To get hair extensions or not

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have quite fine (but not thin) hair. I hate it. I have it up 99% of the time because it looks disgusting. I’ve booked a consultation for extensions but I’m still torn. Lots online saying they’ll ruin my hair, other sites saying it’s all to do with how they’re applied. I’m Laing towards getting them even if it’s just for the summer. Any advice??

Reactions: 1
I have quite fine (but not thin) hair. I hate it. I have it up 99% of the time because it looks disgusting. I’ve booked a consultation for extensions but I’m still torn. Lots online saying they’ll ruin my hair, other sites saying it’s all to do with how they’re applied. I’m Laing towards getting them even if it’s just for the summer. Any advice??
If you follow the correct aftercare and get them re-fitted when needed they will NOT damage your hair. However you do need to make sure you’re going to a good place because having someone who actually knows how to fit properly and safely is also important in terms of not damaging your hair. You also need to go for the right method of extensions for the fact you have fine hair, and the right hairdresser should know the answer to this for you. I’ve had extensions now for 5 years, and can’t see a single time in my life where I won’t. It’s changed my life, and confidence.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If you follow the correct aftercare and get them re-fitted when needed they will NOT damage your hair. However you do need to make sure you’re going to a good place because having someone who actually knows how to fit properly and safely is also important in terms of not damaging your hair. You also need to go for the right method of extensions for the fact you have fine hair, and the right hairdresser should know the answer to this for you. I’ve had extensions now for 5 years, and can’t see a single time in my life where I won’t. It’s changed my life, and confidence.
Amazing!! I’m going to a really well reviewed salon in my town so I’m hopeful they’ll be able to help!!

As a pp said, if application and aftercare is done correctly, they won't damage your hair. Only thing is the cost. Cost of the hair and application. Then maintenance costs every 6 weeks, plus special shampoo and conditioner.
You also can't leave your hair wet, the extensions have to be left bone dry so have to factor in time to blow dry your hair. I was also advised against head massage due to the oil and potentially getting the extensions tangled. X

As a pp said, if application and aftercare is done correctly, they won't damage your hair. Only thing is the cost. Cost of the hair and application. Then maintenance costs every 6 weeks, plus special shampoo and conditioner.
You also can't leave your hair wet, the extensions have to be left bone dry so have to factor in time to blow dry your hair. I was also advised against head massage due to the oil and potentially getting the extensions tangled. X
This is the bain of my life, having to ask the massage lady to skip the scalp massage when it’s the best bit 😂

But yeah that’s another factor, not doing it unless you’re in the financial position to do the re-fits every 6 weeks - as leaving them to grow out too long would weigh down your hair too much and cause damage. Not to mention start looking visible to others. Ensuring you only use the right shampoos, sulphate free. Being aware of the fact blow drying your hair will now take you a million times longer and you cannnnnot ever sleep with wet hair. If you don’t have straight hair naturally, the additional styling time to get it all looking seamless and blend well

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This is the bain of my life, having to ask the massage lady to skip the scalp massage when it’s the best bit 😂

If you don’t have straight hair naturally, the additional styling time to get it all looking seamless and blend well
When I got my extensions out the first thing I did was book an Indian head massage!!

Yup agree about having to have straight hair. My hair always used to be fairly straight and then suddenly it became really fluffy and frizzy, so I was having to use more products to control that, plus more heat to make it blend which no doubt did a fair bit of damage to my hair. When I took my extensions out (and after my first head massage) I left it to dry naturally and realised it was super curly. So no more extensions for me as the damage I was causing my hair outweighed the aesthetics of it.

Plus another thing to consider is if you want to colour your hair, if the extensions can be coloured and then if you want to change colour, you will probably need a new set. ( I have 250 in my natural copper colour and 250 in blonde when I was having a mad moment. Every Time I see them hanging up I could cry as that's 100s of pounds sitting there, never to be used again!)

Chlorine can also damage them. My hairdresser recommended going just before you are due a new set so it doesn't matter if they get ruined.

Oh and one more thing, unlikely but I hadn't thought about it until it happened to me. I had a brand new set of extensions put it on the sat. On the Monday I spent the day at the hospital due to gallstones, and booked in for an op the following monday. No metal is allowed for MRI and operation. Hairdresser was on holiday so I had to get my husband to remove them all. (That was a fun few hours!) Then had to rebook to get them all put in again. Luckily my hairdresser was a sweetheart and did them foc for me. So any ops booked in, planned or unplanned, MRI scan they will need to be removed.

Lots to consider xx

When I got my extensions out the first thing I did was book an Indian head massage!!

Yup agree about having to have straight hair. My hair always used to be fairly straight and then suddenly it became really fluffy and frizzy, so I was having to use more products to control that, plus more heat to make it blend which no doubt did a fair bit of damage to my hair. When I took my extensions out (and after my first head massage) I left it to dry naturally and realised it was super curly. So no more extensions for me as the damage I was causing my hair outweighed the aesthetics of it.

Plus another thing to consider is if you want to colour your hair, if the extensions can be coloured and then if you want to change colour, you will probably need a new set. ( I have 250 in my natural copper colour and 250 in blonde when I was having a mad moment. Every Time I see them hanging up I could cry as that's 100s of pounds sitting there, never to be used again!)

Chlorine can also damage them. My hairdresser recommended going just before you are due a new set so it doesn't matter if they get ruined.

Oh and one more thing, unlikely but I hadn't thought about it until it happened to me. I had a brand new set of extensions put it on the sat. On the Monday I spent the day at the hospital due to gallstones, and booked in for an op the following monday. No metal is allowed for MRI and operation. Hairdresser was on holiday so I had to get my husband to remove them all. (That was a fun few hours!) Then had to rebook to get them all put in again. Luckily my hairdresser was a sweetheart and did them foc for me. So any ops booked in, planned or unplanned, MRI scan they will need to be removed.

Lots to consider xx
😂 Wow being a woman is hard. Agree with the colour match, you never want your hair to not look like it doesn’t blend well. My hair is black luckily, and I have black extensions so no messing about, but can be annoying if you do get it regularly coloured because it’s upkeep, so shades of blonde etc as well as wanting to change colour. I’m also lucky to have poker hair streaming too, so again don’t really need to do anything other than dry it. But if you do have naturally curly/wavy hair so will need to constantly run hair tools through it, that WILL damage your hair more.

• Heart
Thank you!!

I don't tend to go for massages 🤣

My hair is usually straight if I use conditioner on it, so that's fine!

I've seen so many mixed things about washing your hair. Some say you can only wash once a week and you have to leave it to air dry, because the heat of drying is bad for the bonds? I know the extensionist will tell me more but it's confused me a lot!

But yeah that’s another factor, not doing it unless you’re in the financial position to do the re-fits every 6 weeks - as leaving them to grow out too long would weigh down your hair too much and cause damage. Not to mention start looking visible to others. Ensuring you only use the right shampoos, sulphate free. Being aware of the fact blow drying your hair will now take you a million times longer and you cannnnnot ever sleep with wet hair. If you don’t have straight hair naturally, the additional styling time to get it all looking seamless and blend well
I've made a budget with the cost of every 6 week appointment built in 🤣

Thank you!!

I don't tend to go for massages 🤣

My hair is usually straight if I use conditioner on it, so that's fine!

I've seen so many mixed things about washing your hair. Some say you can only wash once a week and you have to leave it to air dry, because the heat of drying is bad for the bonds? I know the extensionist will tell me more but it's confused me a lot!

I've made a budget with the cost of every 6 week appointment built in 🤣
You are missing out!!

Wet hair weakens the bond and also causes your hair to tangle and Matt.

Yeah so you’re only really meant to wash it once a week, to be honest I only wash my hair when I have plans/need to look respectable. Sometimes that’s twice a week, sometimes it’s more than a week. My hairdresser told me you can just wash the top of your head if you want to give it a freshen, so the lengths and ends of your hair don’t get wet. I personally don’t do this, but my friend who has a weave swears by it.

I don’t know how big your budget is, but see if your hairdresser carries the brand Remi Cachet extensions. I think they are the best extensions by an absolute mile and I’ve also spoke to many different salons that agree. The other ‘main brand’ I have heard of is Hair Kings but not tried. If they don’t have RC could always order it yourself on a website called AdditionalLengths and ask them to fit it. I’d research whatever brand it is they try to tell you though, and see how people say it lasts online before you commit to them as it’ll set you back hundreds. You should get at least 12 months out of hair.

Do NOT BUY BEAUTYWORKS HAIR!!! Any salon that recommends them is quite literally trying to con you. You only need to put it in on Tik Tok and read some real people’s comments to see why - it’s interesting how no one apart from influencers that given new hair for free other month recommend them 😉. That’s their whole thing. Crazy amounts on marketing, Molly Mae brand deals and absolutely duck all longevity and quality in the hair.

I hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread! I’ve been considering getting hair extensions too, I had a lot of hair loss at the end of last year but it’s growing back lovely and thick so looking to get them as my hair is now obviously quite short. I’m particularly looking at nano beads but I’m too scared to go for a consultation appointment as I have no idea how much it will all cost? Can anyone give me an idea of initial appointment cost along with upkeep costs please?! Also what’s the shortest length my hair could be fit them to put them in? It’s currently a few inches long so I’m not sure if it’ll be too difficult until a bit longer? It’s driving me mad atm cos of how it’s sticking up😂

I hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread! I’ve been considering getting hair extensions too, I had a lot of hair loss at the end of last year but it’s growing back lovely and thick so looking to get them as my hair is now obviously quite short. I’m particularly looking at nano beads but I’m too scared to go for a consultation appointment as I have no idea how much it will all cost? Can anyone give me an idea of initial appointment cost along with upkeep costs please?! Also what’s the shortest length my hair could be fit them to put them in? It’s currently a few inches long so I’m not sure if it’ll be too difficult until a bit longer? It’s driving me mad atm cos of how it’s sticking up😂
There’s not really a thing such as minimum length yours needs to be, a good hairdresser should be able to work with most lengths to get it to seamlessly blend. It depends what method of extensions and how long you’re after in terms of cost, extensions are normally sold between 18”” and 24”. So for example mine is the 24” weave from Remi Cachet. They do different ranges at different price points too. Mine is this one https://www.additionallengths.co.uk/products/full-flat-weft-colour-1b-length-24 so £470 for the weave and then £60-80 to re-fit every 6 weeks. Nanos are definitely cheaper though. And I don’t know if you’d want so dramatically long if it’s currently short. Then the shampoo I buy tbh I should be going more expensive but I just use any cheap sulphate shampoo in Boots so that’s just normal price.

Just checked and the nano equivalent in my length and colour is £380. Nanos is different in the sense you buy them in bunches of 25g so it depends how many you need in your head. Mine would only be for thickness so I’d buy four packs of these. In comparison, 20” is only £280. https://www.additionallengths.co.uk/products/nano-tips-colour-1b-length-24-inch

Ultimately the best would be to find a hairdresser to give a consultation specific to your hair and they should be able to colour match you, price it up and let you know

• Heart
There’s not really a thing such as minimum length yours needs to be, a good hairdresser should be able to work with most lengths to get it to seamlessly blend. It depends what method of extensions and how long you’re after in terms of cost, extensions are normally sold between 18”” and 24”. So for example mine is the 24” weave from Remi Cachet. They do different ranges at different price points too. Mine is this one https://www.additionallengths.co.uk/products/full-flat-weft-colour-1b-length-24 so £470 for the weave and then £60-80 to re-fit every 6 weeks. Nanos are definitely cheaper though. And I don’t know if you’d want so dramatically long if it’s currently short. Then the shampoo I buy tbh I should be going more expensive but I just use any cheap sulphate shampoo in Boots so that’s just normal price.

Just checked and the nano equivalent in my length and colour is £380. Nanos is different in the sense you buy them in bunches of 25g so it depends how many you need in your head. Mine would only be for thickness so I’d buy four packs of these. In comparison, 20” is only £280. https://www.additionallengths.co.uk/products/nano-tips-colour-1b-length-24-inch

Ultimately the best would be to find a hairdresser to give a consultation specific to your hair and they should be able to colour match you, price it up and let you know
You are an absolute gem, thank you so much!