Tootch extraction

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone had their tooth extracted? I cracked my tooth and the dentist has recommended it to be extracted.

I'm so nervous. Has anyone experienced this?

How long yo recover? Did you have to have time off work?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Has anyone had their tooth extracted? I cracked my tooth and the dentist has recommended it to be extracted.

I'm so nervous. Has anyone experienced this?

How long yo recover? Did you have to have time off work?
Yes I’ve had it done. It’s a really simple procedure. No you don’t need any time off work!!!! They give you a local anaesthetic, they take the tooth out (takes less than 5mins) then they pack a bit of gauze in the hole to stop it bleeding. That’s it. The anaesthetic wears off after an hour or so. You have wash your mouth out each night with warm salty water to keep the wound clean. It heals over the course of a few weeks. Easy. Simple.

Reactions: 4
Thank you that's easier my my mind a little. Did you rest after the procedure?
I rested for the rest of the day after having mine taken out and took it a bit easier for a few days whilst it started healing. I found the healing process made me a little tired but nothing unbearable. :)

Reactions: 1
Thank you that's easier my my mind a little. Did you rest after the procedure?
Not in my experience. It’s really not a big deal. It’s not a major thing. It’s a quick easy painless procedure that takes a few minutes and it’s done. You can go about your day as normal afterwards.

I've had one wisdom tooth removed and do need the other one taken out at some point as it is impacted, but it's not causing any problems or pain. I've put it off for a while (a few years) as mentally I feel like I need to be in the right headspace before I get it done.

Being honest it took 10 days for the pain for go away for me. This will obviously vary for you depending on which tooth is being removed.

They did give me antibiotics and ibuprofen before I left. That side of my face was numb afterwards for a good few hours which did help so I could still go to classes.

A good dentist will make sure you are comfortable first before starting. Sedation could also be an option for some patients if you're struggling with anxiety.

Not in my experience. It’s really not a big deal. It’s not a major thing. It’s a quick easy painless procedure that takes a few minutes and it’s done. You can go about your day as normal afterwards.
Yeah, it was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined. It's a lot less faffing about than a filling is tbh.

You might hear some creaking while they wiggle it out. If you have some ear pods then put them in and play your favourite music to relax you. I did that and didn’t care if the dentist thought it odd, at least he got the job done without me freaking out!

in reality though the procedure is simple and quick and so is recovery. Just take some pain that day afterwards. If it’s a tooth in your bottom jaw then be careful no food gets caught in the wound afterwards, if it’s in the upper jaw then gravity helps the wound heal.

Good luck x

ETA I’ve got to go in November and have a cracked tooth they didn’t fix before lockdown, I wonder what they will do with mine, it’s cracked vertically and I’m eating on the opposite side of my mouth because now and again it moves when I bite down and it gives me the heebie jeebies.

You might hear some creaking while they wiggle it out. If you have some ear pods then put them in and play your favourite music to relax you. I did that and didn’t care if the dentist thought it odd, at least he got the job done without me freaking out!

in reality though the procedure is simple and quick and so is recovery. Just take some pain that day afterwards. If it’s a tooth in your bottom jaw then be careful no food gets caught in the wound afterwards, if it’s in the upper jaw then gravity helps the wound heal.

Good luck x

ETA I’ve got to go in November and have a cracked tooth they didn’t fix before lockdown, I wonder what they will do with mine, it’s cracked vertically and I’m eating on the opposite side of my mouth because now and again it moves when I bite down and it gives me the heebie jeebies.
Mines cracked on the bottom right at the back and I've been eating on opposite side too. The pain is giving me earache

I had numerous teeth extracted prior to getting braces as a teen. I was really nervous so closed my eyes and listened to music on my iPod during the procedure. It helped to keep me calm and I didn't hear any of the associated noises!

I wouldn't say it hurts but the pulling and tugging is really unpleasant. Have pain ready for when the anaesthetic wears off later.

I took the day off work but that’s because I was terrified!

Overall it only took about 30 seconds. I took my earphones in with me and blasted some music as I didn’t want to hear anything! It was all over by the time the song had actually started and they were tapping me on the shoulder. Back to normal by the evening.