Time off work for a hospital appointment

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, hoping for a bit of advice 😅

I have a hospital appointment next week during work hours, I’m not sure how long it’ll take (minimum 3 hours including travelling there and back) but I’ll need some time off work to go to it. I don’t want to tell my employer what the appointment is for as it’s quite personal but I’ll need to ask for the time off.

Will I be expected to tell my employer the reason for the appointment? Should I expect this to be paid or should I request some annual leave? I’ll need to log in in the morning to do some work before I go to the appointment that can’t be missed so won’t be able to book a days annual leave, especially as lots of other people are off already. I don’t believe they’d say no to a hospital appointment but I worry they might ask what it’s for which I don’t want to disclose

I don’t think you have to disclose what it’s for, I would always just say I have a hospital appointment and keep it vague. We get paid/don’t have to make the time up but other companies would be different, might be worth speaking with your hr department or check policies if you have them

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I don’t think you have to disclose what it’s for, I would always just say I have a hospital appointment and keep it vague. We get paid/don’t have to make the time up but other companies would be different, might be worth speaking with your hr department or check policies if you have them
Yeah I’m more than happy to take it unpaid tbh! Just don’t want them thinking I’m taking the mick having the time off during work when there was no other option

Reactions: 1
My work asks for your appointment letter which 9/10 says graphically why youre going. 🙄 you can often get an appointment card from the reception. Try keeping it vague with work. If they want evidence say they arranged it by phone and you will bring in an appointment card when youre back? They normally just have the hospital/doctor name/ time&date

• Wow
Reactions: 4
My work asks for your appointment letter which 9/10 says graphically why youre going. 🙄 you can often get an appointment card from the reception. Try keeping it vague with work. If they want evidence say they arranged it by phone and you will bring in an appointment card when youre back? They normally just have the hospital/doctor name/ time&date
Never! Surely there should be some kind of confidentially 😣😣

Reactions: 6
I would maybe take leave for the afternoon if you are bothered about them asking what the appointment is for. But if you don’t want to do that say you are going to a hospital appointment and get a card while you are there with the date and time.

Reactions: 2
Hi all, hoping for a bit of advice 😅

I have a hospital appointment next week during work hours, I’m not sure how long it’ll take (minimum 3 hours including travelling there and back) but I’ll need some time off work to go to it. I don’t want to tell my employer what the appointment is for as it’s quite personal but I’ll need to ask for the time off.

Will I be expected to tell my employer the reason for the appointment? Should I expect this to be paid or should I request some annual leave? I’ll need to log in in the morning to do some work before I go to the appointment that can’t be missed so won’t be able to book a days annual leave, especially as lots of other people are off already. I don’t believe they’d say no to a hospital appointment but I worry they might ask what it’s for which I don’t want to disclose
Depends what the company policy is on pay however you don’t have to tell them what it is for x

Never! Surely there should be some kind of confidentially 😣😣
Well its a letter to me, I don't think the hospital realise you may have to show it to someone 😂 luckily I have lost all sense of shame and enjoy the look on ppls faces when I show them a "can you come have a probe shoved up your V-jay-jay again" letter

Normally they just let me have whatever time I need just to end the awkwardness 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
If people are experiencing this and you have the means, make a copy then redact the letter before you pass it over. All it needs to show is your name and the time and date of the appointment. There is no legal requirement for any other information to be provided.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So frustrating how very companies make you feel guilty for taking a hospital appointment! I always get worried for asking for mine off.

I just ask for the day off. If they say "oh X is off that day too....blah blah" then I tell them I have a hospital appointment which is very important & can't be rescheduled. I take the day off because the appointments are stressful and you never get seen on time. For instance appointment is at 2pm but I don't get out till 5pm or worse. I take it as a holiday day.
You don't have to tell them exactly what the appointment is for.
One time an appointment was on Valentines Day & I didn't want them to think I was making it up to take the day off so that time I did bring in the letter as proof and I joked about it but they were fine with it 🤷‍♀️

Personally I wouldn't expect to disclose what your appointment is for or any on-going health issues, not with your employer anyway. I know in my job (teacher) I would be required to provide evidence of an appointment, like a letter, with my absence request. Incidentally I was having therapy for a long standing illness & did have multiple appointments so my employer did refer me to occupational health in the end. Obviously the discussions between myself & the Dr there were completely confidential but he just gave my employer the nod that I was well enough to be working. Then I was pregnant & needed time off for antenatal appointments & again had to give evidence for these.

I looked into this once as I had a hospital appointment on the same day as another colleague had asked for time off for an appointment. Your employer does not have to authorise the time off for you , but you can phone in 'sick ' that day with medical proof.

They’re not legally allowed to ask what the appointment is regarding and you’re under no obligation to disclose it. Mine would be fine with it as it’s pretty hard to have a hospital appointment at a weekend and you have to go when you can get one or risk waiting months. Usually employers would let you take the required time for medical appointments. You can always copy your letter and black out the personal bits if you don’t want to disclose what it’s for or as another poster said, ask for an appointment card if they require proof

If the appointment is in the afternoon, definitely take a half day - and don't worry about there being so many people off at the moment; look after yourself first and foremost.

They’re not legally allowed to ask what the appointment is regarding and you’re under no obligation to disclose it. Mine would be fine with it as it’s pretty hard to have a hospital appointment at a weekend and you have to go when you can get one or risk waiting months. Usually employers would let you take the required time for medical appointments. You can always copy your letter and black out the personal bits if you don’t want to disclose what it’s for or as another poster said, ask for an appointment card if they require proof
Was just about to say the same. I have to go to hospital appointments and my direct manager asks me to send a copy of the letter (with personal bits redacted) just for info. I've never had to take time off for a hospital appointment although I know other places who insist on this. I think what's important is that you have a dialogue about it with your direct manager, worst case scenario you could offer to work the time back etc.

Check if your company has any policies allowing time off for appointments. At my work we have both paid special leave for appointments and paid disability leave for people with on going conditions which mean they need time off on a regular basis.
There is no expectation that the details of the reason for the appointment are shared unless it is a condition that will require some sort of reasonable adjustment to be made to keep you safe at work. If they do ask to see your appointment letter as proof, could you take a photo on your mobile of the letterhead, date and time of appointment but not the bit that mentions the condition/name of the clinic and send them that?

Never ask for days off for appointments or interviews just call in sick that way no one knows your business and you can avoid having to be told someone else has booked it off so you can’t have it off too.I use to call in sick in January as only 2 people where aloud you take that time off and i was never one of them no matter how in advanced I tried to book it

I usually just take a half day for hospital appointments to avoid the ‘oh what’s what for questions’. Makes life easier and I’m not stressed about the hours I’m missing and will need to make up

Never ask for days off for appointments or interviews just call in sick that way no one knows your business and you can avoid having to be told someone else has booked it off so you can’t have it off too.I use to call in sick in January as only 2 people where aloud you take that time off and i was never one of them no matter how in advanced I tried to book it
I'd be worried I'd run into someone from work. Although, if you were seen at a hospital that could point to you being sick ....