Wedding gift

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What is an appropriate amount of money to give a close family member (my sister) for a wedding gift. They have requested cash gifts as this seems to be the modern day thing, I have no issue with that request. I was thinking £200/250?

My sister gave me £50 when I got married 2 years ago so I think that’s very generous!!!! 🥰

Reactions: 4
I guess it totally depends on what you can afford. If you can afford £250 and feel comfortable giving that then go for it. I would say that’s more than generous.

Reactions: 6
When I’ve given money as wedding gifts before, I’ve matched what I’d normally spend on a birthday gift for that person. ☺

Reactions: 3
We asked for this for our wedding, and generally we got around £60 - £80 off older family members, £50ish off younger, and we couldn’t actually believe how generous everyone had been. We expected maybe £20 if anything as we stated we didn’t need anything. £250 is wildly generous but very sweet if you can afford it 😊

Reactions: 2
Thanks ladies, that has been very helpful and good variation on amounts. It's so hard to know! In my day you got some wine glasses or a towel set 😂

Reactions: 3
Personally I would go £250, but I like my sister quite a lot 🤣 if that’s what they’d asked for I would have given £250. We bought some flights for my sister & bil for a wedding gift and I should imagine it was around the £200-300 mark (can’t remember as it was 11yrs ago!)

Reactions: 1
I think it depends on your circumstances. Personally for me £250 is a little steep, i would say around £40 max but then I am a tight wad and plus the fact I don't get on with my sister. 😃
If you can afford it then give as much as you like.

When I got married many years ago we received money/vouchers from £15 to £100 (as we had a home that we had furnished) so requested Argos, B&Q vouchers for when we decided to redecorate - all of which we was extremely grateful for.

When my husbands brother got married 5 years ago we gave them a £100 voucher if you can afford £250 then go for it

£250 is extremely generous. We got £100 of older folks, and about £40 from people of our age.
The worst one was £5 from a cousin. We would have preferred just a card. Some people who couldn’t give much did that, and it was much nicer. That same cousin also had two weddings next year, so I guess they were saving 😂

• Haha
I gave my brother £50 when I was 19. I’d probs give 100 now. Depends on whatever you can afford I guess!