Baby Reindeer Netflix #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There comes a point where rehashing your trauma is a form of self harm. The best way to get over it is forgiveness not for them but for yourself. Move onto better things , his abuse is now becoming a core feature of his identity.
Yep he made two plays one about martha and another one before about the man abuser

Reactions: 3
There comes a point where rehashing your trauma is a form of self harm. The best way to get over it is forgiveness not for them but for yourself. Move onto better things , his abuse is now becoming a core feature of his identity.
this is the most backwards thing I’ve read

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Has anyone actually watched the whole thing? I'm so confused that everyone is praising the depiction of SA but no one is talking about the last episode where he goes back to visit Darien and basically accepts his offer of career help/to work together. Whatever else you can say is/isn't realistic in depicting the aftermath of SA, to me that scene is so weird and undermining. Was he saying he forgives him because he got success and fame out of the experience? Was he trying to out the person Darien was based on further by making clear they worked together after? You can easily check RG IMDB to find his writing credits and so on. I know that relationships with abusers are complicated, but it seems a very strange choice to end on for that part of the plot.

I think it was a very deliberate choice on RG part to play himself. His previous shows (comedy and plays) have all been about him. Baby Reindeer had a very successful run as a play/performance for a few years and was supposed to have a run on the West End but this was around April 2020 and the pandemic ended that. So the Netflix deal was him able to pick that success train back up. Before Baby Reindeer (which was an award-winning, lauded, well reviewed production) he had a show called Monkey See Monkey Do, again an award-winning, widely reviewed piece all about his experiences of SA. In the same way the depiction of the Hawley Arms as an empty pub is far from realistic, so is his depiction of himself as a struggling/failing comic and performer. Some of it I get is artistic license but it does also make him appear more sympathetic (and which does that serve more - him or the plot?). I'm not sure how reliable a narrator he is, and its very odd that he claims to have obscured people's identity when he really doesn't seem to - there is a photo of him and his ex on his Instagram and she is the absolute spitting image of the actress who plays her in the show.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
New to this thread after binge watching BR yesterday and then finding Martha’s fb account 😳 I’ve read through these posts but can’t find what I’m looking for. I’ve googled the real Martha and can’t find any newspaper articles from her previous stalking convictions or her conviction against Gadd! Surely these would be in the public domain! How can she deny it’s her when she’s been convicted? 🤔

Reactions: 2
New to this thread after binge watching BR yesterday and then finding Martha’s fb account 😳 I’ve read through these posts but can’t find what I’m looking for. I’ve googled the real Martha and can’t find any newspaper articles from her previous stalking convictions or her conviction against Gadd! Surely these would be in the public domain! How can she deny it’s her when she’s been convicted? 🤔
She wasn't convicted of stalking Gadd, that was for the show.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
That makes sense then, what about the politician then? Surely that would come up when you Google it, I’ve seen recent articles but not any historic ones.

Also, so she just stopped stalking him with no police intervention?

Reactions: 1
That makes sense then, what about the politician then? Surely that would come up when you Google it, I’ve seen recent articles but not any historic ones.

The MP's family got a restraining order against her

Interesting details in this new article

Reactions: 7

She made a comment on her Facebook yesterday about previous things that should’ve been removed from Google, there’s definitely more, and the way she’s talking about journalists I won’t be surprised if they dig it all up lol

Reactions: 8
I don't understand why everyone seems to be turning on RG because he portrayed his harrowing experience that affected him and he portayed her exactly as she is in real life. Reason why show is a success in my opinion ,its because he is being real in his part with dealings with Martha, abuse,his own MH was not great after being abused and that contributed how he dealt with his stalker. He also have empathy for her.But that doesn't mean it is somehow okay to make life miserable and stalk,send 40k email,offensive/threatening emails ,messages,make someone's life hell.And people forget RG is not the first person she has done it too. Everyone somehow thinks it's okay for her to do what she did and minimising the damage of her victims. She got away with it and is not hospitalised or in prison,and still didn't have therapy or had any self reflection.The only MH disease I can see is narcissism and thinking I am above everything,this is why she is posting on SM,because she cannot lose a control. SHE IS the one who contacted papers ,and spoke to several ones,she thrives on attention that she doesn't get ,hence she stalks and make inappropriate statements online etc. Her posts that are not about RG are racist, misogynist, offensive - she is not a nice person and hence why she hasn't got friends.
But very first step is for ger to acknowledge she needs help and with someone so delusional and narcissist it won't happen. SHE HAD ZERO empathy when RG revealed he was rapes, she is even making fun and taunting his about it. RG acknowledge he felt sorry for her and that also made him somehow superior and above her.

None of her posts are true, she lies about everything, police, papers,RG etc.people need to stop believing she is having death threats. TWITTER comments will be what they are,noone can stop what people discuss.
👏 👏 👏 well said

Reactions: 14
Has anyone actually watched the whole thing? I'm so confused that everyone is praising the depiction of SA but no one is talking about the last episode where he goes back to visit Darien and basically accepts his offer of career help/to work together. Whatever else you can say is/isn't realistic in depicting the aftermath of SA, to me that scene is so weird and undermining. Was he saying he forgives him because he got success and fame out of the experience? Was he trying to out the person Darien was based on further by making clear they worked together after? You can easily check RG IMDB to find his writing credits and so on. I know that relationships with abusers are complicated, but it seems a very strange choice to end on for that part of the plot.

I think it was a very deliberate choice on RG part to play himself. His previous shows (comedy and plays) have all been about him. Baby Reindeer had a very successful run as a play/performance for a few years and was supposed to have a run on the West End but this was around April 2020 and the pandemic ended that. So the Netflix deal was him able to pick that success train back up. Before Baby Reindeer (which was an award-winning, lauded, well reviewed production) he had a show called Monkey See Monkey Do, again an award-winning, widely reviewed piece all about his experiences of SA. In the same way the depiction of the Hawley Arms as an empty pub is far from realistic, so is his depiction of himself as a struggling/failing comic and performer. Some of it I get is artistic license but it does also make him appear more sympathetic (and which does that serve more - him or the plot?). I'm not sure how reliable a narrator he is, and its very odd that he claims to have obscured people's identity when he really doesn't seem to - there is a photo of him and his ex on his Instagram and she is the absolute spitting image of the actress who plays her in the show.
To me the ending is most realistic - how many times victims if SA actually get justice and they are jailed/imprisoned / how many times you actually get ti comfront your abuser in a way you make them regret what they have done? That never happens. Also as someone who experienced SA, you always blame yourself that you played part and shouldn't have dressed certain way or smiled etc ,and constantly question yourself in life -to me that was the most real ending as well as with him listening Martha's Voicemails. Someone who had their personal and professional boundaries crossed on such a deep level would not know what is a right/wrong way to behave without intense therapy. Him being real about it ,he speaks volumes to victims.

Reactions: 27
Who is victim blaming? People are pointing out that he himself said Martha is as much a victim as anyone and that’s a big part of his message and if Martha is also a victim like he said - then why all the ‘victim blaming’ here of her.??
Nobody said he shouldn’t tell his story. There is a ton of empathy for him as well as concern for her as a vulnerable mentally ill woman with no support network. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
But she is not his victim. He showed empathy for the trauma and abuse she most likely experienced. Not for the way she threatened and abused him. That’s what many seem to forget now and act as if he’s somehow at fault for her behavior. Both are victims of former abuse. Both reacted in their own ways. Doesn’t make what she did right.
I do think people on here turn on him and feel she’s been wronged by him (!), her victim, because she’s a woman.

Reactions: 24
She was 100% convicted a s RG said that in interview that he was conflicted to put her in prison .. he said it took 2 and half years because her emails were not threatening but eventually they became so he was able to get restraining order.You cannot get restrainimg orfer without someone being convicted of crime. It expired now but if she starts on him again,he can contact police again.

Reactions: 5
I don't think Gadd comes across well, he clearly has a lot of issues, but I struggle with the idea that he should have known that something like this was going to happen because it is rare that a Netflix show takes off THIS much no? I do think Netflix should have been much much more careful but I think their legal team have fucked up, rather than the creative.

As for the suggestion that he should have cast someone else in the lead role, well that was never going to happen was it? He's clearly admittedly desperate for fame, that doesn't go away.

Reactions: 19
She’s the easy target. Nobody is scared of her because she’s vulnerable, lonely and mad. He threw her to the lions.

The sinister, coldblooded rapist is a man. Nobody is going for him.
---

It will be interesting to see if other victims come forward.
I think it's because

1.) the show is mainly about the stalking, the raping "only" consists of one episode and is only referenced after this. All the press articles are about the stalking as well, and 2.) you dont get much out of tracking down the rapist, for the stalker you get entertainment out of her facebook posts. and 3.) there are many rapist man, there is nothing special about him (as cruel as that sounds), but there aren't that many woman like her, so it's interesting

It's jus the way people that have no direct involvement are wired, you are interested in the things that get the most entertainment value out of it.

Reactions: 12

She was convicted and got restraining order

So which is her real account?
I thought it was the one that was posting relentlessly yesterday?

I don't think Gadd comes across well, he clearly has a lot of issues, but I struggle with the idea that he should have known that something like this was going to happen because it is rare that a Netflix show takes off THIS much no? I do think Netflix should have been much much more careful but I think their legal team have fucked up, rather than the creative.

As for the suggestion that he should have cast someone else in the lead role, well that was never going to happen was it? He's clearly admittedly desperate for fame, that doesn't go away.
Exactly the last paragraph!

Reactions: 7
this is the most backwards thing I’ve read
Think it's because some people haven't been through it. Abuse of any form isn't linear and neither is how individuals process it. All humans are flawed, even SA victims 💖
---
Exactly the last paragraph!
Yes, it was abundantly clear from the whole series, he is his own worst enemy.
---
So which is her real account?
I thought it was the one that was posting relentlessly yesterday?
Yes it is and it's still there if you type in that name to the search bar and just click posts. I've blurred her name but that's it live as of a few minutes ago.

Same set up, public posts but comments switched off.

This is the original one, still the same:

Screenshot_20240428-104302~3.jpg

Think someone has copied her profile picture and made a profile pretending to be her where people can comment.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.