Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pajxo

I swear by boots own range of Tea tree and Witch Hazel products! I was never a spotty teenager but now I’m in my mid 20’s I found myself breaking out in spots on my cheeks occasionally. I tried loads of expensive creams that didn’t do a thing and then one day I was in boots and a lady asked if she could help and I just said yeah actually help me find something to get rid of these awful spots 😂 she recommended the Tea Tree and Witch Hazel brand and omg it’s amazing, they have a huge range and most of it is around £4 each. I use the overnight gel which prevents spots and also the cleanser, toner and moisturiser and it is honestly the best thing ever! I rarely get spots anymore - super cheap too which is a bargain!

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Bumblebee

Chatty Member
I’m a bit of a make up and skin care addict. I’m always buying new products.
My go to’s though are clarins extra firming day cream, pixi glow tonic, Emma hardy balm cleanser or liz Earle polish. Pola night cream.

A couple of years ago I treated myself to that Creme de la mer moisturiser my skin has never been so irritated. I was so disappointed.

Reactions: 5

YellowLadybird

Chatty Member
Hey! Any recommendations for very dry skin (face)? it can also be quite sensitive at times.

The skin on my face gets really dry this time of year. I used to suffer with pretty bad eczema on my face but this was years ago. Any serum/face wash/moisturiser recommendations would be much appreciated! I’ve recently tried the cerave hydrating products but they seem to be drying it out even more.
I've just started using the Loreal Age Perfect range... allegedly it's for 65+ and I'm 30 but honestly it's SO moisturising and gives a lovely pinky glow and freshness to my skin.

Layering can help, like start with a serum (hyaluronic or polyglutamic based), then a water gel type moisturiser (I like Revolution Watermelon) and then a more creamy one. Obvs you have to let them sink in but it helps me when I need a real boost. Another great ingredient is Oat!

Also think about what you're using to cleanse - I stick mostly to oil cleanser with a bit of micellar after to mop up, and use a toner to make sure it's not continuing to suck the life out of my face. Easy to overdo it with a harsh cleanser but oil will get rid of almost anything if done properly.

If your skin is really painfully dry, the two things I'd recommend are Aveeno Skin Relief (thinner consistency) or Avene Cicalfate (thicker/paste-like) which never fail to help me out of a tight spot. The latter is a miracle worker for extreme broken skin BUT I doubt you could get it under makeup, so it's more of a night cream if you are going for the face.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I was watching QVC and they were flogging this device - a 'glo pro' (£150) - that was a roller with lots of needles. (Is this microdermaabrasion? I've no idea tbh). But you sort of roll your skin to make tiny holes then when you put on your product in sinks in better. Plus the sort of 'scarification' on a small scale encourages skin renewall or something like that.
Now apologies to anyone here who does this and it is good but I was horrified. Treating your face as this difficult 'thing' to be tackled so brutally with a specially invented device. And I can't believe puncturing your skin constantly is what nature intended - I'm sure if serums etc soak in easier then other nasties are getting in too.
Again apologies if I've totally missed the point. It just actually made me a bit sad that we as women are encouraged to believe this is normal. And the before and after pictures looked almost the same anyway.

Sorry to carry on ranting. But do we really want serums etc to sink in very deeply? I want mine to sit on my skin. I don't know enough of what is in products to be comfortable with them going subdermal.

Last edited:

theghosttown

VIP Member
Yeah they are absolutely amazing.

I use AM
Marine Hyaluronics
Niacenamide
Moisturising factors

PM
Marine Hyaluronics
Borage oil
Azelic acid

Chamomile butter from body shop is incredible for removing make up

ZLT123

Have you tried salicylic acid on your nose? The stridex red tub from the USA is really good, you can cut the pads in half to make a tub last longer.

The ordinary do a salicylic acid but I didn’t really like the texture.

Salicylic acid can get down into the pore to eat up the debris (at least that’s my understanding of it!) some people do the acid followed by a clay mask.
All of the ordinarys products have odd textures I think because they’re so basic

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
Not sure if this link will work as it’s from reddit:

This is an info graphic about some sunscreens and how they performed IRL

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
Botox is really very good. Works out reasonably affordable if you go twice a year and just get one area done. Then it comes to about £150 every quarter/£50 per month.
Not super cheap obviously but if wrinkles bother you then it’s soooo effective.

It’s also good if your face is very expressive and you want to avoid screwing your face into a frown in every meeting.

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
I've been thinking about my most repurchased skincare items and it's Heliocare advanced gel SPF 50. I've bought at least 4 tubes and I think I'm done experimenting with SPF creams (it says "gel", but is more of a cream). For reference: normal/combination skin, sensitive and usually reacts to almost anything. This sits well under makeup, and I skip moisturiser when wearing it.

OneLineResponse

VIP Member
The only primer I've ever liked is the smashbox hydrating one, the one in the blue tube. It helped with my skin looking flaky under foundation. I got mine cheap on depop though. My friend swears that a Barry m one is just as good and much cheaper but I've never tried it!

Straying from makeup/skin chat.. Anyone have any tips for greasy hair? I need a good shampoo!
Paul Mitchell or Davines - both worth the money and a little goes a long way.

petra23

Best -
Born this way foundation
UD Perversion mascara
Fenty lipglosses
Collection concealer
L'Oreal eyebrow pencil
Laura Mercier loose powder

Worst -
Benefit brow kit
Charlotte Tilbury matte lipsticks
Benefit hoola lite
UD Naked Skin foundation

Some of the bits I hate my friends absolutely love so I think it definitely depends on skin textures, tones etc. However, we all agree that the CT lipsticks are awful :ROFLMAO:

sleepingsatellite

Chatty Member
Can anyone recommend any products for hollow/ dark under eyes?
i have this problem too.

i’ve avoided them from the outset but i’m starting to see the benefit of under eye gel patches. Simple do a brightening one you can pick up from the supermarket to try out.

184DDCDF-8BAF-4269-B886-D31E8B4831E2.jpeg

sometimes my local Morrisons has them down to £2 a pair (£4 is not a good price point for one pair).

i’ve sinced moved on to Pixi BeautifEye which come in a tub of 30 pairs, i managed to snag that for under £20 with a code at lookfantastic.

• Heart

Base2019

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend anything to make eyelashes grow a bit thicker? Mine are not what they used to be.
Uk lash is amazing and far cheaper than revitalash 🥰

I read online that the ingredients in uk lash are also meant to be more potent than the revitalash. I looked into it a lot after chemo when I lost my lashes. Uk lash has been so good and I don’t even use it strictly every day

Aude

VIP Member
Thank you sooo much!!

I need to add spf to my list i ran out

The vitamin C is the gritty ordinary one and it really tingles when i put it on, it says on the back itll do that for a couple of weeks, so once its stopped doing that I'll try it in the daytime!

Ill start doing alternating nights on the retinol and niacinamide

I just want to be all glowy and radiant, im 26 so something to combat aging too. Do you have any toner or hydrating mist recommendations?
I would have said the same as @noseybirdxo - particularly about using an spf (every day) and about using a vitamin C serum in the morning. My understanding is that a topical vitamin C product helps to protect the skin from UV damage - hence using in the day rather than night.

Rather than the gritty Ordinary vitamin C, a lighter serum might be easier to incorporate into your morning routine. The one I use is by Garden of Wisdom (Victoria Health's own brand) called 'Vitamin C 23% Serum & Ferulic Acid'. It's around the same sort of price as The Ordinary.

• Heart

Bazaar99

Just found this thread, bloody love it!
I had suspected covid in April. Had all the symptoms, GP said I had a clinically moderate case. Well. I have never felt so shit. Months on I'm still having skin rashes, extreme fatigue and joint pain. However, I have found some total gems that have kept my symptoms largely under control so I hope this is helpful!
French pharmacy skincare only. Really stripped back regime. Bioderma sensibo micellar cleanser. Spritz of face toner from avene. Avene face cream or serum then Paula's choice 2% bha exfoliator once a week at most. I broke out in hives on my face, eczema came back. No problems since using these.
Allergic reactions to body sprays made me look and feel like I had severe sunburn. Bioderma do a thick body cream, soothed it straight away.
Joint pains - sbc do an arnica and sandalwood range. Body gel is soothing, muscke soak calmed down some inflammation that's in my spine (underlying inflammatory condition triggered again by the virus, dr thinks). They do a wintergreen cream, like deep heat. Really warming, use on tight sore muscles, it makes skin go red initially but really took the soreness out. I only used this last week, so a good month after the last allergic reaction. Fingers crossed it doesn't irritate me!
I hope that's helpful to anyone struggling with similar issues 😊

rosemarina

VIP Member
She’s already said it’s old news, known about it for ages. Thanks for knowing about it for ages but still shilling their products to us, “mate”.

• Sad

Nimblepimble

Hot Cloth Cleansers....The MASSIVE con is the price. Your going to have it on your skins for 30 seconds and then presumably if it's doing its job it should all come off along with the dirt. Seems crazy to use these massively expensive ones. So my criteria is does it smell nice and take off make up by nicely emulsifying with water.

Body Shop Oils of Life Intensely Revitalising Cleansing Oil-In-Gel. £8

SORRY SORRY SORRY

THIS IS A AFFILIATE LINK AND I MAY GET A SMALL PONY IF YOU BUY USING IT.

Last edited:
  • Haha

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I think one pot wonder (the face powder) is possibly better than high street. Other than that no. However, I like the offering as it’s quite a fun way to interact with make up when you don’t have time to shop in person.

Any recommendations of a good spf 30+ day cream which doesn’t clog pores and sits well under make up? More budget end as I get through it quickly. I used to use Simple’s one but it’s clogging my skin a bit.
Have you tried Biore watery essence? If you buy from YesStyle it’s free shipping to the UK if you spend over £30. I think it’s £7 a tube but they often have promotions. It’s so lightweight.

usandthem

Hey all
Can someone please help with my dry, flaky, red yet also clogged spotty skin?! What could I try?
Sounds like your skin is irritated and unbalanced. Is it normally on the dry side? I would suggest a very gentle cleanser- Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser, and a rebalancing serum like LRP Efficlar Duo which has niacinamide to help sort out the spots and a gentle moisturiser like Eucerin Ultra Sensitive Soothing Care which comes in different skin types to calm down your skin and support its repair. I wouldn’t use any harsh acids or retinol for awhile until your skin improves.