World Cup Qatar 2022 - Right or wrong?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The World Cup is starting soon and it is probably one of the most controversial ever. The issues are well reported.

But are we doing Qatar an immense disservice? The last World Cup was in Russia, and surely their sins (if that’s what we can call them) vastly outweigh anything Qatar has done. And Qatar does seem to want to engage with the outside world and has spent vast sums of money on the tournament. Can any change happen without engagement?

Should the tournament have been awarded here in the first place? What are your thoughts?

Reactions: 1
No, shouldn't have been awarded to a state with a terrible human rights record.
Speak out against the regime and you'll disappear, stadiums built by slave labour, no tolerance for LGBT....and on and on.
But don't worry as the players take to the field they'll probably have rainbow armbands on or stand with A4 sized cards with some 'be tolerant' slogan on them.
Money talks & all that.

• Angry
Reactions: 12
Nope for many reasons it shouldn’t be there. Worse than its presence in Russia (at the time it was awarded - obviously if we were talking about a WC in Russia in 2022 it would not be happening!)

Reactions: 5
Surprised this thread isn’t more active. I agree it shouldn’t be held there. I think a member of fifa also mentioned about holding it in N.Korea. 🙄

Reactions: 3
Let’s see if the same views are aired about human rights when it’s held in America which has the worst record for human rights. Plus don’t see the ppl of uk complaining when Qatar invest 40billion into the economy. What a bunch of hypocrits.

Reactions: 2
I don't get why Football has suddenly been put on this big pedestal of morality. It's always been a bit scummy and corrupt so of course they're always going to go where the money is. You've just got to take it for what it is and either watch it or don't

Reactions: 1