Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d love to see us do a national selection

Give it as a prize for some vocal contest or something - at least then we know they can actually sing live well and consistently 🤭
We have before but end up with

ESC_2007_UK_Scooch_-_Flying_the_flag_(for_you).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 23

Give it as a prize for some vocal contest or something - at least then we know they can actually sing live well and consistently 🤭
We have a sort of a selection in Ireland (well it's shoehorned into The Late Late Show, but when you see and hear the shortlisted six songs, you'd have to wonder about the other 200 or so entries. Bambie was my favourite this year but she was only third or fourth favourite to win. (Behind a Louis Walsh boy band and the most boring pop song I think I've ever heard)

Reactions: 5
I feel like a lot of posters here have only been watching Eurovision for the last 3 years or so 😂 I say that as a veteran watcher since Gina G was our act - THAT was a stand out entry!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
it makes it sound as if Europe is as behind Israel in their battle in Gaza/Palestine
I know some people don’t like the political discussion here but this is definitely going to turn into a propaganda thing for the state of Israel

Their former spokesperson has already been melting down on Twitter over the juries being cowards or antisemites

It’s exactly why this shouldn’t have been allowed

And before someone comes with the “Ukraine got the public vote too!” - I know. Side-eyeing that too but it’s not like their state is committing war crimes
---
We have before but end up with

View attachment 2930614
I remember the one year recently where the format was having like 3 people doing a song in two different genres and the public voting for which person and genre to choose

Don’t remember what came of it but the songs were terrible

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Also whoever said the U.K. focus too much on what has been successful in the past; my unpopular opinion (on first listen) was that Croatia tried to emulate cha cha cha too much. And ended up with the same result 🤷🏻‍♀️although tbf their final performance had amazing energy that I hadn’t seen in the selection performance

Reactions: 6
I feel like a lot of posters here have only been watching Eurovision for the last 3 years or so 😂 I say that as a veteran watcher since Gina G was our act - THAT was a stand out entry!
My 1st memory was Irsael winning in 1979! I was too young to realise it was a contest but I remember 'Hallelujah' clearly!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Well that was a laugh anyway I enjoyed the evening. The right 2 songs were at the top, although I preferred Croatia to Switzerland I can see why he won.

Also loved the entertainment provided by Finland (I couldn't stop laughing at the guy with no pants) plus Estonia's unusual entry and the Spanish dancers who were outrageous 🤣

I didn't like the French song because he gave me vibes of the guy who chats you up, you politely try to brush him off but he keeps pursuing you anyway and won't go away. He was a good singer though.

Most of the other songs were very forgettable this year. Ireland was like a college drama performance trying too hard to be scary but the song was awful. Italy got good points but I have no idea why as it was totally unmemorable.

Olly was lucky to get any points - which were probably awarded for the staging more than the song.

Reactions: 21

We’ve done that before in the past. Either where there were different artists performing a song each or there was one artist performing different songs and the viewers in both scenarios voted who or what song would represent us at Eurovision

Reactions: 3
I like the songs themselves.... its interesting to see a wide variety of different styles and nationalities,

But they need to redefine or clarify rules about staging... it should surely be about the song... not about the dancers or peculiar set. What on earth was Loreens performance last night about?

and the voting...stinks..... Olly didnt deserve nul points from the televote. And how on earth did the israeli performance score so highly alongside the Ukraine in the televote? Was Ukraine one of the favourites to win last night? Or was that just a popularity vote?

It seems faintly strange that so much of the European televote is so supportive of Israel ...... following on from the UKraine sympathy vote, it makes it sound as if Europe is as behind Israel in their battle in Gaza/Palestine, as they are behind The Ukraine in their battles against Russia. .If this is honestly the case why are there so many pro palestinan marches and demonstrations in the UK? And why are the EU so frustrated with the situation in Gaza?

The noisy minority are not reflective of the general public and the result across Europe reflects that.

Reactions: 10
We’ve done that before in the past. Either where there were different artists performing a song each or there was one artist performing different songs and the viewers in both scenarios voted who or what song would represent us at Eurovision
Either way we never did very well out of it 😂

Reactions: 3
The noisy minority are not reflective of the general public and the result across Europe reflects that.
I haven't dared go near Twitter this morning, they make the thing into a hate fest and it's only supposed to be a bit of fun.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of drama but there are a lot of 'super fans' out there who take it life and death levels of seriously.

Reactions: 7
well what a show! my favourite was Croatia but also thought Switzerland was a worthy winner. There were so many countries i thought would have done far better but it seemed like high public votes were going to a few countries only. I loved years & years when they were about but Olly has never been the strongest live singer so i'm not surprised with the 0
last thoughts - not political my hole!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8
I remember when they would pick an artist and then they'd sing 6 songs and the public would vote. That was back in the days when we used to do quite well.

I think the British public should have some say in who or what represents them. I don't like the BBC arbitrarily deciding on our behalf. OK someone has to prepare a shortlist of singers/songs but if we had a TV show like the Swedish do and invested more in finding new talent I believe we'd do better. There's loads of talented singer songwriters in the UK who are not given a chance.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Either way we never did very well out of it 😂
If I recall Sonia was pre-selected as our representative in 1993 and there was a programme where viewers voted which song she was going to perform at the contest. She ended up coming 2nd at Eurovision missing out on the top spot by 1 point

• Wow
Reactions: 12
If I recall Sonia was pre-selected as our representative in 1993 and there was a programme where viewers voted which song she was going to sing to. She ended up coming 2nd at Eurovision missing out on the top spot by 1 point
It was a better song than Niamh Kavanagh's to be fair.

Reactions: 4
I remember when they would pick an artist and then they'd sing 6 songs and the public would vote. That was back in the days when we used to do quite well.

I think the British public should have some say in who or what represents them. I don't like the BBC arbitrarily deciding on our behalf. OK someone has to prepare a shortlist of singers/songs but if we had a TV show like the Swedish do and invested more in finding new talent I believe we'd do better. There's loads of talented singer songwriters in the UK who are not given a chance.
Yeah, they need to go back to letting the UK public decide who and the song from a small selection.

I loved this one … even though at the time I didn’t understand the lyrics 😂

This is my all time favourite UK entry
---
If I recall Sonia was pre-selected as our representative in 1993 and there was a programme where viewers voted which song she was going to perform at the contest. She ended up coming 2nd at Eurovision missing out on the top spot by 1 point
Michael Ball the same in 92

I'm generalising a lot here but many of the Eurovision performers come from their country's equivalent of The Voice, X Factor etc. But I feel like the UK is bored of those shows and for good reason.

I liked Olly's performance but I don't really know where the UK goes next. Sam Ryder felt like an anomaly at this point 😂 there is so much talent in the UK but we can never get it quite right.

Reactions: 5