Actually Honest - skincare and makeup reviews #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I keep reading things about how SPF 50 is a bad idea and to use SPF 30 instead. Does anyone know more about this and can explain if this is a thing? I’m aware SPF 50 is not actually a huge amount more protective than SPF 30, but people have been suggesting it’s ‘bad’. I wonder if it’s because people think they can put a pea sized amount on once and go out in 40 degree heat to a water park in continental Europe or Turkey or somewhere and no bother reapplying? Rather than it being ineffective by itself? I also read it clogs pores and causes chaos. I mean, I say all this but I’m a devoted SPF 50 user. I use the ‘once’ stuff but apply it as often as the ‘normal’ stuff 🤣 I sometimes come home from holiday paler than when I went away!

I keep reading things about how SPF 50 is a bad idea and to use SPF 30 instead. Does anyone know more about this and can explain if this is a thing? I’m aware SPF 50 is not actually a huge amount more protective than SPF 30, but people have been suggesting it’s ‘bad’. I wonder if it’s because people think they can put a pea sized amount on once and go out in 40 degree heat to a water park in continental Europe or Turkey or somewhere and no bother reapplying? Rather than it being ineffective by itself? I also read it clogs pores and causes chaos. I mean, I say all this but I’m a devoted SPF 50 user. I use the ‘once’ stuff but apply it as often as the ‘normal’ stuff 🤣 I sometimes come home from holiday paler than when I went away!
What is meant to be bad about it?

What is meant to be bad about it?
I saw two totally seperate things in two different places. One was about SPF 50 clogging pores and causing chaos with your skin, the other was that seemingly SPF 50 ‘didn’t work’ and people have ended up sunburned when they’ve used 50 but haven’t when they’ve used 30. With the latter, I suspect people become complacent with SPF 50 but I wasn’t sure about the first thing? I take it all with a pinch of salt I was just curious if anyone knew anything that could enlighten me.

Reactions: 1
I saw two totally seperate things in two different places. One was about SPF 50 clogging pores and causing chaos with your skin, the other was that seemingly SPF 50 ‘didn’t work’ and people have ended up sunburned when they’ve used 50 but haven’t when they’ve used 30. With the latter, I suspect people become complacent with SPF 50 but I wasn’t sure about the first thing? I take it all with a pinch of salt I was just curious if anyone knew anything that could enlighten me.
Take a look through this girl’s posts. She’s a chemist and expert on SPF. She does a lot of debunking other people’s claims.
There’s an intresting reel on why people claim long wear sunscreen doesn’t work. It does but it’s because you miss bits and don’t reapply whereas if you weren’t using long wear, you’d reapply and probably get those missed spots.
She talks about how Aussie SPF has much higher stricter tests vs the EU so for a 50 rating it has to stay at 50 for 4 hours whereas an EU rated one could be down to spf25 by 4hrs but still be sold as spf50.
She explains how spf starts to break down over time, why we need to reapply and how much etc. I mean wayyyyyy more info that most of us will ever really care for but it’s quite interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you, the I need a nude palette looks perfect for the looks she usually goes for. Any rec’s for products to pair with it? I know she’s ok for brushes and they can be quite personal when you find favourites anyway, but maybe a good quality highlighter or something? I’m so clueless so no idea what I’m looking for but she really deserves a treat this birthday.
Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Filter is the best highlighter out there.

Anyone else a bit disappointed in Skin & Me? For the first month my skin looked lovely and calm, then they changed my prescription and 2 months later my skin has never recovered. I’ve still got acne and rosacea. If I’m going to still have red skin and spots I may as well give up and go back to high street skin care.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Anyone else a bit disappointed in Skin & Me? For the first month my skin looked lovely and calm, then they changed my prescription and 2 months later my skin has never recovered. I’ve still got acne and rosacea. If I’m going to still have red skin and spots I may as well give up and go back to high street skin care.
I have to say it's been amazing for me, it finally sorted my acne out and been using it for a year now, with only occasional hormonal spot here and there. Maybe they could adjust your prescription but maybe it's just not for you, I've heard mixed opinions but it's the only thing that has worked for me

I used it for a month and it’s given me the worst perioral dermatitis. They’ve sent me some ointment to clear it up but it’s taking a while and it’s still not gone. I feel totally flat and miserable about my skin at the moment tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
No idea. On Wednesday I applied moisturiser which contained SPF50, then a separate facial suncream SPF50 and on top my foundation also has SPF50. One small strip by my hairline got lightly burned. I can’t see how all 3 products missed that spot so I should imagine it wore off. It might sound like overkill but I’m a redhead.

I read that, for example if you use SPF30 if you’d usually burn in say 10 minutes then if you apply SPF30 it means you will burn after 30 times your usual burn time, eg 300 minutes. I also read that even if you reapply you can’t then stay out for an additional 300 minutes, it is not accumulative.

Reactions: 2
No idea. On Wednesday I applied moisturiser which contained SPF50, then a separate facial suncream SPF50 and on top my foundation also has SPF50. One small strip by my hairline got lightly burned. I can’t see how all 3 products missed that spot so I should imagine it wore off. It might sound like overkill but I’m a redhead.

I read that, for example if you use SPF30 if you’d usually burn in say 10 minutes then if you apply SPF30 it means you will burn after 30 times your usual burn time, eg 300 minutes. I also read that even if you reapply you can’t then stay out for an additional 300 minutes, it is not accumulative.
You actually shouldn’t do this - the products mix and make eachother less effective. I really rate Ultrasun, I genuinely only need to apply it once a day

You actually shouldn’t do this - the products mix and make eachother less effective. I really rate Ultrasun, I genuinely only need to apply it once a day
Absolutely. Especially if one is mineral and one is chemical.
It’s also worth thinking if you’re spreading the cream from the center of your face to your hairline so it’s too spread out by the time it gets there.
I think it’s 2 finger lengths of cream for the whole face & Dr Sam recommends applying like this, dotting it on first, so you get even coverage.
IMG_4021.jpeg

I’m personally tit with spf and never get full cover as who wants sunscreen in their hair?! Kicking myself though because these last few days of sun have brought back the melasma/pigmentation I’ve spent the last months treating. Need to up my game.

I think the mix is actually fine as long as you allow the products to fully dry down before you apply the next, it’s when they are still wet/dewy and you layer that they are prevented from forming the protective mask. Eg if you treat is the same as you would a retinoid in the evening - moisturiser, wait 15 mins or so, sunscreen, then wait, then follow up with your makeup (I tend to use a powder spf so there is less chance of disrupting the main sunscreen), then if you are misting through the day.

I love the smell of the L'Occitaine shampoo and conditioner (the damage repair one) but I find it sits really heavy on my hair and just doesn't work for me. Are there any other shampoos and conditioners you could recommend that have a similar smell? It's really unique!

I have Melasma and I hate it! Have managed to lighten it over the years with Dermatica (hydroquinone and niacinamide), but it’s still there.

Has anyone had laser treatment for it and, if so, did it work? X

I have Melasma and I hate it! Have managed to lighten it over the years with Dermatica (hydroquinone and niacinamide), but it’s still there.

Has anyone had laser treatment for it and, if so, did it work? X
I had IPL pigment clearance treatment for freckles but unfortunately my melasma is too close to my eye to be treated. IPL worked well on my freckles so I'd give it a try if your melasma is not near your eye.
I also tried cryotherapy on my melasma, it faded slightly but it's still there! I'm currently using Ultrasun 50 Anti-pigmentation - a month in and it has definitely faded so I'm going to crack on with that 😊

I had IPL pigment clearance treatment for freckles but unfortunately my melasma is too close to my eye to be treated. IPL worked well on my freckles so I'd give it a try if your melasma is not near your eye.
I also tried cryotherapy on my melasma, it faded slightly but it's still there! I'm currently using Ultrasun 50 Anti-pigmentation - a month in and it has definitely faded so I'm going to crack on with that 😊
thank you! I have one area on my upper cheek so quite near to my eye so maybe that wouldn’t work! I have been using an SPF recommended by a dermatologist for years (Heliocare) but will look at UltraSun. It’s such an annoying condition - I feel like my skin just looks blemished/dirty! X

the ultrasun is amazing isn't it?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.