Why makes you feel healthy?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Getting out in the fresh air
Drinking plenty of water
Going to the gym at least 3 times a week

Reactions: 1
Yoga (even 15 mins a day is enough to feel better!), meditation, long walks, consistent skincare routine.

For me to feel physically healthy I need to feel mentally healthy first. I try and keep on top of my mental health (anxiety and depression) by:

-good sleep schedule
-time away from social media
-distanced from toxic situations/people
-showering and cleaning my teeth everyday. (In a depressive episode this can be really hard)
-keeping my house and car clean and tidy

When I feel mentally strong and motivated that’s when I can focus on healthy eating and exercise. Physical and mental health definitely go hand in hand.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I feel most healthy when my life is in balance. Im on top of my work, I’ve been social with family and friends, feeling connected to my partner, had nice things to eat and exercised for enjoyment, probably practiced mindfulness or breathing, looked after myself (skin care, drank water, put on clothes), clean and tidy home.

Took me almost 30 years to dissociate health and wellbeing from weight. So much more to being healthy than weight loss!!

• Heart
Routine! a basic routine, get up, take meds, have breakfast, washed, dressed and bed made. I always take a multivitamin too. I make sure I tidy before I go to bed as I feel like having a tidy house really does help, nothing worse than waking up to mess.

sleep - getting a sleep routine and if I wake up at say 3am, I keep my eyes shut and eventually fall asleep again. I used to pick up my phone and start scrolling, not good.

getting fresh air. So I will sit on my balcony for a bit if I don’t fancy going for a walk/run but getting out of the flat does make me feel more refreshed.

This year I have stopped drinking, not ‘never drinking again’ and I’ve not planned it but I feel so much better. My head has never been clearer.

the next thing I’m planning is reducing screen time. I have loads of books I have to get through and I love writing and drawing so I plan to do more of that.

on the writing front, I have a notebook that says ‘things I cannot say out loud’ on the front and I do just that. Rant about it, then let it go.

mindfulness! It has really helped ground me when my mind has been racing. There are lots of online tools and YouTube videos. It takes practise but it has helped me so much.

self care - practising self care by painting my nails once a week, face masks, hot chocolate or my favourite snack. I sometimes play with makeup or style my hair. Or I simply get in my comfiest clothes, wrap myself up in my softest blanket and have a day watching my favourite tv shows/movies.

I didn’t take care of myself mentally or physically before and got myself into a really bad place. Slowly introducing the above has helped me immensely so I hope something here helps you 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For me to feel physically healthy I need to feel mentally healthy first. I try and keep on top of my mental health (anxiety and depression) by:

-good sleep schedule
-time away from social media
-distanced from toxic situations/people
-showering and cleaning my teeth everyday. (In a depressive episode this can be really hard)
-keeping my house and car clean and tidy

When I feel mentally strong and motivated that’s when I can focus on healthy eating and exercise. Physical and mental health definitely go hand in hand.
Totally agree with everything you’ve mentioned.

At a low point last year (I didn’t realise at the time that I was depressed) I used to go without showering for around 4/5 days as I just felt like there was no point. I slept in my clothes and wore them again the next day and I used to scratch my skin til it was sore. At the time I wouldn’t have thought I was depressed but looking back it’s obvious. I’ve now realised the little simple routine things make such a difference. It’s nice to hear what you’re all doing to feel healthy, it’s so important 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Totally agree with everything you’ve mentioned.

At a low point last year (I didn’t realise at the time that I was depressed) I used to go without showering for around 4/5 days as I just felt like there was no point. I slept in my clothes and wore them again the next day and I used to scratch my skin til it was sore. At the time I wouldn’t have thought I was depressed but looking back it’s obvious. I’ve now realised the little simple routine things make such a difference. It’s nice to hear what you’re all doing to feel healthy, it’s so important 😊
I used to feel ashamed and dirty for going days without showering or cleaning my teeth. But I had no motivation to make an effort. Like you, I also thought “what’s the point?”. I hate how in society people are seen as “scruffy” or “lazy” for having bad hygiene when in reality it’s most likely that person is suffering and has no motivation to look after themselves.

Reactions: 2
Having a good, consistent skincare routine!

This thread has completely opened my eyes to how much I neglect myself. I don’t drink water (just tea, coffee and booze). I don’t exercise, I go to bed too late and wake up too late. I don’t fill my time productively and I don’t take that much pride in my appearance anymore! However, I’m a healthy size 10 and my diet isn’t terrible. I eat whatever I want but I don’t eat if I’m not hungry and I enjoy cooking from scratch. Still, I feel so fatigued and rubbish 24/7, I need to look after myself more 😩

Reactions: 4