Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tbf I dont think its that. My skin was breaking out way before I bought it so it may well help... :D just putting the feelers out.

and yes I put HA and Snail Mucin on damp skin.

Im using the Medik8 PHA. Not sure how hydrating it is but I do actually like it.

Ive seen the Curel moisturising cream hyped up loads actually.
Is that the press and glow by Medik 8? I was always under the impression that was an exfoliating one but gentler than glycolic acid is, so I wouldn’t be using it every night if you are, 2-3 times a week - that might be making you more dry.

Hydrating toners/mists - elemis ginseng toner, josh rosebrook hydrating accelerator, sukin - hydrating mist (can get this in holland and barret), the dr jart ceramide mist/spray and of course the curel deep moisture spray. They’re ones I’d look at using with your HA and snail mucin, I’d spray before HA then spray before snail mucin.

The superdrug thing could be making you break out as it’s normal to with new stuff but I wouldn’t bank on it as it’s full of ceramides and amino acids which are great for your skin, I use it with snail mucin 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have seen so many people absolutely raving about the new revolution IRL foundation. Anyone here tried it?? I’m tempted
I looked at this the other day . Didn’t buy any as I was unsure what shade to pick ( the shop I was in didn’t have loads in stock ). Tempted to try it.

Try reducing the frequency you use it and use moisturiser before skin + me as well as after. Make sure you avoid more sensitive areas such as eyes, mouth and sides of nose as per the pic below

View attachment 1175436
Ahh I like Gemma. Been following her YouTube channel for the last couple of years. I find her videos to be really informative and relevant ( we are 6 months apart age wise ) and experience some. Of the same issues she does.
The channel is called pampered wolf on YouTube .

Reactions: 4
I got a free sample of IRL with an order from Revolution Beauty. They might still be doing it? I swatched in the shop and it's impressively full coverage, but that's not the one for me! Definitely worth checking out if that's what you want, though.

I think it was this thread where someone said about using skin food before foundation, I would have never of used it as I thought it was too thick and greasy but it’s changed my make up SO much. So thank you whoever suggested that ☺

Reactions: 1
I think it was this thread where someone said about using skin food before foundation, I would have never of used it as I thought it was too thick and greasy but it’s changed my make up SO much. So thank you whoever suggested that ☺
it possibly could have been me as i said it’s meant to be similar to bobbi brown face base and i use it before foundation! 😂 glad it’s working for you though!

• Heart
Can anyone recommend absolutely ANYTHING to help a 50 year old right side sleeper that’s trying to stop going too wrinkly round the eyes on one side only 😆

I had a look at some cut out pillows but nearly had a heart attack at the £400 to nearly £700 cost.

Is it worth trying to sleep with eye patches on? Anything really hydrating/plumping for the morning after?
Are you able to alternate sides or are you only able to sleep right or left side only? I have to cycle alternate sides/back due to medical issues, I see an osteopath for lots of reasons but mine really helps mitigate any imbalances and side effects from this and has shown me useful techniques and positions to help with support while I sleep- I don’t have any special pillows so I try to work with what I have/can afford. Silk and satin pillowcases help a lot though and can be quite cheap if you shop around.

You also might find facial taping helpful (I have). I’m attaching a link to a NaturalFaceBible video on taping for eye wrinkles - she’s 45 and uses taping/massage/acupressure with good effect. I am going to make a specific post about all this stuff soon but she is one of the people I follow and would recommend.

Hair care related instead of skincare and makeup, does anyone have any recommendations for fine hair?

I hated going to the hairdressers growing up and because of that I’ve never paid attention to my hair. It’s pretty flat and just lacking in any sort of volume and I have no idea where to start with hair care. I currently use Ouai’s fine hair shampoo which is okay but I don’t think it’s doing anything special especially for the price tag. Would love some recommendations 🙏🏻
I have recently found out about using rosemary oil for hair growth so plan to start applying that regularly mixed with black castor oil, I have one of those silicone scalp brushes with the short thick bristles you massage with - I do see a difference in volume after using it and washing and my hair quality seems to improve if I am consistent. I also occasionally exfoliate my scalp with the Aldi cheap AHA toner which helps with clearing the follicles and general build up. I’m looking for shampoo recommendations also though.

Last edited:
Are you able to alternate sides or are you only able to sleep right or left side only? I have to cycle alternate sides/back due to medical issues, I see an osteopath for lots of reasons but mine really helps mitigate any imbalances and side effects from this and has shown me useful techniques and positions to help with support while I sleep- I don’t have any special pillows so I try to work with what I have/can afford. Silk and satin pillowcases help a lot though and can be quite cheap if you shop around.

You also might find facial taping helpful (I have). I’m attaching a link to a NaturalFaceBible video on taping for eye wrinkles - she’s 45 and uses taping/massage/acupressure with good effect. I am going to make a specific post about all this stuff soon but she is one of the people I follow and would recommend.

I have recently found out about using rosemary oil for hair growth so plan to start applying that regularly mixed with black castor oil, I have one of those silicone scalp brushes with the short thick bristles you massage with - I do see a difference in volume after using it and washing and my hair quality seems to improve if I am consistent. I also occasionally exfoliate my scalp with the Aldi cheap AHA toner which helps with clearing the follicles and general build up. I’m looking for shampoo recommendations also though.
Thank you so much for this. Will definitely give this a go.

If you’re looking for a decent shampoo as a clarifier/thickener have you tried Aussie Pure Locks? It’s very good! Can’t seem to find it in the shops so got my last batch on eBay.

Finally! I bought those Kiko eyeshadow pens recommended on this thread and they are, quite simply, the best I’ve ever used. Un-creasable. Great colours. Last forever. Smooth application. Six quid each!

Reactions: 4
I rate Embroylisse moisturiser before make-up. Quite expensive but really plumps the skin and foundation sits nice on top of it.

I need a new retinol product but can’t afford my usual MediK8 crystal at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you so much for this. Will definitely give this a go.

If you’re looking for a decent shampoo as a clarifier/thickener have you tried Aussie Pure Locks? It’s very good! Can’t seem to find it in the shops so got my last batch on eBay.

Finally! I bought those Kiko eyeshadow pens recommended on this thread and they are, quite simply, the best I’ve ever used. Un-creasable. Great colours. Last forever. Smooth application. Six quid each!
Ooh I have seen this pens before and wondered if I should give them a try.

I rate Embroylisse moisturiser before make-up. Quite expensive but really plumps the skin and foundation sits nice on top of it.

I need a new retinol product but can’t afford my usual MediK8 crystal at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Bakuchiol is a good alternative to retinol and often less expensive. I get mine from Revolution, who also do plenty of good value Retinol products. What % were you thinking? Assuming a serum rather than a moisturiser?

I bought a tube of this off a Tiktok shop - hoping it arrives soon as I have heard it’s a good primer for foundation.

Ivy!!!! I don’t know what crystal level you are at but if you are on facebook you should join this group. I’ve started becoming a bit more frugal with how I get my skincare. I got a medik8 CR on there for £14 something instead of £79 and it’s only been used like twice - it turned up yesterday and it’s quite literally full. I also got a ren overnight recovery balm on ebay, brand new and still in packaging from ebay for £12 instead of £45 and then off that facebook page I got a moisturiser I wanted for £17 instead of £32. There’s always posts selling or looking for CR so have a look!

B98C2596-12A9-41EC-B08F-274B0BA59DEE.jpeg

Anyone recommend a lovely facewash/cleanser to use in the shower? Just for daily face washing, I don't wear much makeup and tend to remove it before showering anyway.
Combination skin but mostly dry and fairly sensitive. I've used Emma Hardie Moringa light and liked it 🤷‍♀️ but it's expensive for something I don't adore. And a Voya and an M&S product that were quite similar - nice enough but underwhelming.
So ideally something that smells lovely, doesn't strip my skin and has a gel-like rather than a creamy or balmy texture.
Price isn't that important. Something I can pick up in Boots would be handy but not a dealbreaker.
Clearly I'm not picky at all 😁

Anyone recommend a lovely facewash/cleanser to use in the shower? Just for daily face washing, I don't wear much makeup and tend to remove it before showering anyway.
Combination skin but mostly dry and fairly sensitive. I've used Emma Hardie Moringa light and liked it 🤷‍♀️ but it's expensive for something I don't adore. And a Voya and an M&S product that were quite similar - nice enough but underwhelming.
So ideally something that smells lovely, doesn't strip my skin and has a gel-like rather than a creamy or balmy texture.
Price isn't that important. Something I can pick up in Boots would be handy but not a dealbreaker.
Cerave face cleansers are great! I like the cream to foam one - doesn’t strip my skin and leave it feeling clean.

Cerave face cleansers are great! I like the cream to foam one - doesn’t strip my skin and leave it feeling clean.
Thanks! I use their SA cleanser from time to time, keeps my nose pores in check.
I'll pick up the one you've suggested but would still like a more luxurious one too 🙂

Thanks! I use their SA cleanser from time to time, keeps my nose pores in check.
I'll pick up the one you've suggested but would still like a more luxurious one too 🙂
Quoting myself here: I bought the Cerave one recommended above and a Nuxe oil cleanser because I love how Nuxe products smell and the assistant recommended it. Will report back once I've tried them a few times 🙂

Yonka lait netoyyant - gentle enough to use every day and literally smells so unreal!!! I always keep a bottle in the shower - it’s such a treat using it each evening! Great for all skin types too

ETA photo

Attachments

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.