is a bonus to me!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Nice thread. I'm a single 25 yo and i personally haven't met a guy younger who was mature enough.
I feel like younger guys would probably change their mind/still growing up? 🤷‍♀️
I think rn i'd prefer a 27-30 yo guy (so 2-5 years gap).

I also think the most important thing is that we get along, know what we want, be comfortable with the age gap.

My dad and my step-mum have an age gap of 19 years. She was in her 20s when they got married and he was in his 40s. My dad looks young for his age and has always been a bit different to my friends' dads. I could never see him being with someone his own age when he started dating again. My step-mum is a bit of an older soul so they kind of met somewhere in the middle.

Anyway when I was single the idea of an age gap never bothered me but my husband is only a few months older than me. However if I were single again, I'd not date that much older. My dad is in his 60s now and is fit and healthy but the age gap shows more in their opinions on politics and what they want to do to pass the time. They seem happy enough but it's not for me. Should he get sick or ill in the next 10 to 15 years she'll be looking after an old man while still pretty young.

I think in your 20s or 30s the dashing older man is an attractive prospect. Less so when he's a pensioner and you're not.

Reactions: 6
My fiancé is 8 years older than me. We’ve been together 5 years we got together when he was 28 and I was 20. Had our first baby when I was 22 and due another one in 3 weeks 🥰 So for me an age gap isn’t an issue as long as u are kinda both on the same path in life (eg both wanting to settle down etc) The only time we ever really realise our age gap is when talking about tv shows/music growing up. Eg he was watching malcom in the middle earlier and he said it was one of his faves, I said I’ve never seen it and I googled and saw first episode was 2000. I was 5 he would have been 13 🤣 but things like that are really the only times when we remember we are different ages!!

• Heart
Reactions: 2