Weirdest thing that's happened at a birthday party

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read this post on reddit and thought it was bizarre so I was wondering if anyone had any weird birthday party stories to share!

"Earlier today I went to a birthday party for my daughters (6) friend from school. The party was being held at Build a Bear, but it wasn’t run by the employees. We had cake and pizza in the food court, then went down to BAB to make bears, then back to friends house for the rest of the party.
The invitation said each kid (about 8 total) would get to make a Bear, and I just assumed they would get to take them home, since that is what happened at another BAB party I went to. Me and my husband even pitched in about 30 dollars as we know these things can get expensive.
We get to the store, and the kids go wild getting their animals and accessories. As far as I know the parents didn’t really put a limit, but I made my daughter stick to just a standard dog with a shirt, which about half the parents did as well. All is well, we leave the store, then friends mom announces that the kids need to give all their animals to her daughter. Cue the upset and angry kids. They all disappointingly handed over their animals, and friend wasn’t even being nice about it either. Another little boy didn’t want to, and friend ripped it out of his hands. I probably should have said something, but I didn’t. The other parents seemed pretty baffled too.
We get back to friends house and our kids are watching as friend plays with all her new animals. I left with my daughter pretty quickly, and once we got back into the car she just started bawling. I felt bad so we went to build a bear and got her a new one.
I’m just wondering if this is totally normal and I should have expected this, or am I being an entitled parent?
Update:
This afternoon at school pickup me and another parent had a chance to talk with the mom of the party. It wasn’t a long conversation, but I’ll do my best to re-enact it here. Moms fake name will be Karen.
Insert awkward small talk here
Karen- ... I hope the girls enjoyed (daughters) party the other day. I know (daughter) had lots of fun.
Other mom- Haha yeah I was actually wondering about the whole (daughter) getting all the bears thing. The kids seemed pretty upset afterwards.
Karen- Oh yeah we wanted (daughter) to have a special animal decorated by each of her friends.
Me- Oh okay. I was just wondering why the kids didn’t get to keep their bears. I even pitched in a little bit of money, assuming the bears would go to the kids.
Karen- Well I didn’t have enough money for each of the guests to make their own, that would get pretty expensive! If you want your money back I’ll see about getting it back to you. I don’t really see the problem though.
Me- Okay, well the kids were forced to give away their new creations, obviously they are going to be upset about it. I also don’t see why your daughter needs all these animals.
Karen didn’t respond and walked away right after, probably offended.
What bothers me is she said she “didn’t have enough money for all the kids to have one”, but she did have enough for her daughter to get like 8 bears. Just doesn’t really make sense.
Now I admit I’m not the most confrontational person, so I probably should have talked to her more about it. Anyways, I guess we sort of worked it out, no ones fighting, so I’m not sure I’m going to mention it to her again. Sorry this wasn’t the most satisfying ending. But thanks for all the love and support, it means a lot."

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I think the weirdest party we went too was with my daughter, the invites had no names on, they just invited the whole year group with a added note saying absolutely no siblings as entertainment wouldn't stretch that far. Got the party, it was a empty hall in the local community centre, no decoration, no music, just about 10 balloons floating around the room! Party food was just Jaffa cakes, choc fingers and party rings. No birthday cake, no entertainment nothing! All parents got a text after saying thank you z had the best day ever!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I think the weirdest party we went too was with my daughter, the invites had no names on, they just invited the whole year group with a added note saying absolutely no siblings as entertainment wouldn't stretch that far. Got the party, it was a empty hall in the local community centre, no decoration, no music, just about 10 balloons floating around the room! Party food was just Jaffa cakes, choc fingers and party rings. No birthday cake, no entertainment nothing! All parents got a text after saying thank you z had the best day ever!
What did you do for the two hours you were there for?

hahahahahahahahaha wtf

• Haha
Reactions: 1
The weirdest for me was about 15 I think. Got invited to a friends house for a party and her mother let us out onto the street and told us to do what we wanted until our parents picked us up. It was 8pm in September! My dad walked past on his way to the pub and went mental 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Gosh this sounds like the same kids party I went to years ago... my son had an invite to a party from a child who's name I hadnt really heard leaving my boys gob so I assumed it was a whole class invite. Same, destitute, barely lit, grubby community hall with a table of jaffa cakes and cheese and onion crisps, a whole class of kids running amok for a couple of hours. Souless, no music, no entertainer, nothing! I left very greasy, exhausted and with the worlds worst headache .. even though I didnt talk to anyone, sat twiddling my thumbs (the school he went to, the parents were quite cliquey) the parent in question didnt welcome anyone, thank anyone, etc. Infact it took me ages to work out who the birthday child was.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Years ago my parents went to a birthday party in a community centre/hall type of place. While they were there a couple had a row and the man stormed off somewhere, the wife well sod him, let him stew etc. About an hour or so later the man then fell through the roof and landed on the dance floor. God knows why he’d climbed onto the roof? Lucky someone wasn’t killed really.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Years ago my parents went to a birthday party in a community centre/hall type of place. While they were there a couple had a row and the man stormed off somewhere, the wife well sod him, let him stew etc. About an hour or so later the man then fell through the roof and landed on the dance floor. God knows why he’d climbed onto the roof? Lucky someone wasn’t killed really.
My god was he okay?!

Jaffa cakes, choc fingers and party rings sound like my kinda party food :D
So no musical chairs, pass the parcel, grandmother's footsteps, farmer's in his den games? No party bags at the end? How disappointing. Apart from the food, obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Jaffa cakes, choc fingers and party rings sound like my kinda party food :D
So no musical chairs, pass the parcel, grandmother's footsteps, farmer's in his den games? No party bags at the end? How disappointing. Apart from the food, obviously.
Nope, absolutely nothing apart from the balloons that were oddly sperm shaped 🤣 the food was it's only saving grace!

• Haha
My friend's husband used to be a DJ (weddings and stuff, not raves and dance parties :D ) and he offered to provide the music at my son's 5th birthday party at the church hall. My friend worked at a sweet factory and offered to provide some goodies using her staff discount. Imagine 40 over-excited 5 year olds dancing to the birdie song and Oops Upside Your Head, combined with god knows what E numbers and and an overdose of sugar...oh my God, the noise, the shrieking, it was pandemonium - the kids loved it, mind. I still have the video of it. After that, parties were very low key. Two or three friends, a DVD and a pizza, nothing more.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My friend's husband used to be a DJ (weddings and stuff, not raves and dance parties :D ) and he offered to provide the music at my son's 5th birthday party at the church hall. My friend worked at a sweet factory and offered to provide some goodies using her staff discount. Imagine 40 over-excited 5 year olds dancing to the birdie song and Oops Upside Your Head, combined with god knows what E numbers and and an overdose of sugar...oh my God, the noise, the shrieking, it was pandemonium - the kids loved it, mind. I still have the video of it. After that, parties were very low key. Two or three friends, a DVD and a pizza, nothing more.

That's so funny! Kids don't even really dance either they just run around, I bet it was chaos! I think I'd rather soft play 🤣 🤣

That's so funny! Kids don't even really dance either they just run around, I bet it was chaos! I think I'd rather soft play 🤣 🤣
Yes, when I say dancing, it was more racing around the room, getting each other into headlocks and doing 5 year old versions of rugby tackles :D :D Soft play is tame compared to that bloody party! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I’m howling oh my god this is hilarious 😭😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 can just imagine sawdust everywhere 😭

• Haha
My god was he okay?!
I think so yes. It was a very long time ago. Late 80’s early 90’s. I just remember being told the story and thinking it was hilarious.

I’m howling oh my god this is hilarious 😭😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 can just imagine sawdust everywhere 😭
Im glad you said this because I’ve been pissing myself over it since I was about eight years old and felt like I was being mean, I can only imagine how random it was!