Traumatised from working in customer service

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OK, admittedly trauma is a bit of hyperbole, but every job I've ever had has had some level of dealing with the general public. Since a career break a few years ago I've really struggled coming back into public facing roles. I now have this anxiety every time phone rings or I need to see someone. And I don't know why or when this happened. And trying to find a job without customer contact I'd really difficult

Probably sounds silly but, is it just me?

Reactions: 8
No, it's not just you.

Admittedly my MH issues and undiagnosed-at-the-time ASD didn't help, but all my jobs that involved customer service in any way ended with my dismissal on medical grounds. I start off ok but I just can't deal with people, I'm always waiting for the hole that's going to shout at me or something. I left retail for office jobs but then, like you, was dreading the phone ringing or having to deal with other departments where I didn't know anyone.

People* keep suggesting jobs for me to do at home but they all involve customers/clients of some sort and it would stress me out just as much.

* relatives who haven't worked in 40 years

• Heart
Reactions: 6
No, it's not just you.

Admittedly my MH issues and undiagnosed-at-the-time ASD didn't help, but all my jobs that involved customer service in any way ended with my dismissal on medical grounds. I start off ok but I just can't deal with people, I'm always waiting for the hole that's going to shout at me or something. I left retail for office jobs but then, like you, was dreading the phone ringing or having to deal with other departments where I didn't know anyone.

People* keep suggesting jobs for me to do at home but they all involve customers/clients of some sort and it would stress me out just as much.

* relatives who haven't worked in 40 years

Yeah a wfh or hybrid job would be ideal but so many are customer service.

It's definitely got worse in the last 5 years or so. I just reached a point where enough it enough

Reactions: 3
Yeah I had this, absolutely hated retail but felt stuck because I couldn't get out it, when I was threatened with having my throat slit an they trashed the shop I knew then I was officially done with retail, I was off sick for a few years but have now went back into a private office type job an the difference it's made is unreal, although it's still customer facing I feel it's a different environment because it's not customers that's just coming in to wander about a store an maybe buy or return something, it's people who are coming for a specific thing so there's never any bother

I know it can be hard getting back into a customer facing job but have a look at different types, everywhere has different types of customers an somewhere like a spa is going to be totally different from a shop, an in time you do start to heal a little

OK, admittedly trauma is a bit of hyperbole, but every job I've ever had has had some level of dealing with the general public. Since a career break a few years ago I've really struggled coming back into public facing roles. I now have this anxiety every time phone rings or I need to see someone. And I don't know why or when this happened. And trying to find a job without customer contact I'd really difficult

Definitely not just you

Nope not just you. The level of abuse & violence I faced from working in retail left me a shell for about 2 years. It does get better I promise but even now there’s moments when I’m hyper aware in shops if I think customers are getting angry. People are arseholes.

I ended up hating it. I don't use that word lightly.
Everyone in here has my respect/sympathy.

deffo not just you! March 2020 is when thing changed for me, I can pin point it, I worked for a concession within a supermarket then, their staff were thin on the ground all the time, the couple of weeks before Lockdown were horrendous, the area I worked in was close to where you would look to pick up soaps, bleach etc despite there being 0 left on the shelves and apology note's stating this, I had customer's come right up to my face, complaining and shouting about it, it was an extremely scary time and I remember the Thursday before Lockdown I walked out the door and didn't go back,

• Sad