Travel

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With Covid, it is hard due to not having much to look forward to. I have decided to do some planning for when things are more "normal" again and we can travel. I thought I would start this thread so we can share our favourite places to visit, where to stay, what to do, etc. I was inspired by the NYC thread.

My favourite place is to visit is San Diego.

Where to stay: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown/Bayside. We have stayed here a few times and enjoy it - a nice clean hotel and within walking distance to the Marina and Little Italy. Would probably stay in another area next time to change things up.

To do:
Balboa Park - really gorgeous gardens and can spend hours here, there is so much to see. As well as the gardens, there are lots of museums. The Air and Space and Automotive are both good.
San Diego Zoo - probably the best zoo I have ever been to. It is huge so I recommend doing the bus tour first, to figure what areas you want to see. Chances are you won't see it all in one day, so they offer different passes.
Embarcadero - a lovely place to walk down by the water and see all the ships, including the USS Midway. Also the Seaport Village is really nice to wander around at night, you can see Coronado Bridge from it and sunsets are nice.
Old Town - where the first Spanish settlement was in the West Coast. Really good Mexican food - go to the restaurants with the ladies making fresh corn torillas in the restaurants, cigar stores and other bits.
Sunset Cliffs - check out the Cabrillo National monument and the Cabrillo tide pools (check out the guides to see what time is best).
Liberty Public Market - nice to wander around and good food.

To out, outside of San Diego but close by.
Coronado - drive over the bridge to Coronado, sit on the beach by Hotel Del Coronado (Marilyn Monroe was a guest) with a cocktail and watch all the navy planes fly over - there are so many! Then go to Mootime Creamery and grab an ice cream - they are amazing. I had strawberry with Graham cracker pieces folded in.
La Jolla - Grab breakfast at Brockton Villa, then head down to La Jolla Cove beach, you might see some sea lions. There are a few beaches to see and some also have tidepools.
Carlsbad - a really lovely town. Check out the Flower Fields. They are only open from the first week of March to the first week of May. Carlsbad Premium Outlet is also really good for shopping.

Food in San Diego
Farmer's Table
Cafe Coyote
Old Town Mexican Cafe
King and Queen Cantina
Herb and Eatery / Herb and Wood
Extraordinary Desserts
Cafe 222

If you happen to drive up to LA which we did (although did not like the city), check out El Cholo, one of the oldest Mexican restaurants there.

Any questions let me know! Can't wait to see what you share :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi, I know this thread is completely dormant but I hoped maybe if I resurrected it someone might have some good advice for me please! Have just gone through a breakup and travel plans for 2023 with my ex now obviously cancelled.

I’d Like to go to Asia and would ideally do some sort of group tour, does anyone have any experience of the following and could provide any thoughts please? I’m mid 30s, fit and active but I do love agood Night out (or five) on my holidays…
- intrepid travel
- g adventures
- culture trip tours
- flashpack

thanks very much for any thoughts you might have

Hi, I know this thread is completely dormant but I hoped maybe if I resurrected it someone might have some good advice for me please! Have just gone through a breakup and travel plans for 2023 with my ex now obviously cancelled.

I’d Like to go to Asia and would ideally do some sort of group tour, does anyone have any experience of the following and could provide any thoughts please? I’m mid 30s, fit and active but I do love agood Night out (or five) on my holidays…
- intrepid travel
- g adventures
- culture trip tours
- flashpack

thanks very much for any thoughts you might have
Hiya! How exciting! Have you travelled much before? SE Asia is super easy to get around and if you stay in hostels it’s really easy to meet people and book day tours! I prefer that to doing a traditional long tour as I’m scared I’d be stuck too long with people I don’t like. I took a sabbatical on my own when I was about 25 and have visited SE Asia a lot since with my partner.

Do you know what countries you’d be looking at going to?

If you love a night out then you should consider timing Thailand when it’s the full moon party! ❤

Reactions: 1
Hiya! How exciting! Have you travelled much before? SE Asia is super easy to get around and if you stay in hostels it’s really easy to meet people and book day tours! I prefer that to doing a traditional long tour as I’m scared I’d be stuck too long with people I don’t like. I took a sabbatical on my own when I was about 25 and have visited SE Asia a lot since with my partner.

Do you know what countries you’d be looking at going to?

If you love a night out then you should consider timing Thailand when it’s the full moon party! ❤
thank you for your reply, I’ve actually booked an intrepid tour so I’m hoping it’ll be good! My theory is I can always duck off it if I don’t get on with people and just use it for accommodation and transfers, I’ve paid the extra supplement for my own room and I’m doing a 10 day tour out of a 18 day trip so will have some time at the end.

I’ve travelled a lot on my own, backpacked around the world solo for 18 months at 21 and spent a month in Japan last year but I‘m going to Korea which I know so little about and don’t really have the time to research and plan an itinerary. Fingers crossed it’ll be ok!
P.s - know what you mean about the full moon party, I went in 2011 and think I’m still getting over the hangover!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
thank you for your reply, I’ve actually booked an intrepid tour so I’m hoping it’ll be good! My theory is I can always duck off it if I don’t get on with people and just use it for accommodation and transfers, I’ve paid the extra supplement for my own room and I’m doing a 10 day tour out of a 18 day trip so will have some time at the end.

I’ve travelled a lot on my own, backpacked around the world solo for 18 months at 21 and spent a month in Japan last year but I‘m going to Korea which I know so little about and don’t really have the time to research and plan an itinerary. Fingers crossed it’ll be ok!
P.s - know what you mean about the full moon party, I went in 2011 and think I’m still getting over the hangover!
Oh Korea sounds like it will be amazing!! You’ll have to share any recommendations afterwards, I’ve never been but I just know I love the food! 🤣

You sound like you definitely know what you’re doing and free time at the end of the tour is a good shout! You’ll have to let us know how you get on!

We’ve got a 14 month old and went around some Greek islands last year, just booking ferries and accommodation last minute and it was such a lovely trip. We’re on a budget this year of <£3k for an 2 week holiday and we don’t know whether to book fights to somewhere in Asia that’s child friendly like Thailand, where eating and accommodation costs will be cheaper and risk a long haul flight with him, or explore somewhere else in Europe. So basically any European destination ideas from anyone would be really helpful. We love exploring and just being in a change of culture preferably somewhere sunnier than here, we’re happy to jump on a train/switch up locations mid trip for a mix of city/mountains/beach with activities or something a toddler might enjoy. 🤔