Vignettes and Pets

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Stay here! (Can I stay? Am I cool enough? :cool:)
Absolutely you are a joy! This is for a little group of us who became refugees again and not sure which site is best for us x:m

Just let me know where you all end up, ladies. Xx
My senses tell me here might be better so we don’t go off topic on FS.
Really not sure what happened... :cry:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Absolutely you are a joy! This is for a little group of us who became refugees again and not sure which site is best for us x:m

My senses tell me here might be better so we don’t go off topic on FS.
Really not sure what happened... :cry:
Thank you so much @Oops... That means a lot! ❤
I don't mind attempting to keep you lovely bunch of people 'on topic', and flick the odd pet cartoon up! 😅
To me, this wee thread is a tonic - it seems really peaceful. I haven't been contributing for long, but I have lurked for quite a while, and I feel that there are some really special individuals on here (and on the other thread too).
Thank you all for putting up with me - I feel that I just launched myself on you! 😉

P.S. 'Refugees' are one of my favourite subjects. (Literally). Actually, Oops (and others), I wonder if you might enjoy a book that I just finished reading (for University). You seem more inclined to being creative with words than I am (and perhaps might enjoy the literary techniques employed which were totally lost on me). The author's name is Behrouz Boochani, and the book is "No Friend But The Mountains". He is Kurdish/Iranian, and he wrote the book (via text/whatsapp believe it or not) while detained at Manus Island Detention Centre. It interested me because he now works at the University where I worked for 10 years after my first degree, (and now am back studying again. I think I'm institutionalised! 😅)

Anyway, I'll just pop this up here for anyone who is interested. I wouldn't call it the most 'pleasant' read, but I believe that sometimes we need to look at situations which are worse than our own, to truly know how blessed we are. 🤗
1621935378601.png

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you so much @Oops... That means a lot! ❤
I don't mind attempting to keep you lovely bunch of people 'on topic', and flick the odd pet cartoon up! 😅
To me, this wee thread is a tonic - it seems really peaceful. I haven't been contributing for long, but I have lurked for quite a while, and I feel that there are some really special individuals on here (and on the other thread too).
Thank you all for putting up with me - I feel that I just launched myself on you! 😉

P.S. 'Refugees' are one of my favourite subjects. (Literally). Actually, Oops (and others), I wonder if you might enjoy a book that I just finished reading (for University). You seem more inclined to being creative with words than I am (and perhaps might enjoy the literary techniques employed which were totally lost on me). The author's name is Behrouz Boochani, and the book is "No Friend But The Mountains". He is Kurdish/Iranian, and he wrote the book (via text/whatsapp believe it or not) while detained at Manus Island Detention Centre. It interested me because he now works at the University where I worked for 10 years after my first degree, (and now am back studying again. I think I'm institutionalised! 😅)

Anyway, I'll just pop this up here for anyone who is interested. I wouldn't call it the most 'pleasant' read, but I believe that sometimes we need to look at situations which are worse than our own, to truly know how blessed we are. 🤗
View attachment 589438
Thank you for the recommendation! I will look into it. Speaking of books, my genre of the last year has been domestic noir, suburban paranoia. Ha! However, my friend sent me these two books yesterday and I welcome the departure. He said that Shuggie Bain is the most moving book he has read in years. Imagine your debut novel winning the Booker. The other book, Intimacies, is a collection of short stories depicting what it means to be a woman today described as ‘enlightening and enriching the heart’.
168E0945-0CC7-4B2C-817C-CB1482293628.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I just wanted to share this poem, which means a lot to me. It’s much better read aloud though... by W S Merwin

When I think of the patience I have had
back in the dark before I remember
or knew it was night until the light came
all at once at the speed it was born to
with all the time in the world to fly through
not concerned about ever arriving
and then the gathering of the first stars
unhurried in their flowering spaces
and far into the story the planets
cooling slowly and the ages of rain
then the seas starting to bear memory
the gaze of the first cell at its waking
how did this haste begin this little time
at any time this reading by lightning
scarcely a word this nothing this heaven

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Sweet William

Hello there - I’m William - I’d win any prize
For my utterly beautiful puppy-dog eyes
Let them charm and disarm you - for I am aware
Of the powerful depth of my hypnotic stare
I’ve been told by so many in so many ways
Of the soulfulness held in my languorous gaze
Let everyone love me and everyone dote
And remark on the shine of my beautiful coat
I’m gloriously gorgeous - it’s been my proud duty
To galvanise all with my manifest beauty
And Tilly; my human, adores me I know it
And I adore her and she knows ‘cos I show it

My best pal is Gracie - she’s always in tow
She’s older and taught me most things that I know
And when we’re together we haven’t a care
We share Christmas hats and a fireside chair
She gives me support and she gives me a cheer
When I enter my red-zone and go chasing deer
My chasing is harmless and very well meant
But nothing can stop me when I get the scent
There’s really no point in you calling me back
’Cos I’m off like an arrow - a fur cracker-jack
I can cover two fields in a second or two
But I’ll always come home in the end back to you

I love to watch wild-life like squirrels and birds
And I love to watch people in ones or in herds
I love little babies they make me feel soppy
I get so excited my head goes all floppy
I love climbing ladders - now isn’t that clever?
It isn’t your usual canine endeavour
Tilly says I am skilful and cheeky and fun
And that’s all that matters when all’s said and done
At the end of the day when our home’s in a muddle
With my paws round her neck I give Tilly a cuddle
Tilly is mine and to me she’s so dear
I’m the happiest Spitz in the world when she’s near

Last edited:
  • Heart
Thank you for the recommendation! I will look into it. Speaking of books, my genre of the last year has been domestic noir, suburban paranoia. Ha! However, my friend sent me these two books yesterday and I welcome the departure. He said that Shuggie Bain is the most moving book he has read in years. Imagine your debut novel winning the Booker. The other book, Intimacies, is a collection of short stories depicting what it means to be a woman today described as ‘enlightening and enriching the heart’.
View attachment 589471
Thank you for this!
Firstly, I am in awe of you that you had a 'genre' for last year! Love that! Commitment to the task at hand. 😉 I'll upload a pic of my stack of unread books that I have been accumulating. It's a weird thing when you're studying - (or when I study at least), I tend to feel guilty if I'm doing anything that isn't related to the degree, or is 'fun'! Recently I have been spending more time in the garden, and acknowledging that a work/life balance (that everybody talks about) is actually important, and applies to myself too.

Secondly, I had to ask wikipedia about the genre's that you mentioned. I quite like crime novels, films, TV shows, Netflix series' - the lot (hardly surprising given my study), so I think I could give that a crack - not sure about suburban paranoia - I think that might scare me. 😅

Thirdly, I see that my local library has a copy of 'Shuggie Bain' (I'm so insular that I had never heard of it - but it looks like a good read, and I like your friends' summing up of it). First novel being a Booker Prize winner is pretty amazing alright. I was looking through the list of other prize winners etc, and it's amazing how there are publishing companies who can obviously spot a winner from a mile off. (It appealed to my analytical side).

I hate to mention she who should not be mentioned, but does Lydia read some of the Lucy Caldwell books? The name sounds familiar somehow.

Looks like we might have the makings of a book club here! (I've always wanted to be part of a book club - it's the veritable dream!) ❤

I certainly will do. I’m looking forward to reading it - I’m currently half way through a Sharon Bolton thriller and it’s quite scary - having trouble sleeping!
Well, I'm always here and awake when your fellow countrymen are asleep, just drop me a line. 😉 🤗
OR...mix it up a bit and chuck in a bit of lighthearted stuff: (Thoroughly recommend!!)
1621939915927.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Thank you for this!
Firstly, I am in awe of you that you had a 'genre' for last year! Love that! Commitment to the task at hand. 😉 I'll upload a pic of my stack of unread books that I have been accumulating. It's a weird thing when you're studying - (or when I study at least), I tend to feel guilty if I'm doing anything that isn't related to the degree, or is 'fun'! Recently I have been spending more time in the garden, and acknowledging that a work/life balance (that everybody talks about) is actually important, and applies to myself too.

Secondly, I had to ask wikipedia about the genre's that you mentioned. I quite like crime novels, films, TV shows, Netflix series' - the lot (hardly surprising given my study), so I think I could give that a crack - not sure about suburban paranoia - I think that might scare me. 😅

Thirdly, I see that my local library has a copy of 'Shuggie Bain' (I'm so insular that I had never heard of it - but it looks like a good read, and I like your friends' summing up of it). First novel being a Booker Prize winner is pretty amazing alright. I was looking through the list of other prize winners etc, and it's amazing how there are publishing companies who can obviously spot a winner from a mile off. (It appealed to my analytical side).

I hate to mention she who should not be mentioned, but does Lydia read some of the Lucy Caldwell books? The name sounds familiar somehow.

Looks like we might have the makings of a book club here! (I've always wanted to be part of a book club - it's the veritable dream!) ❤
Oh - I love these exchanges! Oh, dear - is she a fan of Lucy Caldwell? I’ve never come across her before my friend sent me this book - ha! My daughter is spending some time in the garden too - her carrots are coming along nicely and she’s enjoying it.

Love the poetry here - just to take time out to absorb the words. Lovely.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sweet William

Hello there - I’m William - I’d win any prize
For my utterly beautiful puppy-dog eyes
Let them charm and disarm you - for I am aware
Of the powerful depth of my hypnotic stare
I’ve been told by so many in so many ways
Of the soulfulness held in my languorous gaze
Let everyone love me and everyone dote
And remark on the shine of my beautiful coat
I’m gloriously gorgeous - it’s been my proud duty
To galvanise all with my manifest beauty
And Tilly; my human, adores me I know it
And I adore her and she knows ‘cos I show it

My best pal is Gracie - she’s always in tow
She’s older and taught me most things that I know
And when we’re together we haven’t a care
We share Christmas hats and a fireside chair
She gives me support and she gives me a cheer
When I enter my red-zone and go chasing deer
My chasing is harmless and very well meant
But nothing can stop me when I get the scent
There’s really no point in you calling me back
’Cos I’m off like an arrow - a fur cracker-jack
I can cover two fields in a second or two
But I’ll always come home in the end back to you

I love to watch wild-life like squirrels and birds
And I love to watch people in ones or in herds
I love little babies they make me feel soppy
I get so excited my head goes all floppy
I love climbing ladders - now isn’t that clever?
It isn’t your usual canine endeavour
Tilly says I am skilful and cheeky and fun
And that’s all that matters when all’s said and done
At the end of the day when our home’s in a muddle
With my paws round her neck I give Tilly a cuddle
Tilly is mine and to me she’s so dear
I’m the happiest Spitz in the world when she’s near
I absolutely adore this. Even more special as my beloved Grandad's name was William, and I had an angora goat named Tilly (who was an absolute treasure!)

One thing that I was thinking while reading this piece, and the MS Merwin from @Geranium , is how much I appreciate the rhythm! (That might sound weird). To provide some context, I'm a musician.

I might actually become cultured, hanging out with you people! (Then I might re-read the Boochani, and 'get' all of the nuances that went over my head!!) 🤗

• Heart
I absolutely adore this. Even more special as my beloved Grandad's name was William, and I had an angora goat named Tilly (who was an absolute treasure!)

One thing that I was thinking while reading this piece, and the MS Merwin from @Geranium , is how much I appreciate the rhythm! (That might sound weird). To provide some context, I'm a musician.

I might actually become cultured, hanging out with you people! (Then I might re-read the Boochani, and 'get' all of the nuances that went over my head!!) 🤗
My dad’s name was William and he’s my hero yesterday, today and tomorrow ❤

• Heart

I love writing poetry (especially about dogs and cats). I try to write at least one poem every day; it’s a habit I got into when Covid struck and I was incarcerated. My goal this year is to try and find a publisher who likes poetry about Fur Babies. I’ve written all my life and never done anything with it. It all ends up in a drawer...I have written a musical about Jane Austen, another about Dogs and another one last Christmas with 104 pets of a forum I used to belong to. That was part musical part poetry/story. If I didn’t have to work I would happily write all day...It’s so lovely to just float off and let it pour down my arm. :m

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I love writing poetry (especially about dogs and cats). I try to write at least one poem every day; it’s a habit I got into when Covid struck and I was incarcerated. My goal this year is to try and find a publisher who likes poetry Fur Babies. I’ve written all my life and never done anything with it. It all ends up in a drawer...I have written a musical about Jane Austen, another about Dogs and another one last Christmas with 104 pets of a forum I used to belong to. That was part musical part poetry/story. If I didn’t have to work I would happily write all day...It’s so lovely to just float off and let it pour down my arm. :m
You should easily find a publisher - you are so talented. I often thought, during Fur Babies how valuable your script would be to PK and Primary School teachers in performing excepts for stage with the little ones taking on the various roles.

Another role I thought of for you - in my imagination - was what a wonderful scriptwriter you would be. I was imagining you picking up Baftas for best original screenplay for a movie on the life of Louis Vuitton - what an inspiration. Leaving home at 13 and literally getting to Paris on foot - the wicked stepmom he was escaping from and his internship and later success. You would write it beautifully.

See how much I think about you?! I can’t wait to buy all your books. ❤

• Heart
I love writing poetry (especially about dogs and cats). I try to write at least one poem every day; it’s a habit I got into when Covid struck and I was incarcerated. My goal this year is to try and find a publisher who likes poetry Fur Babies. I’ve written all my life and never done anything with it. It all ends up in a drawer...I have written a musical about Jane Austen, another about Dogs and another one last Christmas with 104 pets of a forum I used to belong to. That was part musical part poetry/story. If I didn’t have to work I would happily write all day...It’s so lovely to just float off and let it pour down my arm. :m
I think that sounds like a wonderful goal! You are delightful and talented, I can tell. 🤗

We only went into lockdown for 4 weeks in New Zealand, so I can't quite appreciate how incarcerated you must have felt. Having said that, for those glorious weeks (which I adored - uh...apart from sitting exams with hubby and kids at home), I made sure to take the aforementioned hubby and kids for walkies on the farm. It was so good! So blessed to have the space, and we were treated with the most gorgeous autumnal weather. (Here's a pic from one of our walks below).
1621943143738.png

I used to do the odd bit of singer/songwriting stuff, but I always struggled with the 'lyrics' part. If I could write (which I can't), I would very much like a shed just like Monty Don's, where I would exile myself, (away from distracting things and people), and console myself with the tip-tapping sounds of an old typewriter.

1621943303527.png

• Heart
My closest friend lives in Christchurch (she used to live here and I miss her so much). I sensed you may be from NZ. I’ll write the lyrics to your music ;)

• Heart
Oh - I love these exchanges! Oh, dear - is she a fan of Lucy Caldwell? I’ve never come across her before my friend sent me this book - ha! My daughter is spending some time in the garden too - her carrots are coming along nicely and she’s enjoying it.

Love the poetry here - just to take time out to absorb the words. Lovely.
Don't quote me on the Lucy Caldwell fan - never fear! I look forward to hearing your review! (Our library doesn't have a copy - but you never know, they might get it in at some point - we are really quite "in the sticks" way over here in NZ).

My eldest daughter (Miss 19) has decided to take a 'gap' year, and work, instead of continuing her study, having completed High School last year. She's found a few part-time jobs, one of which is gardening, and she's absolutely loving it! I have to say that it is a great joy for me to see her get such pleasure from something that I love so much also. (My mum has a 3 acre garden, so I suppose it's a family thing now). 🤭🌿🌺

I tried my hand at spring onions and tomatoes this past summer. Turns out that they really benefit from being watered. Maybe next time. 😅🥕 I shall plant some carrot seeds one day and think of you and your lovely daughter. 🤗

In the meantime - here are some flowers from me to you.

1621944288956.png

• Heart
Thank you for this!

Well, I'm always here and awake when your fellow countrymen are asleep, just drop me a line. 😉 🤗
OR...mix it up a bit and chuck in a bit of lighthearted stuff: (Thoroughly recommend!!)
View attachment 589537
I love that book - such a fun read.

• Haha
  • Heart
My closest friend lives in Christchurch (she used to live here and I miss her so much). I sensed you may be from NZ. I’ll write the lyrics to your music ;)
OOOHHHHH I wonder if I know her!? I was born in Christchurch, and travel in and out of there most days. You should definitely come to NZ for a tiki tour once we are over this little worldwide 'issue'.

Of course, most of my friends trotted over to the UK after finishing University. (Many of whom ended up in law firms).

Finally...I have a lyricist!! :m

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.