Unexpected period advice.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi ladies,
Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I've had the mirena coil for 3 years and haven't had a period since (it's been a dream), came home from work today and all of a sudden just felt completely wiped out so ended up having a 30 minute nap, got up went to the loo and when wiping, it seems I'm having a period, and not just spotting, an actual period. Has anyone had this happen on the mirena coil after a few years? I had a normal smear a few weeks ago.

Is it because it’s starting to wear off or do they last longer than three years now?

I would also take a pregnancy test too.

Is it because it’s starting to wear off or do they last longer than three years now?

I would also take a pregnancy test too.
Mine is supposed to last 5 years.
I haven't been sexually active since September and had a smear since then and I use protection so don't feel the need for a pregnancy test, just strange how the fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks today then all of a sudden I had a bleed. Will see how things go over the next few days, thank you for your response. The joys of being a woman hey!

They do last for 5 years but towards the end the hormones lessen (not sure the scientific term!) so its quite common to start bleeding/getting periods back. I’ve had 2 mirena now and after about 3 years I started getting light bleeding every 2 months in a regular pattern!

If it’s quite heavy or you‘re worried though, definitely chat to the Dr!