Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Having watched that YT vid that was posted after my comment regarding our entry looking too music videoy....

Why don't the EBU put a 'raw' feed so the audience can see what the venue audience sees - the set changes etc.

That would pull a tit tonne of viewers - some would say it would be much better than the official polished TV production.

I'd be all over the 'raw' footage rather than the polished TV production.
See, that's why actually going to the Eurovision doesn't really appeal to me, seeing the set being dismantled would be a bit off-putting

Reactions: 2
Would be interesting to see who was on the jury. Their results compared to the public results showed they are so out of touch with the British public. How on earth they can justify giving Portugal 12 points and Israel no points is astonishing. Israel was a huge hit with the public all over Europe with many countries giving them 10 or 12 points.

public.jpg

• Sick
Reactions: 13
Would be interesting to see who was on the jury. Their results compared to the public results showed they are so out of touch with the British public. How on earth they can justify giving Portugal 12 points and Israel no points is astonishing. Israel was a huge hit with the public all over Europe with many countries giving them 10 or 12 points.

View attachment 2930549
We all know the Israel and Ukraine votes weren’t just because the songs were big hits

Reactions: 13
I feel by voting for Switzerland, the juries thought they’d meet the audience halfway. Nemo isn’t a typical juries winner at all imho and I bet they thought that after last year, they couldn’t vote for another obvious radio-friendly choice. I knew they wouldn’t go for Croatia as their number 1, so Switzerland probably seemed like a good choice to them. Maybe, like me, they thought audiences would give more points to Croatia and make them the winner. But 300+ points to Israel were obviously more important to international audiences 👀👀

Reactions: 8
Just listening to Katrina and the Waves again. What a belter.
---
The Israel vote was probably partly political. I did think she is a very good singer. But I think people probably voted for her politically or to prove a point. Maybe that’s where all the votes for Estonia went. I’m baffled by the Portugal votes.

Reactions: 6
I feel by voting for Switzerland, the juries thought they’d meet the audience halfway. Nemo isn’t a typical juries winner at all imho and I bet they thought that after last year, they can’t vote for another obvious radio-friendly choice. I knew they wouldn’t go for Croatia as their number 1, so Switzerland seemed like a good choice to them. Maybe, like me, they thought audiences would give more points to Croatia and make them the winner. But 300+ points to Israel were obviously more important to international audiences 👀👀
It was agreed before the contest that Switzerland would get the jury votes because of their vocals alone

I think the staging lacked a bit. Yes, it’s impressive that they were able to jump and slide around but it just seemed to lack something. I much preferred watching them running around the stage at the end

Reactions: 6
UK zero points in the televote.. shocking but not really when you think about it, I don't think it was memorable at all, it wasn't bad either though, kinda just meh.. tbh I wouldn't have picked up the phone for it either

Can we just send a good vocalist next year with a clear message
This! I thought they’d learnt their lesson last year, but apparently not. As a bare minimum, I think we need to send someone who can actually hit the notes.

Reactions: 7
This! I thought they’d learnt their lesson last year, but apparently not. As a bare minimum, I think we need to send someone who can actually hit the notes.
Generic poppy songs don't really cut it in Eurovision anymore. Apart from Italy recently the 'big five' haven't really been that successful and I'm wondering if they are studiously avoiding anything too dramatic.

I didn't find Olly too dramatic, it just felt a bit dated and try hard.

Reactions: 5
Generic poppy songs don't really cut it in Eurovision anymore. Apart from Italy recently the 'big five' haven't really been that successful and I'm wondering if they are studiously avoiding anything too dramatic.

Yeah I think if had been the 90’s then that would have been shocking and possibly caused an upset, but it was just shite

Reactions: 5
I don't even think Olly has a chance at top 10 in the charts this week (like Mae Muller achieved after the contest despite absolutely bombing) the song was received a whole lot better than Ollys and the general thought seemed to be that the song was good but the performance wasn't. I still play it nearly daily still, it is a great pop song. Dizzy unfortunately didn't live up to expectations from the getgo, we had a current popstar with a track produced by Dua Lipas producer (houdini etc) so expectations were understandably high. I don't think if it hadn't been a eurovision song I wouldn't of even gave it the slightest look tbh

Reactions: 7

France seem to do well recently when they stick to French ballads with competent singers. Italy take it seriously as their entry is the winner of their own San Remo song contest.
---
Also agree with PP that the adjective to describe the U.K. song was try hard.

It makes you wonder if the song selectors even want to win. Yet again they picked an awful song performed by a cringe artist which had no chance of winning. Not a single point from the public vote is exactly what that song deserved. Must be over 20 years since we last had a good song.

Switzerland was always the obvious jury winner. Only later did I think France might steal it from them.

Reactions: 1
I’d love to see us do a national selection

Give it as a prize for some vocal contest or something - at least then we know they can actually sing live well and consistently 🤭

I like the songs themselves.... its interesting to see a wide variety of different styles and nationalities,

But they need to redefine or clarify rules about staging... it should surely be about the song... not about the dancers or peculiar set. What on earth was Loreens performance last night about?

and the voting...stinks..... Olly didnt deserve nul points from the televote. And how on earth did the israeli performance score so highly alongside the Ukraine in the televote? Was Ukraine one of the favourites to win last night? Or was that just a popularity vote?

It seems faintly strange that so much of the European televote is so supportive of Israel ...... following on from the UKraine sympathy vote, it makes it sound as if Europe is as behind Israel in their battle in Gaza/Palestine, as they are behind The Ukraine in their battles against Russia. .If this is honestly the case why are there so many pro palestinan marches and demonstrations in the UK? And why are the EU so frustrated with the situation in Gaza?