The Royal Family #47

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What if a George wanted to become a Georgina? Louis a Louise or Charlotte a Charles?

• Haha
Reactions: 2
What if a George wanted to become a Georgina? Louis a Louise or Charlotte a Charles?
Well the reality is we don’t know as it’s never happened. We like to think that the men in grey suits have plans in place for all eventualities that we just aren’t privy to just yet

I would be interested to see what the take on or legal argument around surrogacy would be, though. Perhaps we'll see it in a peerage succession in the next decade or two and see the groundwork laid.
The Marquess and Marchioness of Bath had their second son by surrogacy in the USA because she was told that another pregnancy would kill her due to a rare pregnancy complication in her first. Obviously this won't come into play unless something happens to their first child or he is childless (the boys are primary school age) but there is already the potential for this legal situation.

Reactions: 3
If George was gay and wasn’t willing to hide it (and nor should he) then I honestly think he would abdicate/give up his place in the LOS in which case it would go to Charlotte. I could see them being very open about the why and it could in turn lead to an overhaul of the system, with “Queen Charlotte” seen as a visionary who changed the system in support of the brother who gave up the throne for love etc. Would make a great series of the crown 😂😂

Reactions: 17
Whats the situation with Charles?? Is he going down hill? I saw an article this morning from an Asian newspaper.. I thought it was nonsense.now TMZ are reporting things are not good with him??
All the major royals have very detailed funeral plans that are updated frequently. Likewise big media organisations like the BBC are always prepared for the worst (wisely, given tragedies like Princess Diana's death).
I wouldn't read too much into this. He's returning to some public duties this week.

Reactions: 17
If George was gay and wasn’t willing to hide it (and nor should he) then I honestly think he would abdicate/give up his place in the LOS in which case it would go to Charlotte. I could see them being very open about the why and it could in turn lead to an overhaul of the system, with “Queen Charlotte” seen as a visionary who changed the system in support of the brother who gave up the throne for love etc. Would make a great series of the crown 😂😂
I'm clueless about succession issues, however if gay marriage is legal, why couldn't the heir marry his choice of same sex partner.
Edited to say, it probably wouldn't be allowed and have something to do with having biological children born from the body etc..

I'm clueless about succession issues, however if gay marriage is legal, why couldn't the heir marry his choice of same sex partner.
Edited to say, it probably wouldn't be allowed and have something to do with having biological children born from the body etc..
I presume they could get married but their children couldn't inherit the throne?

Reactions: 3
Since the CofE doesn’t allow same sex marriage, a gay royal would have to have a civil marriage. Obviously the late queen didn’t attend C&Cs civil wedding as she was the head of the CofE, but I wonder if this would be the case going forwards. Would Charles be obligated to not attend a civil wedding, even though he had one himself?
I think, as the monarch is the head of the Church of England, a fair bit of what would potentially happen is going to be based on what the Church allows at that current time. Like you said at the moment CofE doesn’t allow same sex marriage so if this is the same with George (and he happens to be gay) then he wouldn’t be able to get married. Now to be a monarch you don’t have to be married I don’t believe? And I’m not sure if a civil marriage is recognised by the church? So it could be that legally George would be married but spiritually/religiously he would be seen as an unmarried monarch?
Interesting questions have been thrown up by this debate! I wonder what the answers could be officially.
---
I believe that to have a place in the line of succession would require a child to be a legitimate bloodline descendent of the Hanoverian line. So if George marries a man and they adopt, the adopted child/ren couldn't inherit.
Sorry to quote you again Lammington but I wonder, if the hypothetical baby is biologically George’s then the child would be able to inherit? Wondering aloud here to myself.

Reactions: 8
I thought I read the king was resuming duties next week so can’t be at deaths door?

Reactions: 4
I think, as the monarch is the head of the Church of England, a fair bit of what would potentially happen is going to be based on what the Church allows at that current time. Like you said at the moment CofE doesn’t allow same sex marriage so if this is the same with George (and he happens to be gay) then he wouldn’t be able to get married. Now to be a monarch you don’t have to be married I don’t believe? And I’m not sure if a civil marriage is recognised by the church? So it could be that legally George would be married but spiritually/religiously he would be seen as an unmarried monarch?
Interesting questions have been thrown up by this debate! I wonder what the answers could be officially.
---

Sorry to quote you again Lammington but I wonder, if the hypothetical baby is biologically George’s then the child would be able to inherit? Wondering aloud here to myself.
Depending on the Scottish independence situation, in theory a monarch could get married in the Church of Scotland (where gay marriage is allowed and the monarch is not the supreme governor) and have a civil marriage in England like Charles did with Camilla.

I expect the CoE will come around on gay marriage at some point, but it might be easier if there was a gay queen as then she could potentially get pregnant with a biological child that would stay in the succession. After all, the heir only needs to be 'royal' on one side (as QEII was).

All the major royals have very detailed funeral plans that are updated frequently. Likewise big media organisations like the BBC are always prepared for the worst (wisely, given tragedies like Princess Diana's death).
I wouldn't read too much into this. He's returning to some public duties this week.
On a recent episode of The Rest is Entertainment, they discussed that the BBC used to hold a rehearsal every 6 months of what to do if their was a ' category 1 death'. A category 1 death is someone who they would automatically cancel all TV shows and cut to the news for. Currently the cat 1s are Camilla, Charles, George and William.

If someone who is not category 1 they need permission from someone high up at the BBC to pull everything else, but they would be unlikely to say no if it was a senior royal or political figure.

Reactions: 5
Funeral runovers are very common with the media.

Think it was the Queen mums that they were having a run over and it accidentally was broadcast.

Reactions: 2
---

As it stands at the minute no. There are 2 issues _ the first is that the heir has to be legitimate and one born to a surrogate wouldn’t be and the second it that even if they are biologically theirs, a surrogate baby has to be adopted and adopted children are exempt from inheriting titles etc. it’s what the Marquis of Bath is a bit salty about.
---
Depending on the Scottish independence situation, in theory a monarch could get married in the Church of Scotland (where gay marriage is allowed and the monarch is not the supreme governor) and have a civil marriage in England like Charles did with Camilla.

I expect the CoE will come around on gay marriage at some point, but it might be easier if there was a gay queen as then she could potentially get pregnant with a biological child that would stay in the succession. After all, the heir only needs to be 'royal' on one side (as QEII was).
It would still need to be legitimate/born in mother/father wedlock though.

On a recent episode of The Rest is Entertainment, they discussed that the BBC used to hold a rehearsal every 6 months of what to do if their was a ' category 1 death'. A category 1 death is someone who they would automatically cancel all TV shows and cut to the news for. Currently the cat 1s are Camilla, Charles, George and William.

If someone who is not category 1 they need permission from someone high up at the BBC to pull everything else, but they would be unlikely to say no if it was a senior royal or political figure.
Marina actually corrected that this week. The category 1s are Charles, Camilla, William and Kate. George isn’t one but obviously programming would be interrupted if anything were to happen to him.

Reactions: 5
---

If it were a surrogate, (I used read the Harry and Meghan thread 😅), it *shouldn't* count as the child would need to be 'born of the body'.

Monarchists talk about possible constitutional crises without remembering Elizabeth was 3rd in line after her uncle and father from the day she was born

If it were a surrogate, (I used read the Harry and Meghan thread 😅), it *shouldn't* count as the child would need to be 'born of the body'.
Hence the then Home Secretary having to hang about Glamis Castle for two weeks in 1930 waiting for the (late) birth of Princess Margaret. He and a Home Office official stayed next door at Airlie Castle with a connecting telephone line installed. Elizabeth was the Duchess of York at the time.

All because of the conspiracy theory that Mary of Modena had a baby smuggled into her room in a warming pan.

Reactions: 6
This is where surrogacy and its role in peerage will need testing. At birth, the child is not legally the child of the couple inheriting it - this is the case even where a surrogate has no genetic link to the child, and the couple must go through adoption paperwork to get the legalities sorted. In the case of a gay couple, there will always be external genetic material, so that child, although born to a married couple, would be "illegitimate" for the purposes of inheritance laws.

It's not an insurmountable hurdle, and the inheritance laws reflect a time before surrogacy or IVF were considerations, which is why it's a matter of interpretation. I suspect if the Baths, for example, were to need their second son to inherit, or another peerage sees its holders need surrogacy to produce an heir we'll see some precedent.

Reactions: 6

I wonder, given the circumstances, If Prince Andrew were to fall off his perch tomorrow, would it be a private funeral at St George’s chapel? I’m sure Princess Anne would warrant maybe a televised funeral albeit less pomp and at St George’s also

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.