5 year plan?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you have a 5 year plan?

I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently so I’ve written up a 5 year plan/bucket list including personal goals, places I’d like to travel, things I’d like to do etc..

of course I don’t plan on living by it step for step, I was just curious if anyone else has one? What’s on it? do you try to live by it, or is it just a guide?

I've had goals set up since I was about 14 and I've reached one of my biggest goals this year.
I have a rough plan for a year or two ahead, and an idea for 5 years ahead but nothing specific. Eg I want a promotion in 3 years, with Covid happening I might need to add additional 6 months to it but it gives me guidance on what to do if it makes sense.

I've had goals set up since I was about 14 and I've reached one of my biggest goals this year.
I have a rough plan for a year or two ahead, and an idea for 5 years ahead but nothing specific. Eg I want a promotion in 3 years, with Covid happening I might need to add additional 6 months to it but it gives me guidance on what to do if it makes sense.
Makes total sense! Just wasn’t sure if I was trying to control my life too much 🤣 I’m not 100% sure if I want kids yet but if I do it’ll be once I’ve turned 30, I’m 25 now so just trying to squeeze in all the things I want to do before I have kids

Reactions: 3
My OH wants children and I'm indifferent, but if he insists we need to start trying in the next two years.

I regret not planning my 20ies better. It feels like I've wasted a decade on nothing.

I'm going to write a bucket list and aim to do them all (in no particular order) I am already in a relationship, own a house and have a son. This lockdown has given me time to reflect and I have been with my partner for 9 year since I was 17! All that time my life has revolved around him. As much as possible I've decided I want my time now..that might sound selfish to some. Also made the resolution to not ask my partner to have my son (like he is babysitting for me) and just tell him that I am doing rather than asking permission. Obviously my son still comes first but I want time for me now, life is too short! Wear the dress,eat the cake, go to the concert,do the bungee jump!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This entire pandemic has made me rethink everything.
When this has calmed down I'm going to finish working and spend as much time with the kids and hubby as possible.
Especially while they're still young.
Few years travelling before they start school.
Life's way too short to spend it working and I'm fortunate enough not to have to for much longer.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Not a set plan but I’d like to save money, return to U.K., buy a house and get a dog. I’m single and can’t see that changing any time soon.

Reactions: 6
Do you have a 5 year plan?

I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently so I’ve written up a 5 year plan/bucket list including personal goals, places I’d like to travel, things I’d like to do etc..

of course I don’t plan on living by it step for step, I was just curious if anyone else has one? What’s on it? do you try to live by it, or is it just a guide?
My friends mock me as I’ve always had a plan and stuck by it. I knew what job I wanted when I was 5 and stuck with it. However baby number 3 wasn’t in the plan so I’m now trying to embrace the new plan 😂

I regret not planning my 20ies better. It feels like I've wasted a decade on nothing.
I had our first child in my 20s so while not wasted, I do think I wasted most of the decade in regards to money so I totally get that feeling. Now early 30s and still repaying debts and wanting to save. Wish I had been sensible much earlier!

My 5 year plan is to be debt free, which is a year away, then save for a house deposit which will take a further 2-3 years.

I had our first child in my 20s so while not wasted, I do think I wasted most of the decade in regards to money so I totally get that feeling. Now early 30s and still repaying debts and wanting to save. Wish I had been sensible much earlier!

My 5 year plan is to be debt free, which is a year away, then save for a house deposit which will take a further 2-3 years.
I think when I say wasted I mean, I could have saved more, travel more, I should have had more professional confidence.

In my 20ies, I got my bachelor's degree, my master's, my postgraduate diploma and had two great jobs. I'm still in my 2nd job... But I think I've wasted a lot of time too.

Reactions: 2
I think when I say wasted I mean, I could have saved more, travel more, I should have had more professional confidence.

In my 20ies, I got my bachelor's degree, my master's, my postgraduate diploma and had two great jobs. I'm still in my 2nd job... But I think I've wasted a lot of time too.
Sounds like you had a busy decade! I think you’ve set yourself up well for the future with what you have achieved so far.

Definitely can relate to not saving or travelling enough. I hope I can travel more once the children are older.

Sounds like you had a busy decade! I think you’ve set yourself up well for the future with what you have achieved so far.

Definitely can relate to not saving or travelling enough. I hope I can travel more once the children are older.
I know so many people who travelled around the world, been to Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc i love the idea of backpacking. We don't have kids and we were planning to see more this and next year, but covid is making it impossible. I think I would like to travel with my kid(a) if we have them, but it won't be backpacking until they are older. Ech.

I’m 22 and 5 year plan was to save, move out then have child with my boyfriend. We have already done a bit of travelling as we done a 9 week trip last summer so I was happy with that. But this pandemic has made me realise I don’t want bills and responsibility to soon, and want to make up for time I feel I’m losing just now. So we are going to use this time to save as we aren’t going anywhere, and end of next year do a working holiday visa in Australia with a bit of travelling around it. And then come back and revisit my original plan

Reactions: 7
Mine is to move in to a council house where i feel i will have a bit more security instead of private renting, set up my own business.. Take my 2 kids abroad

I have a rough plan in place with my partner. We are both mid 20’s. We were in the mortgage process when this all happened so that’s currently on hold until it’s all over. We are due to get married at the end of the year. There will be a second child in there somewhere after the wedding but we’ve decided that we want to travel as much as we can before our son starts school in 2022. We’ve spent a lot of time saving like mad with no holidays so when we’ve bought a house, we want to put the extra money into travelling.

I’m 22 and 5 year plan was to save, move out then have child with my boyfriend. We have already done a bit of travelling as we done a 9 week trip last summer so I was happy with that. But this pandemic has made me realise I don’t want bills and responsibility to soon, and want to make up for time I feel I’m losing just now. So we are going to use this time to save as we aren’t going anywhere, and end of next year do a working holiday visa in Australia with a bit of travelling around it. And then come back and revisit my original plan
I did a working holiday visa in Australia and New Zealand with some travelling and had the best time. You won’t regret it. Do it while you can.

Wow, that’s amazing and I wouldn’t say a waste at all.
I’m one of the ones who spent it travelling 🤣

• Heart
I did a working holiday visa in Australia and New Zealand with some travelling and had the best time. You won’t regret it. Do it while you can.

Wow, that’s amazing and I wouldn’t say a waste at all.
I’m one of the ones who spent it travelling 🤣
I took an unplanned break between undergrad and postgrad and now I think I could have gone travelling at least for 6 months...

Reactions: 1
We spent 3 weeks in Australia last year and loved it! So looking forward to going back and seeing more

Me and husband did have a five year plan a few years ago. Then something happened and our 5 years became then (if that makes sense) we now have no long term plans 🤣 we have a child, ,mortgage and are both in jobs we are happy with.

I did a plan when I was 25 of things I wanted to achieve by 30 and out of about 15 things I managed about 4 :LOL: .

Now I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself, I set a couple of goals each year that I know are achievable. The next 5 years will hopefully involve buying our first home, maybe some sort of career progression, I’d like to travel to a few new countries, maybe have a kid If I want/can have one.