Wedding day horror stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mum stood on the train of my dress, I went to walk off and.....rrrrrrriiipppp! The whole back of my dress ripped off.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I work in the wedding industry but I'm not directly involved on they day itself, like a photographer or make up artist. I had worked with a lovely couple, a bit older, second marriage scenario and they both had grown up kids. Wedding day was Saturday 30th November 2019 and on that day I remember it was so sunny and crisp and that they would be getting great wedding photos. At 4:30pm the same day, my phone went off and I was surprised to see it was a message from the bride and my thoughts at that time were she was surely just sitting down for their meal with their guests. No - she had messaged to tell me that her fiance had left her the morning of the wedding, and it was too late by the time they'd realised and all the guests were there waiting for the ceremony to start. She was pretty much ready to walk down the aisle, dress on, hair done, etc. Turns out he'd "gone for a drive" and couldn't face going ahead with the wedding. It then turned out that he was STILL MARRIED to his ex, as discovered later on by the registrar! He'd managed to get away by telling her he'd take care of all the paperwork side of things, but he didn't actually do it. She went ahead with the meal for everyone, but cancelled the band. Absolute coward. I was gutted for her, she was lovely.

Another one, my own wedding, although not quite a horror story but in part shows why I left my ex less than 18 months after the wedding despite being together 14 years... everything to the built up of the wedding was totally fine and had such a nice wedding morning with my mum, dad and bridemaids doing all the usual wedding morning things. I didn't hear from my ex at all the morning of the wedding, but I knew he was at his parents and a few of his friends were there and never thought much of it. I sent the typical "can't wait to see you at the end of the aisle" type thing.

Get to the venue in the cars and me, the bridesmaid and my dad are outside waiting to go in with the co-ordinator and I can hear all this yelling and laughter coming from our guests. Turns out the minister guy though he was some sort of hype man and was getting everyone 'riled up'. Did the whole entrance thing and met me ex and the bottom and he just yelled "yassss" (as in "yassss Gaga!") - he was hammered. I asked him through gritted teeth how much he'd had to drink and he said he'd had 2 beers. I knew him well enough to know it wasn't 2 beers. The ceremony was a bit chaotic in parts, - the minister tried to be the centre of attention at every opportunity and one of the groomsmen (also drunk) kept heckling the minister and was threatened to be kicked out. That bit of over... phew! Went off with the photographer and that was a joke. My ex kept asking me to 'pull his finger' in front of everyone and we couldn't get any photos cos he kept bursting into hysterics. Not the good kind that make a nice candid photo - the kind that makes people think 'what the duck is wrong with this guy'.

On to the meal and my dad went first with the usual embarrassing moments in the speech, but then onto my ex - he had no speech prepared and it was a total rambling mess. Not once did he even acknowledge me or my parents and spent 3 minutes going on about how one of his friends had to go to Asda that morning to buy himself a shirt from the kids section. Father-in-law was totally wasted and kept randomly butting in. During the meal, my ex kept leaving the table to go and sit with his pals and come the end of the meal, the best man was so drunk that a member of staff from the venue spoon fed him his dessert and he was bedded by 8pm. Father-in-law disappeared for hours and turned out he was asleep on the floor of the disabled toilet.

Evening reception was fine, dancefloor was full all night, but my ex fell out with me cos I didn't want all his friends back in our suite for an after party. The sex that night was probably one of the worst in my life and he was an absolute c**t to me the next morning trying to 'joke' that he regretted the wedding already.

Over the coming days, I found out that my ex, his parents and 7 of his friends all sit in the house that morning drinking 4 ltrs of vodka and 9 bottles Buckfast, then had the limo stop of the way to the venue to buy more to drink on the way to the venue. So this explained why they were all so drunk. As much as I was disappointed in him, I was more disappointed in his parents that no-one took a moment to think "come on now, this is a wedding, not a night up the town". I'm all for a bit of dutch courage, but they took the piss. Half of this makes me sound stuck up or no fun, but I seriously didn't expect that on the wedding day. I wanted a laid back day, folk to have a good dance, enjoy a drink, but this was next level.

It was his inability to step back and know when enoughs enough and I walked away from him 16 months later. He hasn't changed, still drink obsessed and acting like a teenager. I have no regrets and an amazing boyfriend.
You gave him 16 months more than i would have.

Reactions: 7
My friend's wedding reception over 20 years ago was crashed by Chris Eubank. He'd just won(?) a fight and was having a post-fight party in the hotel and invited all the wedding guests... her new husband ditched the reception to go and party with Eubank.
Is he still her husband?

At my cousins wedding one of my other cousins smacked the chief bridesmaid across the face, ripped a necklace off the mother of the groom then pushed her off a bar stool, she had to be carried out by her mortified husband. We later found out she’d been doing cocaine all night.
Crazy! Did she apologise to them?

Crazy! Did she apologise to them?
No. She claimed the bridesmaid goaded her. It happened in the bar quite late after everyone else had gone to bed. But one of the other guests was in bed and could hear it all from her room so she must have made hell of a noise.

Reactions: 2
My sister and I went to the evening do of a couple we both worked with. The girl was lovely but the groom was a known sleaze who had tried it on with me a few times. Anyway, as we were leaving, I went to say goodbye to them both. As I was giving the groom a hug, he whispered in my ear 'you know I would have rather married you any day'. I was just so shocked I disappeared into the toilet. My sister followed, wondering what was wrong. I said you're not going to believe what he's just said to me. Anyway the bride and groom are divorced now because he couldn't keep it in his pants.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I've been married twice. My second ex MIL (Norman Bates, Psycho) wore a white dress to my wedding! And she didnt stop there, she literally doubled over and burst into fake tears at the ceremony - it was a Vegas wedding so we only had two witnesses, her and my nephew. She was ridiculously over the top. Worst thing is, the whole thing was recorded and you cant focus on anything other than her crying her eyes out. Her son was in his 40s FFS!

My first ex husband is a catholic so the ceremony was at a catholic church, a catholic wedding is VERY long winded, I got very bored at my own wedding, so duck knows how the guests felt. His mother decided to invite lots of random people we barely knew... I'm talking about all her neighbours! My sister got drunk and smashed the window to the local funeral parlour next to the hall 😱 my family did NOT get on with his family, there were alot of fights!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
My cousin is married to someone who manages a wedding venue. His most memorable wedding was one where at the reception there were scratch cards as wedding favours. It got to meal time and they all sat down and people used their scratch cards: the groom had one which said he had won £100 000 which was obviously amazing. After the meal everyone was looking for the groom and couldn't find him. The maid of honour was also missing. Eventually the best man called the groom and he was at the airport with the maid of honour! Turns out they had been having an affair for ages and when they saw that the groom had won so much money they decided to run away together with it. Unfortunately the groomsmen had given the groom a fake scratch card and he hadn't won a thing. The best man had to break this to them. They didnt return to the venue. The bride decided to carry on with the party, told everyone, they drank and danced and the venue staff ended up looking after her getting her to bed.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
My cousin is married to someone who manages a wedding venue. His most memorable wedding was one where at the reception there were scratch cards as wedding favours. It got to meal time and they all sat down and people used their scratch cards: the groom had one which said he had won £100 000 which was obviously amazing. After the meal everyone was looking for the groom and couldn't find him. The maid of honour was also missing. Eventually the best man called the groom and he was at the airport with the maid of honour! Turns out they had been having an affair for ages and when they saw that the groom had won so much money they decided to run away together with it. Unfortunately the groomsmen had given the groom a fake scratch card and he hadn't won a thing. The best man had to break this to them. They didnt return to the venue. The bride decided to carry on with the party, told everyone, they drank and danced and the venue staff ended up looking after her getting her to bed.
WTAF?!?! Surely this is a plot of a film??? It's brilliant 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 9
Didn't that happen in an episode of 'First Dates'?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I work in the wedding industry but I'm not directly involved on they day itself, like a photographer or make up artist. I had worked with a lovely couple, a bit older, second marriage scenario and they both had grown up kids. Wedding day was Saturday 30th November 2019 and on that day I remember it was so sunny and crisp and that they would be getting great wedding photos. At 4:30pm the same day, my phone went off and I was surprised to see it was a message from the bride and my thoughts at that time were she was surely just sitting down for their meal with their guests. No - she had messaged to tell me that her fiance had left her the morning of the wedding, and it was too late by the time they'd realised and all the guests were there waiting for the ceremony to start. She was pretty much ready to walk down the aisle, dress on, hair done, etc. Turns out he'd "gone for a drive" and couldn't face going ahead with the wedding. It then turned out that he was STILL MARRIED to his ex, as discovered later on by the registrar! He'd managed to get away by telling her he'd take care of all the paperwork side of things, but he didn't actually do it. She went ahead with the meal for everyone, but cancelled the band. Absolute coward. I was gutted for her, she was lovely.

Another one, my own wedding, although not quite a horror story but in part shows why I left my ex less than 18 months after the wedding despite being together 14 years... everything to the built up of the wedding was totally fine and had such a nice wedding morning with my mum, dad and bridemaids doing all the usual wedding morning things. I didn't hear from my ex at all the morning of the wedding, but I knew he was at his parents and a few of his friends were there and never thought much of it. I sent the typical "can't wait to see you at the end of the aisle" type thing.

Get to the venue in the cars and me, the bridesmaid and my dad are outside waiting to go in with the co-ordinator and I can hear all this yelling and laughter coming from our guests. Turns out the minister guy though he was some sort of hype man and was getting everyone 'riled up'. Did the whole entrance thing and met me ex and the bottom and he just yelled "yassss" (as in "yassss Gaga!") - he was hammered. I asked him through gritted teeth how much he'd had to drink and he said he'd had 2 beers. I knew him well enough to know it wasn't 2 beers. The ceremony was a bit chaotic in parts, - the minister tried to be the centre of attention at every opportunity and one of the groomsmen (also drunk) kept heckling the minister and was threatened to be kicked out. That bit of over... phew! Went off with the photographer and that was a joke. My ex kept asking me to 'pull his finger' in front of everyone and we couldn't get any photos cos he kept bursting into hysterics. Not the good kind that make a nice candid photo - the kind that makes people think 'what the duck is wrong with this guy'.

On to the meal and my dad went first with the usual embarrassing moments in the speech, but then onto my ex - he had no speech prepared and it was a total rambling mess. Not once did he even acknowledge me or my parents and spent 3 minutes going on about how one of his friends had to go to Asda that morning to buy himself a shirt from the kids section. Father-in-law was totally wasted and kept randomly butting in. During the meal, my ex kept leaving the table to go and sit with his pals and come the end of the meal, the best man was so drunk that a member of staff from the venue spoon fed him his dessert and he was bedded by 8pm. Father-in-law disappeared for hours and turned out he was asleep on the floor of the disabled toilet.

Evening reception was fine, dancefloor was full all night, but my ex fell out with me cos I didn't want all his friends back in our suite for an after party. The sex that night was probably one of the worst in my life and he was an absolute c**t to me the next morning trying to 'joke' that he regretted the wedding already.

Over the coming days, I found out that my ex, his parents and 7 of his friends all sit in the house that morning drinking 4 ltrs of vodka and 9 bottles Buckfast, then had the limo stop of the way to the venue to buy more to drink on the way to the venue. So this explained why they were all so drunk. As much as I was disappointed in him, I was more disappointed in his parents that no-one took a moment to think "come on now, this is a wedding, not a night up the town". I'm all for a bit of dutch courage, but they took the piss. Half of this makes me sound stuck up or no fun, but I seriously didn't expect that on the wedding day. I wanted a laid back day, folk to have a good dance, enjoy a drink, but this was next level.

It was his inability to step back and know when enoughs enough and I walked away from him 16 months later. He hasn't changed, still drink obsessed and acting like a teenager. I have no regrets and an amazing boyfriend.
None of this sounds like you are stuck up. I would have been so upset and 100% would have walked out! You did very well to make it through the day but thank god your away from him now 🤗