Which news story has always stuck with you? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Karen Buckley. We had the police knock on the door all down our street a few times to see if anybody had seen or heard anything when they were doing a reconstruction because apparently she might have walked down our street the night she was murdered.

Paige Doherty, we were driving to work and the road was all blocked off by police, I remember being really angry but felt awful a few hours later because we found out they had found her body.

Both of these were just a few miles from our home, seeing all events actually fold out makes it actually feel real, like you just think of these things happening in TV shows or movies, when you read about them you usually forget by the end of the day.

Reactions: 5
Rachel Whitear, the young lady who was found dead from a heroin overdose, I remember as a child seeing the photo of her on the front of the newspapers. That's one of many stories that have stuck with me.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
In more lighthearted news, one of the first news stories I can remember being aware of when I was a kid was Dolly the sheep, the first cloned mammal 🐑

• Heart
Reactions: 14
One that still sticks with me to this day is Leah croucher going missing. She’s from my local area and posters are still all over the town and bridges going over the roads. Many theories on socials about her having an affair with a married man and I remember her brother posting on Facebook how he thought this man had her killed or something. Sadly her brother also took his own life a year or so after she went missing. So so sad for that poor family.

Reactions: 6
I suppose the more obvious one being 9/11. I was around 10 and can still remember vividly watching it on the news and talking about it in school. I can’t really believe it’s been 20 years. It still feels so recent. A defining moment in history for sure.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
One that still sticks with me to this day is Leah croucher going missing. She’s from my local area and posters are still all over the town and bridges going over the roads. Many theories on socials about her having an affair with a married man and I remember her brother posting on Facebook how he thought this man had her killed or something. Sadly her brother also took his own life a year or so after she went missing. So so sad for that poor family.
I’m local too. The not knowing must be the worst part for the family. I hope they get answers one day.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Karen Buckley whose anniversary occurs around this time. May she RIP.
As a young Irish woman around the same age it really hit close to home. It was such a huge case in Ireland at the time. I find it so upsetting how excited she must have been to start life in Glasgow only for it to be stolen from her so cruelly.😔

Michaela McAreavey, such a desperate crime. One of the most shocking stories in Ireland of the last 10 years I would say. Such a shame no one has ever been convicted.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Gateshead - Alice Ruggles, stalked and brutally murdered by her ex boyfriend, inspite of reporting her worries and concerns about his behaviour to the police.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Gateshead - Alice Ruggles, stalked and brutally murdered by her ex boyfriend, inspite of reporting her worries and concerns about his behaviour to the police.
Yes i remember that one, i also remember watching the Trevor Mcdonald show where it actually followed the police team and showed his arrest. That poor girl such a beautiful life that could have been saved

Ive just read a horrid story about a 6 year old in the US that was set on fire by some other children (they set a tennis ball alight and threw it at him). 😭

• Sad
  • Wow
Leah Betts, the girl who died after taking ecstasy, I think she drank far too much water as a result of taking it and it had a devastating effect. I was maybe 15 at the time when I heard of some kids at school starting to get into drugs, and seeing that I just didn’t want to risk it, and have never taken anything that’s been offered to me. If I remember right, her parents wanted her last pictures published to put other people off from taking drugs.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
The murder of the two army corporals, Derek Wood and David Howes at an IRA funeral in 1988.

It stuck with me because it was probably the most graphic news report I'd seen.

• Sad
The murders of Marsha McDonnell and Amelie de la Grainge by Levi Bellfield as we lived close by. Was a scary time as we were told not to travel alone. Marsha is buried in our local cemetery.

Jia Ashton - a murder about 10 years ago - she was a young Chinese woman who worked at a Thorntons factory IIRC and was murdered by a co-worker who was obsessed with her. The killer was well over a foot taller than her and about three times her weight, I remember it because all the news articles used photos deliberately chosen to show how petite she was, especially next to her tall, white, English husband and play on stereotypes of Asian women as beautiful and delicate etc. I'm also an East Asian woman and it gave me such a creepy feeling, why would anyone think that appropriate? It also struck me as weird because her husband's father had since married her mother as well (i.e. double in-law marriage)

Antoni Imiela, the M25 "trophy rapist" sticks with me as well, at the time my older cousin's then-girlfriend was attacked by a guy who the police thought might have been him. She got away, but she had to have several police interviews etc

Reactions: 3
Probably been said before in the other thread but, Princess Diana's death. I was a kid at the time and watching cartoons on a Sunday morning, a box kept flashing up on the screen saying please turn over to the news chanel for an important news story. I remember shouting out to my mum that Diana was dead, and my family all came rushing in to watch the news on TV.

Reactions: 2
Probably been said before in the other thread but, Princess Diana's death. I was a kid at the time and watching cartoons on a Sunday morning, a box kept flashing up on the screen saying please turn over to the news chanel for an important news story. I remember shouting out to my mum that Diana was dead, and my family all came rushing in to watch the news on TV.
Same way I found out too. My parents didn't believe us at first

Reactions: 2
Same way I found out too. My parents didn't believe us at first
Same here. I remember waking early and putting the tv on in my room and seeing it. I ran through to mum and dads room and shouted Diana is dead. They didn’t believe me so I made them get up to show them. I was in complete shock and cried lots.

Reactions: 1