Would you want your child to have an extended term/class hours?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering how people feel about this? (although it might have been discussed on other threads)

I saw a clip on YouTube from Good Morning Britain and what I took from the conversation, and the input of the mother they had on the panel, was that some see it as free childcare after a long year and a lot of homeschooling, and not exactly a way to improve a child’s education. 😬

would you be ok with longer days? or weekend classes?

anyone honest enough to join the debate with their real thoughts 😂

No. I think the school days are long enough as they are. I hated school when I was younger and being made to be there more would have tipped me over the edge.

Plus I want to see my children. They grow up so fast.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I don't think the days should be extended and I don't agree with weekend school either. It would be too much for the children for a start. Also teaching is a profession that requires a lot of prep at home. It's already difficult for teachers to have a good work/life balance.
Adjustments to the curriculum seem the most sensible solution but that doesn't seem to be a popular option amongst those who actually have the power to change things.

Reactions: 6
No. When they were in school, my yr 11 son stayed until 4pm which was (and will be when he returns on 8th march) compulsory. They can stay until 5pm if they want for homework etc. It is enough, he is knackered by the end of the week. I also don't agree with using the school holidays for summer school etc. All the teachers I know have worked their asses off engaging with the kids and planning lessons during lockdowns etc, they and the kids need a break.

Edited to add my yr 11 son did say he heard from school today, even though it is teacher assessments and not exams they will be expected to be in school until the end of the summer term, i.e July and not finish early as in normal school year! 🤔

I don’t agree with longer days or weekends, however I think if they did catch up classes in the summer I’d probably be ok, though then you have to look at who would run them? Would there be enough kids in a class to put them on in every school,

They don t appear to have taken into consideration working hours for teaching staff . I'm not a teacher but looking at it from their perspective I can't see this working.

No. I think kids have so much pressure on them in schools already, they really shouldn't be made to feel like they're behind. This might be slightly controversial but there's the fact that those who ARE behind likely come from homes where the parents aren't sending them into school or online learning anyway, regardless of prompts and threats (very, very small minority). So I doubt these kids will be at the summer schools anyway. It'll be the kids who aren't behind or can easily catch up within the school term but the parents are rightly worried about their child's education and think sending them in will be best academically/socially OR need a babysitter lol.

People need to remember, children literally soak up any/all information you give them! Make it fun, make it interactive and get them involved in the curriculum in the classroom and they will understand and remember it. As a teacher, I actually wouldn't mind hitting the classroom for a few weeks in the summer if it means some extra pay honestly.

Reactions: 2
I think it should be optional. There will be lots of parents and children who feel their children have worked hard and deserve a rest. However, there are children in poorer areas of the county who already start school significantly below where they should be. They often have had little home support, with some parents not even being able to read and write themselves. I think they should be offered the chance to go in over the summer just for their own life chances.

Reactions: 1
As a teacher, no. For many reasons that aren't even looking after myself.

1. Kids are already tired P7 on a school day (this is secondary as I teach secondary but I'm sure primary would be the same) they couldn't cop ewith more hours and tbh I don't think they would learn.

2. The kids that are behind significantly, the kids that aren't engaging at all are the same kids that don't engage in school. They are the same kids that won't turn up on weekends/school holidays.

3. Let them be kids? Jesus they are kids and have gone through a pandemic and lockdown during their formative years. Instead of the automatic response being well they need more education, education in their free time. Why not take the time and help them be more social, be involved in clubs, get mental health awareness/treatment. School can be a part of this but it shouldn't be the be all and end all.

4. So yes on my end, I and many teachers wouldn't cope. The standard of teaching would actually likely go down because I would have less time to plan and mark. Therefore the actual use of these lessons would be very little. That and changing out contract/paying us more is something I'm sure the government doesn't want to do so it won't overall matter anyway.

All that being said, something clearly does need to be done especially for younger pupils who are learning to read and write. I think there are in school alternatives that could be done. My old secondary (for example) used to pull 1st/2nd years out of foreign language if they had poor literacy. This helped because they got double the english lessons and they got to focus on improving one language before adding another.

Reactions: 5
Absolutely not.

Here, our younger kids stay until 2pm and that absolutely knackers my son. Any longer and he would honestly be asleep at his desk.

I can see why parents of kids in GCSE years/A level years May feel they need some extra time with teachers, but honestly apart from that I don’t see why any kids do. Everyone has been off together, we are all “behind” together. Some schools have done more than others during lockdown, but that’s true ALL year round in schools, some are just better.

And some kids won’t have engaged at home, and that is again true all the time when kids are in school, many don’t engage and aren’t supported normally.

I think everyone is worrying for nothing. We aren’t going to end up with a whole generation who can’t add up, read, do quadratic equations, explain oxbow lakes or whatever. They will all get there.

Reactions: 2
Absolutely not.

9-3 is long enough. If I work a longer work day and start doing 9 / 10 hour days the quality of what Im doing decreases rapidly.

It also defeats the purpose of us all knocking our pan in doing the school work with our kids for the last 2 months. Its been a hard slog here along with working from home and watching other non school age children.

Like another poster said the kids who really need it probably wouldnt attend. Teachers also already work evenings and weekends to prep there classes so not sure theyd be up for that either.

Reactions: 3
YES!!!
I want my children to receive their LEGAL right to full time education!!!

Homeschooling does not count. It can’t! Most parents have been working from home, some full time, and if you were to apply to the council to homeschool your child under those circumstances, you’d find that most wouldn’t meet the criteria! And yet, this period of homeschooling is apparently ok? I don’t think so!!

My youngest has attended school for approx 12 weeks in the past year. It’s not enough.
Children are legally entitled to a full time education in the UK, and they simply have not received that. Its no ones fault... and I accept that lockdown and school closures were necessary. However, it’s not just about parents wants, or teachers needs... it’s also about what the children are entitled to, legally. If someone took an adult’s legal rights away, that person would be fighting to get what they’re entitled to surely?

3. Let them be kids? Jesus they are kids and have gone through a pandemic and lockdown during their formative years. Instead of the automatic response being well they need more education, education in their free time. Why not take the time and help them be more social, be involved in clubs, get mental health awareness/treatment. School can be a part of this but it shouldn't be the be all and end all.
This so much. My kids have lost time with their friends, time exploring, and just being the age they are.

Just for context.
mammy was absolutely looking to have the teachers provide her with some free childcare 😂

Definitely not. Condense the curriculum, take out the irrelevant bits and make it time for a much needed re-jig of learning. What a perfect time to do it.

Reactions: 5
I’m undecided.
I want my daughter (11) to catch up. I told the school she was struggling at home and I got ignored but they need a break from school work. The same happened to my nephew.

I think so many will have slipped through the net. We had one call to check how we were getting on during the first week and nothing since.

No way. This year has completely changed my kids. I want them out having fun, seeing friends family and making happy memories. Of course I want them to do well in school , but this isn’t the way.
Teachers don’t deserve this. I will never forget how hard they have worked this year (and the rest of course)

Reactions: 8