Which news story has always stuck with you? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Recently reading about the 10 year anniversary of Nicola Furlongs murder in Japan. Hard to believe it’s that long ago. Another horrible case that’s always stayed with me, as I was the same age and studying abroad at the time aswell. She was such a stunning girl. Her killer will be out later this year too 😔💔

• Sad
Reactions: 8
JFK Assassination. November 22, 1963. I was 11. I will never forget. And of course, September 11, 2001 is also a day I will never forget.

Reactions: 2
A few days I read the most distressing story about a newborn baby. I have a newborn myself and it really bring home how helpless they are and dependent on others. I won't repeat or link to the story as it was very upsetting. (Doesn't involve baby death!)

• Sad
Reactions: 2
The Russian submarine that sank. I was 18 and remember feeling just awful they were down there suffocating and then once announced they’d died one of their mums was sobbing on tv saying something bad about the government and you saw her be injected and then next news item was her all calm and pro the Russian government. It was really chilling.

Also there was a baby Abigail who was kidnapped from a hospital in Nottingham and was missing for two weeks before she was found. That must have been 30 odd years ago now.

Reactions: 1
Another one I recall was a young woman (18-19 years old) who had suffered a stroke or brain haemorrhage - seemingly related to lifelong epilepsy - and lost several years' worth of memories due to the effect on her brain. She said it had given her a lot more confidence, she had started out as overweight and shy but after losing her memories lost a lot of weight and became a gothy "alternative" model. But was sad she would never get those memories back and spent hours a day writing in a diary in case she should forget anything, it was quite sad

Hard to believe today marks 10 years since Jill Meagher was murdered in Melbourne. An absolutely heartbreaking case that shook the whole of Ireland and Australia back then. I can still remember the haunting CCTV of her last minutes that was shown all over the news at the time. May she RIP x

• Sad
Reactions: 5
On a lighthearted note, I remember a random news report about an issue with water at Buckingham Palace. I can’t remember the exact issue now but it was the reason I didn’t drink tap water again for many years! 🤣 (I was very young)

I cannot for the life of me find any trace online but a crime in Melbourne that made me gasp a few years ago comes to mind sometimes. A man innocently told a colleague when they were discussing their weekend plans that he was going away for the weekend, must have mentioned without his wife or colleague put two and two together, so while the guy was away the colleague broke into his home and raped his wife who was recovering from a hysterectomy I believe.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I think today’s story of the 3 little boys losing their life in the icy lake and the 4th still fighting for life will stick with me for a long time. It’s not far from me so been all over the local news and just so desperately sad. Apparently the youngest age 6 fell in first and the others 8, 10 and 11 went in to save him 😢
I first read about it last night and wanted to wake up to news they were recovering.

• Sad
Reactions: 9