Trochanteric bursitis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ive been suffering with trochanteric bursitis since xmas eve. Rest and naproxen not really doing much. Getting me down. Any advice would be welcome. Bad at night.

Reactions: 1
Not yet as im waiting for the pain to settle even though its been over 3 weeks. Not sure if thats the right thing to do to wait tbh
What did your GP say? Personally, I would make an appointment. There's tonnes of advice online re exercises but from experience (not specifically this issue) I only made my problem worse. Turns out my issue was caused by something else and I was targeting the wrong area. It's worth seeing the physio because they can advise on how best to do your daily activities for now.

Have you been icing the area? I know some people are given steroids, but I doubt a GP will want to.

What did your GP say? Personally, I would make an appointment. There's tonnes of advice online re exercises but from experience (not specifically this issue) I only made my problem worse. Turns out my issue was caused by something else and I was targeting the wrong area. It's worth seeing the physio because they can advise on how best to do your daily activities for now.

Have you been icing the area? I know some people are given steroids, but I doubt a GP will want to.
Gp said book physio...ive avoided online exercises. GP said try anti inflammatories first before injections. Think will book physio today. Did yours get better? Im scared this will trouble me forever

Gp said book physio...ive avoided online exercises. GP said try anti inflammatories first before injections. Think will book physio today. Did yours get better? Im scared this will trouble me forever
Mine turned out to be an issue with a tendon. Stretching and strengthening exercises fixed it. It took a few months. Don't freak out, things can improve! 🤗

• Heart
I suffered with this about eleven years ago. It was awful so you have all my sympathy.

I was referred by my GP to physiotherapy, and to hospital for steroid injections.

The NHS physio was no use at all. Gave me a sheet of paper with exercises on it and sent me on my way. I found it so painful and dispiriting trying to do them.

The steroid injections did give some temporary relief as I recall, but obviously were not a cure.

I ended up having a few sessions with a private sports physio where instead of me having to attempt painful exercises on my own, I lay on massage table and they pummelled the life out of me. Way more preferable, and actually worked!

Eleven or twelve years on now and I have no problems so please don’t worry that you will be plagued for life.

Before it got better, I found sleeping on the opposite hip, with a pillow between my legs really eased the pain when lying down.

I suffered with this about eleven years ago. It was awful so you have all my sympathy.

I was referred by my GP to physiotherapy, and to hospital for steroid injections.

The NHS physio was no use at all. Gave me a sheet of paper with exercises on it and sent me on my way. I found it so painful and dispiriting trying to do them.

The steroid injections did give some temporary relief as I recall, but obviously were not a cure.

I ended up having a few sessions with a private sports physio where instead of me having to attempt painful exercises on my own, I lay on massage table and they pummelled the life out of me. Way more preferable, and actually worked!

Eleven or twelve years on now and I have no problems so please don’t worry that you will be plagued for life.

Before it got better, I found sleeping on the opposite hip, with a pillow between my legs really eased the pain when lying down.
Thank you so much to you and the others!!

I have booked NHS physio...but i just have a feeling it will be usual crap...but willing to give a go. Also booked osteopath appointment.

I also changed my mattress approx 4 weeks before this from old memory foam to a slightly firmer one and im convinced this was the cause as it is the side i sleep. So now im getting a memory foam one delivered tomorrow.

I cant exercise so hate the thought of getting fat too :(

So, thats interesting a pummelling helped. I would have thought that would aggravate it.

I remember being a little apprehensive at first. And don’t get me wrong, it did hurt. The physio used to laugh at me because I moaned so loudly. She said she’d never had such a screamer before. 😄

But it began to hurt in a good way, if that makes sense. And afterwards I felt like I’d had a workout. She really did have fingers of steel. Lol.

I think the pummelling broke the bursitis down. That’s what I remember anyway, but it was a long time ago.

Good luck with the physio and the osteopath. Wishing you a speedy recovery. It’s a bloody awful thing.

I remember being a little apprehensive at first. And don’t get me wrong, it did hurt. The physio used to laugh at me because I moaned so loudly. She said she’d never had such a screamer before. 😄

But it began to hurt in a good way, if that makes sense. And afterwards I felt like I’d had a workout. She really did have fingers of steel. Lol.

I think the pummelling broke the bursitis down. That’s what I remember anyway, but it was a long time ago.

Good luck with the physio and the osteopath. Wishing you a speedy recovery. It’s a bloody awful thing.
Thank you so much

Can i ask how many massages it took?

Can i ask how many massages it took?

I think it was six sessions. No more than that. I’m not 100% sure as it was so long ago, but I know it wasn’t very many.

It definitely didn’t take long. I remember the sharp contrast of the difference that it made so quickly, versus that rubbish sheet of exercises that I’d been given by the physio at the hospital.

Like you, I’d worried that it was a pain that would never go away, so it was such a joy and massive relief to have it treated successfully at last.

I think it was six sessions. No more than that. I’m not 100% sure as it was so long ago, but I know it wasn’t very many.

It definitely didn’t take long. I remember the sharp contrast of the difference that it made so quickly, versus that rubbish sheet of exercises that I’d been given by the physio at the hospital.

Like you, I’d worried that it was a pain that would never go away, so it was such a joy and massive relief to have it treated successfully at last.
You have given me so much hope!!! Last night was so bad. Pillow between knees and naproxen didnt help at all. Now its ok. Strange how night time is so much worse.

Oh poor you. Such a shame.

I remember actually crying to my husband how depressing it was that the one place you were supposed to be most comfortable and relaxed ie bed, was actually the most painful place to be.

I really feel for you. But please take some comfort in the knowledge that it doesn’t have to be forever.

On a side note, naproxen never worked for me. It had to be cocodamol. And I was also prescribed amytriptalyn to help me sleep at night. That was a godsend. I didn’t take that every night though as I found that I tended to develop a tolerance for it, so I saved it for the worst times.

• Heart
Oh poor you. Such a shame.

I remember actually crying to my husband how depressing it was that the one place you were supposed to be most comfortable and relaxed ie bed, was actually the most painful place to be.

I really feel for you. But please take some comfort in the knowledge that it doesn’t have to be forever.

On a side note, naproxen never worked for me. It had to be cocodamol. And I was also prescribed amytriptalyn to help me sleep at night. That was a godsend. I didn’t take that every night though as I found that I tended to develop a tolerance for it, so I saved it for the worst times.
Hello,just an update...so i booked a deep tissue massage last wednesday and its been so much better since. Pain just at night but still not so bad.

Im putting it down to time,its been 4 weeks and antiinflammatories but i really think the massage helped me turn a corner. Im so grateful to you. Im going to book a few more too.

• Heart
That’s great. I’m so glad to hear it.

Happy to have been of some small help. ❤