Vignettes and Pets

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When we were deep into Covid last year and I was just trying to get used to the fear and the isolation I wrote this having cooked myself a really nice meal...I re-read it again for the first time today and thought you might like to as well...I’d previously come across an article on Guardian Angels at the time and rather liked the idea of having one all to myself...probably like you have an imaginary friend as a child I expect...

Angel at my Table

I asked myself to dinner and placed silver on my table
And made a fuss of everything as only I am able
I only had to cook for one since I have isolated
Yet my table (set for two) was pleasing - beautifully curated
It really used to matter how my dining table looked
And it really used to matter how my well planned food was cooked
It really used to matter that the candlesticks would gleam
And conversations flowed through courses and the space between
It really used to matter what I wore and what I said
Yet tonight I’m in my bedclothes since I’ll soon be off to bed
My hair unwashed, my face scrubbed clean, all artifice has gone
Yet there’s comfort in the trouble taken for this meal for one
The candles flicker peacefully and cast their shadows round the room
The news on TV silent now to crush the errant words of doom
No planes, no cars, no traffic; all is just serene and calm
As I sit here I’m imagining a brushing on my arm
The faintest whisper in my ear like muffled sheepskin on a drum
I think I hear the kindest words - “That’s lovely Oops, my dear - well done”...

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
When we were deep into Covid last year and I was just trying to get used to the fear and the isolation I wrote this having cooked myself a really nice meal...I re-read it again for the first time today and thought you might like to as well...I’d previously come across an article on Guardian Angels at the time and rather liked the idea of having one all to myself...probably like you have an imaginary friend as a child I expect...

Angel at my Table

I think I hear the kindest words - “That’s lovely Oopsie, dear - well done”...
@Oops, that is one of your finest. Absolutely beautiful - you sum up the exact mood of those early days. I have taken a pic of this on my phone to show my sister on Friday. I hope you don’t mind. This is incredible. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Angel at my Table

I think I hear the kindest words - “That’s lovely Oopsie, dear - well done”...
That is so beautiful and moving. i can just picture the lovely table and the flickering candlelight ....you really capture the feeling of the first lockdown.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Angel at my Table

I think I hear the kindest words - “That’s lovely Oops, my dear - well done”...
Ooh, I love that!! (I know...I'm not very original with my affirmations, but I just love all of it!) It gave me goosebumps at the end. I love the idea of a protector watching over you.

On a side note, my interest was piqued when I saw the title, as I wrote a song called 'Brother at my table'. (Not nearly as good as this though, but it did bring back some lovely memories). 🤗

She’s 16 - this is a new venture for her. I struggle to keep a pot of basil alive so I’m no help!
Eta - the teeny pots behind them are sunflowers but they are determined not to show themselves.
Bless her. That's so lovely, and she's doing a fab job! I would label them individually if I had writing that beautiful also!!
You would have laughed at my sunflowers this year. I mentioned them over on the other thread a week or so back. We don't water anything in the garden usually (as we save it for the cows), so I had these big tall stems (probably 3 feet high), and these teeny flowers on the top. They were supposed to be 5 feet tall (at least), with flowers about 30cm wide! 😂 As the saying goes "God loves a trier", and my husband tells me that I am very trying. :mThis year I am going to prioritise watering my garden (we always have droughts!) 🌺

Night night all - have a beautiful day! xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Ooh, I love that!! (I know...I'm not very original with my affirmations, but I just love all of it!) It gave me goosebumps at the end. I love the idea of a protector watching over you.

On a side note, my interest was piqued when I saw the title, as I wrote a song called 'Brother at my table'. (Not nearly as good as this though, but it did bring back some lovely memories). 🤗

Bless her. That's so lovely, and she's doing a fab job! I would label them individually if I had writing that beautiful also!!
You would have laughed at my sunflowers this year. I mentioned them over on the other thread a week or so back. We don't water anything in the garden usually (as we save it for the cows), so I had these big tall stems (probably 3 feet high), and these teeny flowers on the top. They were supposed to be 5 feet tall (at least), with flowers about 30cm wide! 😂 As the saying goes "God loves a trier", and my husband tells me that I am very trying. :mThis year I am going to prioritise watering my garden (we always have droughts!) 🌺

Night night all - have a beautiful day! xx
I know - I remember your post! I think @Miscanthus said that sunflowers were fairly elementary to grow - well, not here! At least your stems grew - ours are very shy! Nighty night x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reading all your gardening posts (never going to live down the sunflower comment 🙄 )....
I love this time of year in my garden...my Iris germanica flowered yesterday and my paeonies are in bud...two of my favourites.

Your last sentence is IT in a nutshell... v confused tbh. Re the book - I will look into it asap. Daré - just keep your finger on the e then slide to the accent you choose. Cannot believe I just gave you techy advice - ha! 😂😂

I have read Tattooist as well - v good book.
Thank you for the techy advice...who knew you could do that? I'm putting accents on everything now!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I would probably have fainthearted freesias, retiring roses and coquettish crocuses too...!

A faint-hearted freesia called Molly
Retired with a rose bush called Polly
Whilst Shylie Sunflower appeared for an hour
The crocus just blinked and looked jolly...

Agghhhh! @MissMidnight YOU are psychic - GREAT MINDS :love:

41D870A8-B0DD-4AC7-948C-AEFBE78098E7.jpeg

Hermes is winging his way over later today! Watch this space...:m
SUCH a lovely book. Thank you so much @Sofie 💛

Last edited:
  • Heart
Look what arrived on my doorstep today @Milking Keynes and @Sofie!

Thank you for sharing these with us ... they’re both absolutely beautiful books ... I LOVE THEM! 🥰

View attachment 592159
The illustrations are divine!! Happy days! 🤗 ❤

A faint-hearted freesia called Molly
Retired with a rose bush called Polly
Whilst Shylie Sunflower appeared for an hour
The crocus just blinked and looked jolly...

Agghhhh! @MissMidnight YOU are psychic - GREAT MINDS :love:

View attachment 592166

Hermes is winging his way over later today! Watch this space...:m
SUCH a lovely book. Thank you so much @Sofie 💛
What a darling little poem @Oops... 🤗

• Heart
9806011F-CB59-433A-A79F-64A813ADAEF4.jpeg

Guess today is ‘LOVE YOUR MOUTH DAY’ girls! :love:

So...latest news on Teddy Bear age 16...

After his little escapade last week when the vet had to be called out (see other thread for details ;) ).

He then thought nothing of breaking one of his large back teeth off at the roots and yet it remained attached to the front gum. So yesterday I had to take him to hospital for an anaesthetic and a tooth extraction. Without wishing to sound too over the top; the process was harrowing for him and deeply upsetting for me. They had to sedate him in the car because he was NOT getting out of the car and he wasn’t going quietly. Anyway, I then had to chair a board meeting in my own garden and try to be professional. Lovely. I was on pins inside because anaesthesia is never good for a dog of a certain age. I am delighted to report he sailed through his op and he is back home having a well deserved rest. They took another smaller tooth out as well to be on the safe side. He seems to be completely back on form today♥. Double Phew...

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
View attachment 592174

After his little escapade last week when the vet had to be called out (see other thread for details ;) ).

He then thought nothing of breaking one of his large back teeth off at the roots and yet it remained attached to the front gum. So yesterday I had to take him to hospital for an anaesthetic and a tooth extraction. Without wishing to sound too over the top; the process was harrowing for him and deeply upsetting for me. They had to sedate him in the car because he was NOT getting out of the car and he wasn’t going quietly. Anyway, I then had to chair a board meeting in my own garden and try to be professional. Lovely. I was on pins inside because anaesthesia is never good for a dog of a certain age. I am delighted to report he sailed through his op and he is back home having a well deserved rest. They took another smaller tooth out as well to be on the safe side. He seems to be completely back on form today♥. Double Phew...
Oh no....how terrible for you both..after last week..
So pleased all is ok now 😍🐶❤

• Heart
View attachment 592174

Oh Teddy Bear....I love your spirit!! I think it's utterly fair enough for him to demand that the vet come to him!! Oops, I'm sure that you were the ultimate professional, no matter what was going on in the background. (Although, the odd meltdown which is well timed and placed, can add a certain 'something' to such meetings, and just goes to prove that you're human!) 🤗 ;)
How is Mummy Oops doing today? All of my love being sent to you and Master Teddy Bear. 🌺

• Heart
View attachment 592174

OMG, @Oops, poor Teddy Bear and what a day for you. Sedation in the car - I can only imagine. Thank God he’s ok, the poor wee man has had a terrible time of late. Lots of love and hugs from me and Gem.🐶❤

• Heart
View attachment 592174

What a relief to hear he’s come through that, phew indeed!
where would we be without our animal companions? I am feeling very worried about my youngest daughter and my cat and dog both cuddled up to me on the sofa last night / very unusual to have them both! Mr Geranium took a photo but I dare not share as I look like Wurzel Gummidge the scarecrow!
give Teddy Bear a big cuddle from me, Oops xx

• Heart
What a relief to hear he’s come through that, phew indeed!
where would we be without our animal companions? I am feeling very worried about my youngest daughter and my cat and dog both cuddled up to me on the sofa last night / very unusual to have them both! Mr Geranium took a photo but I dare not share as I look like Wurzel Gummidge the scarecrow!
give Teddy Bear a big cuddle from me, Oops xx
I am also feeling very worried about my daughter - state exams loom and I worry for her mental state. Her sleep patterns are erratic too, I got Gem cuddles last night too. I was watching a movie called How do you know - a charming romcom with Reese Witherspoon. I can recommend - light and engaging - just what we need!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.