Madeleine McCann #6

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ben's gran had hung his wet shorts on the tree branch to dry them out. When she realised Ben was missing, the shorts were also gone. Ben couldn't have reached up to them himself.
I never knew that, thank you!

Reactions: 6
I can remember when she went missing and a couple of days later they went jogging. If my child had gone missing I’d be too distraught to do anything.

Reactions: 14
I can remember when she went missing and a couple of days later they went jogging. If my child had gone missing I’d be too distraught to do anything.
They also went ahead with pre-booked tennis lessons whilst the rest of Praia searched for Their Child!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
They also went head with pre-booked tennis lessons whilst the rest of Praia searched for Their Child!
I always thought that as well, but just to add another perspective: I learned on here a few pages ago, that for some reasons close relatives are not allowed to participate in such a search. So maybe they were like, having nothing else to do is just killing us, so we might as well just do SOMETHING, and why not the already booked tennis lesson.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
If my daughter had gone missing I would be staying with my other two, not letting them out of my sight, not leaving them and going off to play tennis.

Reactions: 33
I always thought that as well, but just to add another perspective: I learned on here a few pages ago, that for some reasons close relatives are not allowed to participate in such a search. So maybe they were like, having nothing else to do is just killing us, so we might as well just do SOMETHING, and why not the already booked tennis lesson.
And presumably put the twins into child care while you had your lesson? Unbelievable

Reactions: 15
yes they might as well do something like tell their relatives porkers that the shutter was jemmied!

Reactions: 6
So many self righteous people on this thread saying how they would have acted so differently. The truth is no have no idea how you'd react unless you found yourself in the situation of your daughter going missing and presumably murdered.

Reactions: 4
Good lord. It’s not self righteous to say you wouldn’t (or haven’t) left your three babies night after night alone and crying in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country so you could go and have wine & tapas 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 49
So many self righteous people on this thread saying how they would have acted so differently. The truth is no have no idea how you'd react unless you found yourself in the situation of your daughter going missing and presumably murdered.
I wouldn't call myself self righteous. I just can't ses a situation where I'd be going jogging and playing tennis while I'd be emotionally broken and could be out doing summat to help my daughter. I also wouldn't leave my kids in an unlocked (or locked) apartment in a million years to go wining and dining with my mates, no way.

• Heart
Good lord. It’s not self righteous to say you wouldn’t (or haven’t) left your three babies night after night alone and crying in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country so you could go and have wine & tapas 🤷‍♀️
That's not the self righteous part I'm talking about. Everybody agrees on that point. Do you think those parents deserved to have their child murdered because of it though? I certainly don't.
---
I wouldn't call myself self righteous. I just can't ses a situation where I'd be going jogging and playing tennis while I'd be emotionally broken and could be out doing summat to help my daughter. I also wouldn't leave my kids in an unlocked (or locked) apartment in a million years to go wining and dining with my mates, no way.
As others have pointed out they were presumably told by the police not to go marauding out on their own looking for her. I expect they would have trusted the police were going to arrange a proper professional search. Their mistake was presumably trusting the clearly incompetent Portuguese police initially.

Reactions: 1
Yeah I can see that the parents were told not to search. Because if you found your child you would hug them and will them alive and pick them up and possibly contanimate any evidence (well we would G&K would have their hands full of tennis rackets).

No one deserves to have their child murdered. You know who else didn't deserve it. Poor little Maddie.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
That's not the self righteous part I'm talking about. Everybody agrees on that point. Do you think those parents deserved to have their child murdered because of it though? I certainly don't.
---

As others have pointed out they were presumably told by the police not to go marauding out on their own looking for her. I expect they would have trusted the police were going to arrange a proper professional search. Their mistake was presumably trusting the clearly incompetent Portuguese police initially.
No one said they deserved anything. It’s a bit of a leap to say that they deserved to have their child murdered. No one knows with any certainty she was murdered at all. They certainly seemed to believe that a pweirdo took her but hadn’t killed her and even forgave the person concerned, but not the police who tried to help. That’s not right, is it.

But they didn’t search, even before the police came. They did nothing. That’s damning imo.
Have you read the police files? I think the narrative that the police there were incompetent hasbeen heavily pushed by the Mccanns themselves.
I think anyone who has had a child disappear from sight even for a minute is likely to understand how their child being actually missing would react, or even a pet missing. It’s not normal to carry on going to tennis in matching earrings that changed from day to day. Writing about your child’s damaged genitalia isn’t normal either. wtf.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
JFC. It’s not about what the McCanns do or don’t deserve. (And it’s concerning someone would even think along these lines?)

It’s Madeleine who paid the ultimate price for their selfish, neglectful parenting. With her life, in all probability.

Reactions: 25
Yeah I can see that the parents were told not to search. Because if you found your child you would hug them and will them alive and pick them up and possibly contanimate any evidence (well we would G&K would have their hands full of tennis rackets).

No one deserves to have their child murdered. You know who else didn't deserve it. Poor little Maddie.
The first thing you do if you can’t find your child is look though, right? Then you don’t find them with a search and call the police. Who in their right mind would leave kids in an unlocked apartment then say “they’ve taken her”. You’d assume the kid got out of the door you carelessly left unlocked? Who was the they she referred to?

Reactions: 18
They DID search. And the words "they've taken her" were said after quite a number of hours, apparently. If you read the police interviews you'll see that.
No idea about the tennis lessons - is that a verified fact?

Q
They DID search. And the words "they've taken her" were said after quite a number of hours, apparently. If you read the police interviews you'll see that.
They said it was too cold and dark to search.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
And presumably put the twins into child care while you had your lesson? Unbelievable
Well I suppose they couldn't just leave them in the room like they usually did because it was now a Crime Scene and seething with policemen.
---
Many many years ago my three year old was supposedly being "Looked after" by my ex-husband's bloody mother when in fact she was so busy feeding money into a slot machine in a pub that he wandered off! She had'nt even noticed he was gone until somebody asked where he was then it was pandemonium as everybody ran out to search for him.
Luckily he was found nearly two hours later down at the local Rec watching the older boys play football because he'd got bored standing there whilst grandma emptied her purse into a slot machine, seen these lads and a football then tagged onto them for a game, but he was safe which is all that mattered although I'd endured the WORST TWO HOURS OF MY LIFE frantically searching the area for him! That was only two hours - I absolutely would not have been capable of playing bloody tennis were my child missing!!!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
If my daughter had gone missing I would be staying with my other two, not letting them out of my sight, not leaving them and going off to play tennis.
Some lighthearted playing in childcare might have been better and less traumatizing for them, then stressed out parents completely freaking out.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
The police files do clearly indicate that Kate’s first words were “Madeleine’s gone”. Every member of the Tapas 7 corroborated that when they were asked by the police. So it’s safe to assume that the first words were indeed “Madeleine’s gone”.

So the question arises, why did the Mccanns themselves start saying later that Kate’s first words were “They’ve taken her”?

One suggestion might be that they wanted to start building a narrative around an abduction in order to hide what had actually happened.

“They’ve taken her” was PR in action. A couple if days later, the Tapas 7 and others at the resort and the press and the rest of the world were repeating these words as if they were 100% true. This was when the police investigation was in its very earliest stages, and the Portuguese were just starting to formulate a theory that was very different indeed to “they’ve taken her”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13