Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

mummy2under2

VIP Member
Thankyou, I'm worried we're tied in somehow, but I'm definitely seeking advice on the matter. It's unethical if they're making us pay off other pols debt! Because they can't find them!! Not sure it pays to be honest.
Also, to note...when I bought my current property the previous owners had huge debts with British Gas too. When I handed over the meter reading on my move in day, they also wanted the details of their new address which we didn’t have. So they accepted our purchase details and some paperwork from the sale.
If they can/can’t confirm that you are paying the prev tenants debt (in error, they’ll probably say) make sure you have your tenancy agreement or contract just to prove your move in date should they ask for it. They only provided a small timescale for us to provide it to them so just from experience is maybe dig it out and have it to hand in case they request it.

Reactions: 1

Mrswhale

20 a week electric 15 a week gas on meters. We dont use the heating that much to be honest we have big chunky blankets and throws each we use on sofa etc. 3 bed terrace house, washer on twice daily/ 3 kids all with tablets/phones/ps4 or whatever charging. I'd definitely be questioning your bill's those sound outrageously high. Hope you get it sorted quickly sounds like it's the last thing you need at the minute. xx

• Heart

Juliet

Chatty Member
Hope you’re ok now. ❤
Both mine are metered so I’m not sure how the billing system works? Do they send a bill weekly and you just haven’t been checking if you’re paying the right amount?

Pinchme

VIP Member
Thankyou, my hubbie is named on the bill so I can't ring myself. But he can after work. We don't have a large income. It's knocking my MH right back as well.x

Wow, so it's not just me? It's ridiculous. Why aren't these companies monitored and prices capped? Maybe I'm being stupid? My gas/electric bills are higher than my mortgage since moving.

I tried switching they blocked it. I'm. Going to do my damnedest to pay it and try again! Eon seem to be much better.
I've been with EON for years, I always check on comparison sites and they are always cheaper, give or take a few pounds, never enough to warrant changing. Their customer service is based in the UK so can always talk to someone.

Let us know how you get on,

• Heart

Jc456

VIP Member
Thankyou, I'm worried we're tied in somehow, but I'm definitely seeking advice on the matter. It's unethical if they're making us pay off other pols debt! Because they can't find them!! Not sure it pays to be honest.
Definitely check your not paying someone else's debt. Have a look and see if and what you could save. It may be worth paying the £30-60 exit fees if you'll save a few £100.
Not sure if you can ask for your meter to be checked to see if it's running correctly? Worth asking though.

• Heart

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
We pay around £200-£300 a month for each but we have quite a large house and are running a pool filter/heater. We are with British Gas and have had no issues but I have heard some horror stories.

The only thing I would say is where possible do everything in writing and if trying to pay back a certain amount each month is too much let them know. As long as you make an offer (and keep up with that offer) they shouldn’t be able to hound you

ExhaustedDad

That is extortionate. I live in a quite a small 2 bed house, I pay 80/100 a month on electric and 120/140 a month gas.
you‘re getting ripped off big time 😳 we pay £135 a month for gas and electricity combined with N-Power. 4 bed semi

We pay around £200-£300 a month for each but we have quite a large house and are running a pool filter/heater. We are with British Gas and have had no issues but I have heard some horror stories.

The only thing I would say is where possible do everything in writing and if trying to pay back a certain amount each month is too much let them know. As long as you make an offer (and keep up with that offer) they shouldn’t be able to hound you
something is not right there. Send your meter readings to your supplier ASAP. USwitch is really good, we review ours every year without fail as have been stung in the past

F the dust.

VIP Member
Also, to note...when I bought my current property the previous owners had huge debts with British Gas too. When I handed over the meter reading on my move in day, they also wanted the details of their new address which we didn’t have. So they accepted our purchase details and some paperwork from the sale.
If they can/can’t confirm that you are paying the prev tenants debt (in error, they’ll probably say) make sure you have your tenancy agreement or contract just to prove your move in date should they ask for it. They only provided a small timescale for us to provide it to them so just from experience is maybe dig it out and have it to hand in case they request it.
Ah, we've been here 15 months now. It's annoying that we've to provide them with there previous occupants new address. Like you we didn't have it. This is twice it's happened now. If we move again, I will be requesting proof or a clause that this won't happen again! That the current owners will pay their bills off. We always have. I'm honest and couldn't sleep worrying we'd get into trouble.

Grenouille

This is an extortionate amount to pay. I am ready to bet they’re billing you for the previous tenant’s debt, which might explain why they refuse to let you leave (they’d consider your account as in debt too).
You definitely need access to your previous bills. And if there is anything untoward, I’d try Citizens’ Advice.

• Heart

JulieScoobyDoo

VIP Member
I am so sorry you have had a tough time previously, and burying your head when these sorts of things happens is incredibly common so please dont beat yourself up about it.

Do you have a Citizen's Advice Bureau nearby? They would be able to help you with this, and would help you draft letters to British Gas.

You dont have to provide them with the previous owner's new address, you just have to provide proof of the day you moved in, so either a tenancy agreement or your confirmation from solicitor of the day you bought it. Do you have a meter reading by any chance?

If you can find the meters and see how much you are using as it sounds like you are using way more than you should be for a property of that size.

Do talk to CAB if you can, they are there to help and will do all they can to get you straight.

• Heart

F the dust.

VIP Member
So you were still paying the money owed from the previous owners but thought you were paying your own? Then because you weren’t paying your own it has mounted up?
We were paperless and recieved payment cards. We were paying what we thought was enough. £80-100 per month. We never received a statement by letter and just assumed we were ok. Not being in the right frame of mind hasn't helped. We buried our head a little. Eventually we bit the bullet and figured out how to get online to look. We were in over £1000 of arrears. My parent's paid £800 off leaving £600 owed. Obviously we are trying to clear that but each month using more. Our bills are £400 each gas/electric quarterly. So we can't seem to get clear. That seems high?

British gas are the most expensive , and they're uselss.
I'm in a 2 bedroom flat (ground floor so it's always cold) im with British gas and I pay around £100 per month , a little more in winter , a little Less in summer .
Are you giving them meter readings ? Are they definitely accurate ? Or are they sending someone to read your meters ?
My gas meter is outside , and they were supposed to be sending someone out to read it along with the electrical one - for some reason the bloke read the electric meter but left the gas out ..... For a full 12 months I'd been recieving "estimated" bills !
We sent them our meter readings when we moved in and in November gone. When we paid our final bills I hoped to be rid. When we moved here we tried to switch provider as they were providing here too. British gas blocked it. I was in no state of mind to contest it. But now I mad. We owed them nothing at that point. The previous owner did. I just hope weren't paying his bill too. Hubbie says no mention of the previous debt owed on our bills. But it might be more subtle or sneaky? I don't know. Just bogging me down x

Last edited:

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Thankyou everyone. We always seem to cop it. In our last property the previous tenants as it was rented out left over a grand debt. They flitted and I doubt they found them. I still believe somehow we inherit this debt. I always have paid our final bills. I can't believe we aren't paying less in a smaller house. Less rooms and smaller by far.

What kind of heating have you got?
Do you have the heating on a lot?
Do you use the oven/tumble dryer a lot?
Do you run hot water for baths or showers a lot?

Try turning the heaters on each room off unless desperately needed - we don’t have any of the bathroom heaters on in our house and rarely have the kitchen one on. We don’t have a tumble dryer and don’t have baths very often.

mummy2under2

VIP Member
You need to phone them and tell them you’re going to seek advice from a legal team to take a look into your bills as you’re certain they have charged you far too much and potentially have previous tenants debt.
Ask for paper statements for every month since you’ve been there and any previous statements (6m worth) from your previous property.

Also, tell them your position and that you have an autistic child. I’m not sure if you claim DLA for the child but they have a duty of care towards you and your child so they can look into your payment methods and sometimes award a discount or credit to your account.

I live in a 6 bed detached, family of 4 and I pay £210/month combined.

• Heart

carebear123

we live in a 4 bed detached house theres 4 of us we pay £50 gas a month and £51 electric a month I'm home most days so have heating on when I feel cold and heating is set for a morning before kids get up and a few hours at night for bath time and bed.
we have a gas cooker electric oven,kids have phone chargers and TVs on and xbox.
we are with British gas I send readings for gas every month and electric meter is a smart meter.
in summer it's cheaper as we are out more and dont need the heating on.
definitely something not right hope you get to bottom of it x

It’s dead tricky to deal with suppliers sometimes. But fingers crossed for you. It’s about £80 isn’t it for both fuels. If you don’t get anywhere raise an official complaint and you can take it to the ombudsman if not resolved within 8 weeks.

It’s dead tricky to deal with suppliers sometimes. But fingers crossed for you. It’s about £80 isn’t it for both fuels. If you don’t get anywhere raise an official complaint and you can take it to the ombudsman if not resolved within 8 weeks.
Hopefully eon will be really good and I’ll stay with them for the foreseeable because this has painful. I can’t face changing supplier next December!
So far all I can see on my account is a “miscellaneous document” for £30 and a “not invoiced” amount for £30. I’m guessing one is for gas and one for electric, so £60 in fees 😣 I suppose this is a learning curve but if I end up having to pay the fees, I won’t even have ended up saving much by changing supplier!! 😤🙄 I mean, it’s only an extra £5 a month in the grand scheme of things, but still!

Yel

Chatty Member
Off topic but I'm owed about £250 by an energy company from overcharging.

I switched as they were so incompetent, gave them the meter reading that they lost and they say I owe them £80, they've sold on this debt even though my account was in dispute and I keep being chased for this £80 and being told I'll be charged loads more when they go through the courts. I've given up ever trying to explain anymore and ignore the letters. It's bad enough I'm owed around 250 let alone this chasing that they say I owe them money! Never should have privatised it IMO.

RachyWoo

VIP Member
That's daylight robbery!!! It sounds to me like you're paying the debt. Definitely phone them up and query it cos that isn't right at all. We live in a two bed semi detached and we only pay £77 a month direct debit (£40 electric and £37 gas) and we're with British gas for both electric and gas.

Jc456

VIP Member
I've just moved and have had a gas bill for £120 14/10/19 to 24/11/19. I didn't move in until 6th Nov (got keys 14th). I have downsized into a new build so thought it would be a lot cheaper to heat. Previously bills were £70 for gas and electric!!

• Sad