Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I am doing this too @PineappleQueen19 . Trying to do it with clothes and cosmetics.

Tattle has honestly helped do much as it has revealed the reality behind some of the content I was exposing myself to which was making me feel I needed to keep up.

Reactions: 6

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I moved house a while ago and I found a load of bags of skincare. I had gone through an awful phase of just buying stuff. Anyway I now am working my way through those bags (merrily ignoring best by dates) and just now refuse to keep buying products. I've realised they are mostly incredibly similar and my face tends to look the same as long I look after it. I do care about what I look like but like @Carryonnursing am trying to stop buying into the hype of buying more and more and more.

Just here to mention what is currently working for me. I’ve done a lot of research and had some fab advice on here. I have oily, blackheads, acne and large pores.
I was being lazy and only really used to use a face wipe ( horrifying, I know 🤦🏻‍♀️) and my skint was oily as heck! My make up would slide off my face and the only foundation that actually stayed was double wear but it’s heavy and expensive as fuck.
Anyway here’s what’s in currently doing:
AM
Cerave hydrating cleanser
La Roche-Posay effeclar duo
Also use the original make up primer
PM
Hot cloth cleanser
Cerave smoothing cleanser
La Roche-Posay effeclar duo/niacinamide/retinol serum
The double cleanse really helps take my make up off completely and my skin is clean!
I’ve not been doing it for long but already my skin is barely oily anymore, my acne has calmed down a lot. My breakouts are not as often and clearing a lot quicker. My pores feel clean and my skin feels hydrated. They don’t clog my pores and honestly I can say my face feels so my smoother and happier. Honestly this is insane! I’ve suffered with acne for about 15 years and I finally feel like I’m getting somewhere with it.
I also use a clay mask maybe once a week and the ordinary aha and bha acid exfoliator on a different day of the week. I don’t use anything else on my face the night I use the ordinary exfoliator other than La Roche-Posay moisturiser as I don’t want to over do it.
This is just what has been working for me. I’m not saying it will work for you also but if you do decide to try any of the products, please patch test first as I’d hate for you to have a reaction after trying something I recommended.
Also please don’t be discouraged if your skin gets worse. Mine was awful for a week after I started using the different products and then it started to clear up and calm down. It’s called ‘skin purging’ if you look it up you’ll understand more.
I also get horrendous hormonal ache round that time of the month ( sorry, tmi) and it’s not so bad at the moment compared to what it usually is.
This would work for men as well as women. They’re wonderous products for me and I’m so happy.
Congrats if you got this far, turned into a bit of an essay in the end 😂

• Heart

Kimchiisbae

Chatty Member
Afternoon ladies! I use Nivea. Twice a day morning and night, and also use it to prime my face before makeup. Im 30 years old and don't have a line on my face, and get complimented on my skin all the time how its blemish free and smooth! I know 30 sounds very young but I have been a mother since 18, have 3 children 2 of which have additional needs and i work bloody hard and have a stressful life, so in reality I should have a face like a dogs ballbag. Not only that my little granny always used Nivea and swore by it, and it also smells beautiful and makes me feel so fresh when I put it on. I have also tried the Lacura brand from Aldi, its fantastic as well. I also only ever wash my face with water, never soap. A lot of the time a high price tag means nothing with skin care.

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Has anyone (who doesn’t sell them!) used & rate the Lumi Spa cleanser and products from Nu Skin at all? Can only ever find sellers who use it so seems disingenuous even though the before and after are impressive…
I would avoid those because as far as I know they’re mlm companies that sell them - someone will correct me if I’m wrong. But I wouldn’t buy anything from an mlm scheme.

I’ve got a Foreo luna though and I love it. However, I don’t use it every day, just a couple of times a week is plenty and it gives a lovely fresh, smooth feeling to my skin.

MinnnieMouse

I came here to make a skincare thread, I'm glad there is one already. I just bought some decent retinol and vitamin c serum. Someone took a picture of me on sat and I was feeling really great until I saw the pic and now i could cry at how i look. I have fine lines on my forehead but my skin just looked saggy, like I was melting. My weight goes up and down and I'm wondering if its that which makes me look awful.
I have been consistent with moisturising for the past ten years and started using eye cream at the start of this year. I swear I dont think I look this bad in the mirror :(
I would bet you a mortgage payment that it was JUST a bad photo and that you look perfectly lovely in real life. I get compliments on my skin so I know it can't be too bad but put me in front of an iphone camera and I look like Gollum! xx

• Heart

Lolly12345

I am 29, and don’t have any wrinkles around the eye area, but I am forming them on the forehead... particularly frown line / between eyebrows. I don’t think that there’s anything you can do to prevent them here as it’s due to frowning... I’m interested in getting Botox soon to soften and prevent them from getting deeper.
I’m 35 and trying my first round of Botox next week after a consultation last week. I have a deep horizontal line across my forehead that I’d like to prevent getting any deeper! Friend of mine has had excellent results on frown lines between her eyebrows.

It’s also good if your face is very expressive and you want to avoid screwing your face into a frown in every meeting.
I once got told off for raising my eyebrows incredulously too many times in a meeting where some of my superiors were talking a spectacular amount of shite so hopefully that’ll be a side effect for me :m

• Haha
  • Heart

rosemarina

VIP Member
Great advice from @Jelly Bean there. I’m in my early 40s and have recently gained a ton of weight, much of it in my face (but most around my middle). Nothing fits any more, and I really sympathise on the whole thing, @TescoSainsburys. Hang in there.

Reactions: 5

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
The Ordinary is amazing for well priced high tech serums and toners!
It's actually one of the reasons I stopped following "Lady Hirons": she tried her hardest to not recommend it despite all the products basically being cheap and good dupes of the crazy expensive stuff she peddles nowadays (Tata Harper, Drunk Elephant, etc), and in the end was left with nothing to bitch about except "Oh they don't feel as a treat, a woman deserves a treat, and the packaging is not luxurious - this is the same woman who kept saying for years that over a certain price you're paying for packaging :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Sorry this rant may have belonged in the CH thread).

I'm against foam cleansers as they tend to really dry out the skin with long term use. Even oily skin needs moisture!

CherryAcid

VIP Member
I came here to make a skincare thread, I'm glad there is one already. I just bought some decent retinol and vitamin c serum. Someone took a picture of me on sat and I was feeling really great until I saw the pic and now i could cry at how i look. I have fine lines on my forehead but my skin just looked saggy, like I was melting. My weight goes up and down and I'm wondering if its that which makes me look awful.
I have been consistent with moisturising for the past ten years and started using eye cream at the start of this year. I swear I dont think I look this bad in the mirror :(

• Heart

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Funny how when you have money to spend on beauty they are the highest authority. When something goes awry in the industry it’s “don’t shoot the messenger” :unsure:

• Haha

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
The Heimish all clean balm is supposed to be amazing and it’s about £13 on YesStyle. They sell lots of good present stuff like those acid peeling socks for a few £££ and a dizzying amount of sheet masks!
They do a good range of sunscreens as well.
If anyone is interested in a review of my fave buys from there I would be happy to oblige! It’s changed my skincare game as things are so much more affordable but such an emphasis on ingredients that work!

lime

I might move on to tretinoin. I've been using various retinols for about 3 years and definitely see the effects. Mind you I'm only early 30s but I do always get told I look younger (genetics I know I know!) but I don't have lines or wrinkles. I do have terrible dark circles and hyperpigmentation but nothing some makeup can't fix. I started using Peter Thomas Roth which cost £70ish but now I use The Ordinary which is about a tenner and I actually prefer it. It has a really moisturising effect considering it's a retinol. The PTR one dried me out.

This is my absolute holy grail product:

It comes in small, medium and large sizes and it's not cheap (but also not the most expensive) but lasts months and months as I only use a pea sized amount. It works as a SPF50, moisturiser and CC cream in one. Maybe it would be different depending on skintone but I'm fair and like to have a 'glow' (not orange/tan) and this is perfect for that. I mix one pea sized amount with It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream in a couple of different shades depending on how tan I am, which is slightly "heavier"/more makeuppy, but also has SPF50 in it. That's my go-to base I don't wear foundation ever but with that said I like the "no makeup" look so if you're a glam girl you'd think I'm nuts lol.

For me retinol at night followed by SPF every day is my current routine. I've done 12 and even 20 step skincare routines over the years and I find my skin looks best when I just leave it alone, wash it in warm water, apply my retinol at night and make sure I wear my SPF every day. That was advice given to me by a dermatologist that charged a ridiculous amount for a separate issue I visited her for but that piece of advice I took and ran!

UndercoverRen

I love this thread! Just wanted to pop on and say that the Maybelline 4-in-1 perfection cream is really good. It’s like a matte primer which conceals, primes, blurs pores and is a like a BB cream. It leaves me a bit pale, but actually was great to use on the days I don’t want to wear make up but I still want an even skin tone.

Boots version of the ordinary products are definitely worth the hype.

Lilliepad

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend anything to make eyelashes grow a bit thicker? Mine are not what they used to be.
Jamaican black castor oil. Put a little on a spooly and brush through your lashes before bed (be careful it’s quite thick so very little goes a long way!)

Works for the scalp and eyebrows too.

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Hello everyone, does anyone have any recommendations for sunscreen that works over your foundation as a top-up throughout the day? I was thinking of some sort of spray, or maybe a light lotion to pat on over the top of make up that doesn't disrupt it. I'm sure I've read about this somewhere before but am currently drawing a mental blank.

And does anyone have any Elemis recommendations? I tried some of their things at a spa recently and thought they were great. Thank you! <3
Just to say that I’ve just bought the Garnier spf 50 spray that @Aude mentioned. I’ve only used it a couple of times but so far so good. It’s a very light mist spray, feels light on the skin and it’s a dry spray, so it doesn’t upset anything else that you’ve got on your face. I felt well protected too, as a top up in this hot weather.

I know pixi products have very mixed reviews, but it’s taken me nearly a year to replace the moisturiser I loved as it’s recipe changed. I’ve bought over 10 moisturisers some really quite expensive and for my dry (dull in winter) skin. The pixi rose ceramide cream has been the only stand out. Really sinks into my skin nicely, doesn’t pil and seems to smooth my skin too.

• Heart

Prognosis Negative

@horsey1234, I don’t have roseca but have some issues due to autoimmune conditions and chemotherapy etc and find I am very prone to being very red/sore/irritation etc when I was using any kind of cleanse and polish type product and very warm/hot water.

I pretty much only use my hands to wash my face in cool or cold water and love Paula’s Choice Calm face wash- takes of everything and zero irritation so I just double cleanse with that if I also don’t wash my face in the morning if I’ve done it in the evening and clean pillows/hands etc. Anything other than minimal washing destroys my face skin for some reason🤷🏻‍♀️

@noseybirdxo, will keep an eye out for that set thank you. Ceramides are so helpful- I used to like the Superdrug pure serums, v cheap so I used to mix them into my moisturiser. I currently have The Inkey List ceramide treatment which I plan to mix with the QV when it arrives hopefully tomorrow 😊

Hylauronic acid doesn’t do much for me topically so I take it as a supplement instead - the exception to this is the Glow Recipe Watermelon Hydrating Mist which is so amazing but so expensive I can’t use it as an everyday mist so am looking for something more affordable. At the moment I am using Missha WateryEssence toner instead and was kind of slapping it on before moisturiser haha. I want to try snail mucin at some point though.

@ThisIsMyDragName, thank you I’ve heard about astral cream but couldn’t remember what it was called - tried Googling basic face creams earlier and got nowhere 😂.

@Ivanhoe, I do use and see results from things like retinol/tret/etc but the thing that actually works for me is face massage/ exercises/acupressure I do myself at home.
If anyone is interested I am happy to share some resources but I understand it’s not for everyone/this is a products thread, however I do get exceptional results from these techniques.

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
I’m impressed with Laura Kennedy’s work in The ST Style mag today - she is currently acting beauty editor for them and has a double page spread on foundation for super pale skin (she’s Irish) - she has a lovely writing style and the recs are a good mix of high and low end.

And Sarah Jossel’s column is great too (as ever) - about good actives to use for this time of year. She mentions Avon’s new vegan vit c shot powder is getting rave reviews and Dr Sam has released an all-in-one night serum with retinoid, azelaic, bakuchiol and niacinamide. Interesting to see the move away from layering singular actives a la The Ordinary, Inkey List.