The Duggar Family #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never heard this about Jana at all? Any inside sources have always said she's as meek and mild as she comes across.
I don't doubt that Jana is exactly as she is portrayed rather quiet, but this is fundie land and what constitutes as poor behaviour is different to a normal persons.

I can't quite recall the exact details, but I might have been in one of Michelle's books and then at some point it was vaguely mentioned she also went to one of these camps but dressed up in a positive way which was weird as we know that unofficially these were punishment camps for the fundies/IBLP lot.
Now I know and have seen photos of all the girls at various camps which muddies the waters but there was some convincing gossip a few years back that Jana had also been sent to one of the 'bad kids' camp.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
I had a free audio credit so I'm on chapter 7 now or so. I feel very sorry for Jill, her religious childhood teachings have obviously been a big source of trauma for her. JB is a control freak and I can't believe I'm saying this but I feel sorry for Michelle too.
I'm still not keen on Derrick. He was fine living in a free house for years with free cars, phones, travel etc. He would never have had the time or money to fanny around on mission trips if he had to work full time and pay bills. I don't think JB is unreasonable to deduct these expenses. What makes me annoyed is that Jill is the victim here, but Derrick is trying to milk it too. Why on earth did he co-author the book? Even the image on the front cover of him staring at the camera and Jill sitting looking up to him triggers me. It centers him and that really bothers me. The money Jill got should have been hers alone, I'm annoyed it was used for his university fees. He already had a degree, the law one was purely a vanity project. I think Jill should have paid to get an actual degree rather than her lay midwife 'qualifications'.

Reactions: 10
I had a free audio credit so I'm on chapter 7 now or so. I feel very sorry for Jill, her religious childhood teachings have obviously been a big source of trauma for her. JB is a control freak and I can't believe I'm saying this but I feel sorry for Michelle too.
I'm still not keen on Derrick. He was fine living in a free house for years with free cars, phones, travel etc. He would never have had the time or money to fanny around on mission trips if he had to work full time and pay bills. I don't think JB is unreasonable to deduct these expenses. What makes me annoyed is that Jill is the victim here, but Derrick is trying to milk it too. Why on earth did he co-author the book? Even the image on the front cover of him staring at the camera and Jill sitting looking up to him triggers me. It centers him and that really bothers me. The money Jill got should have been hers alone, I'm annoyed it was used for his university fees. He already had a degree, the law one was purely a vanity project. I think Jill should have paid to get an actual degree rather than her lay midwife 'qualifications'.
Derrick was nearly through his missionary time when he and Jill met and then married. The Nepal trip was for the show as Derrick was due home in another month. The South America thing they both wanted to do.

him coming home and working as an accountant then pursuing a law degree was them Trying to build their life and money outside of the show. With Jill having 2 babies and difficult birth makes sense for Derrick to have furthered his education and work prospects at that point than Jill with her kitchen table education from Michelle

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Derrick was nearly through his missionary time when he and Jill met and then married. The Nepal trip was for the show as Derrick was due home in another month. The South America thing they both wanted to do.

him coming home and working as an accountant then pursuing a law degree was them Trying to build their life and money outside of the show. With Jill having 2 babies and difficult birth makes sense for Derrick to have furthered his education and work prospects at that point than Jill with her kitchen table education from Michelle
I cant belive that they are just allowed to homeschool all those kids, and they have no qualifications to do anything. No one seems to check on the quality of education.

Reactions: 3
I cant belive that they are just allowed to homeschool all those kids, and they have no qualifications to do anything. No one seems to check on the quality of education.
You don't need any qualifications or anything in the UK.
All that you have to prove is that you're doing something. They don't care about the quality. Don't even have to follow the national curriculum.
SIL home schooled partners Nephew . They had 1 visit in the whole time he was of school age. He finished last year.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
All that you have to prove is that you're doing something. They don't care about the quality. Don't even have to follow the national curriculum.
SIL home schooled partners Nephew . They had 1 visit in the whole time he was of school age. He finished last year.
oh good grief. what do they think their kids are going to do with their lives? There are only so many ditch diggers needed these days.
I feel badly for the kids, not making friends and doing normal things.
ugh

Reactions: 4

The point is that they couldn't have gone to El Salvador if Derrick had to work a full time job. The majority of the 'compensation' money should have been ring fenced for Jill, she was the horse and pony trick long before she got married, so I think the majority should have gone to her. We all know from twitter that Derrick has a very mean streak, and I feel by him using the money for himself he's not much better than JB.

Reactions: 1
The point is that they couldn't have gone to El Salvador if Derrick had to work a full time job. The majority of the 'compensation' money should have been ring fenced for Jill, she was the horse and pony trick long before she got married, so I think the majority should have gone to her. We all know from twitter that Derrick has a very mean streak, and I feel by him using the money for himself he's not much better than JB.
I had no idea about all this!

“we all know from Twitter” that Derrick has queried the wisdom of transitioning children. Not quite the same as a “mean streak” even if you don’t agree with him .

Reactions: 5
“we all know from Twitter” that Derrick has queried the wisdom of transitioning children. Not quite the same as a “mean streak” even if you don’t agree with him .
FWIW I totally agree with Derrick, but this was a child (who was nothing to do with him) that he publicly attacked. There was no 'query', he was out to offend. He came across as nothing better than an arrogant, childish bully.

It's ridiculous isn't it? If you don't send your kids to school the truant officer is called and your sent to court and fined and given a lecture off the magistrate about 'failing to ensure your child has an education' So next day you decide to home educate your kids even though your the thickest duck on the planet and hardly anything is said!

It's ridiculous isn't it? If you don't send your kids to school the truant officer is called and your sent to court and fined and given a lecture off the magistrate about 'failing to ensure your child has an education' So next day you decide to home educate your kids even though your the thickest duck on the planet and hardly anything is said!
It is. My SIL raves about home schooling. To the point my partner wanted to home school our kids. Well, it would mean me doing it. At least I have decent qualifications I guess 😂 But there was no way I was doing that. As much as I'd love my kids home all the time.
My partner insists his Nephews education is just as good. He didn't do any exams so has no qualifications. He's just recently tried doing his theory test and failed it 11 times so far.
🤷‍♀️
Not saying all homeschooling is bad but I think there should be rules to it to stop that from happening!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I have experience with home educating families, and the vast majority of them are doing a great job. Most of them have very diligent parents who are passionate about their child's education, and the children go on to do GCSE's and A levels. A very small minority of the parents need to go back to primary school themselves, they don't have a basic grasp of SPAG. Remember that many teachers in academies are not qualified, and the government certainly aren't checking on them.

• Wow
I have experience with home educating families, and the vast majority of them are doing a great job. Most of them have very diligent parents who are passionate about their child's education, and the children go on to do GCSE's and A levels. A very small minority of the parents need to go back to primary school themselves, they don't have a basic grasp of SPAG. Remember that many teachers in academies are not qualified, and the government certainly aren't checking on them.
Of course they’re checked up on, that’s what Ofsted do. Non qualified teachers in the state sector are rare. We have to be police cleared and follow a system of performance management every year. The vast majority have a degree in a relevant subject and QTS

Of course they’re checked up on, that’s what Ofsted do. Non qualified teachers in the state sector are rare. We have to be police cleared and follow a system of performance management every year. The vast majority have a degree in a relevant subject and QTS
Academies and free schools do not require teachers to be qualified. OFSTED do not check up on individual teachers. Yes the vast majority of state schools do have qualified teachers (and they aren't always brilliant, I've seen plenty of not so good ones) but there are lots across varying educational institutes that aren't. Many high fee independent schools for example. My point is people always say that home educated children don't have a 'real teacher', when many children in schools don't either!

Academies and free schools do not require teachers to be qualified. OFSTED do not check up on individual teachers. Yes the vast majority of state schools do have qualified teachers (and they aren't always brilliant, I've seen plenty of not so good ones) but there are lots across varying educational institutes that aren't. Many high fee independent schools for example. My point is people always say that home educated children don't have a 'real teacher', when many children in schools don't either!
I work in a multi academy trust. All teachers, whatever their qualifications, are accountable, we are dbs checked and have to follow a programme of performance management and continual CPD. This is compulsory.
How are home educators accountable?

I work in a multi academy trust. All teachers, whatever their qualifications, are accountable, we are dbs checked and have to follow a programme of performance management and continual CPD. This is compulsory.
How are home educators accountable?
They aren't, in any way more than a parent is held accountable. It depends on which country and even then LAs vary hugely. Some want a yearly visit to check what you are up to and others won't visit even if a family request it. I'm not saying this is right, just that the families I have visited seem to be doing a good job. People who cba are more than happy to send their children off to school.
ETA: an increasing number of families are home educating as their child has SEN and no school provision has been made. These are the ones I feel really sorry for.

Reactions: 2
Sen provision has been slashed to the bone by the government. My concern is children who are removed on a whim - a row over a nose stud was a recent one, or because of parental issues. We had an agoraphobic mother who removed her child due to wanting them at home with her, they spend their days gaming now according to other kids. The pandemic has made this worse and numerous children will fall through the net with no one checking on their welfare

• Wow