Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone been on levo for over a year and only just developing period problems? I think my period might be here early this monthšŸ˜Ŗ but itā€™s over a year since I started levo after TT so I donā€™t know if it is thyroid related or notā€¦

Hi all. Diagnosed with Graves (hyper) 2.5 years ago. Going back on carbimazole next week as my levels have shot up again for the 2nd time this year... last time endo let me see if they would come down on their own (they did) but that's not happening this time. She's also prescribed me semaglutide (wegovy) as I put 3 stone on last time I was on carbimazole. Has anyone else been on ozempic/wegocy whilst on carbimazole and did it help stem/stop the weight gain please?

Anyone been on levo for over a year and only just developing period problems? I think my period might be here early this monthšŸ˜Ŗ but itā€™s over a year since I started levo after TT so I donā€™t know if it is thyroid related or notā€¦
Do you get your levels checked regularly? Perhaps you need a medication adjustment. I was getting mine checked fairly frequently first year on levothyroxine I think.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone here had thyroid issues during pregnancy?

Iā€™ve never been diagnosed with thyroid issues before (despite suffering various symptoms in the past, including having a goitre! My levels have always been normal apparently)

I am currently in my 2nd trimester and expecting twins. My obstetrician decided to check my thyroid as Iā€™ve been suffering with a very fast heart rate and palpitations, alongside severe headaches. He only tested my Free T4 I think and I got a phone call to say it is 23 and they would expect it to be no higher than 20 (I believe the levels may differ in pregnancy to the norm?)

He basically said he needs to contact the endocrinologist to see whether they want to medicate me or not as itā€™s not ā€œragingly highā€. Iā€™m just a little concerned of the risks associated with thyroid problems and pregnancy and Iā€™m struggling to get answers out of anyone! If I need to be on medication I am more than happy to do so. And would prefer to do it sooner rather than later!

Any thoughts appreciated ā¤

Reactions: 1
Has anyone here had thyroid issues during pregnancy?

Iā€™ve never been diagnosed with thyroid issues before (despite suffering various symptoms in the past, including having a goitre! My levels have always been normal apparently)

I am currently in my 2nd trimester and expecting twins. My obstetrician decided to check my thyroid as Iā€™ve been suffering with a very fast heart rate and palpitations, alongside severe headaches. He only tested my Free T4 I think and I got a phone call to say it is 23 and they would expect it to be no higher than 20 (I believe the levels may differ in pregnancy to the norm?)

He basically said he needs to contact the endocrinologist to see whether they want to medicate me or not as itā€™s not ā€œragingly highā€. Iā€™m just a little concerned of the risks associated with thyroid problems and pregnancy and Iā€™m struggling to get answers out of anyone! If I need to be on medication I am more than happy to do so. And would prefer to do it sooner rather than later!

Any thoughts appreciated ā¤
It may settle down, most autoimmune disorders do during pregnancy ,if not they may offer medication under endo care and carefully monitored as some can cause liver problems in the mum, your bloods will be checked frequently.

It may settle down, most autoimmune disorders do during pregnancy ,if not they may offer medication under endo care and carefully monitored as some can cause liver problems in the mum, your bloods will be checked frequently.
Thanks for your reply. My OB has contacted Endocrinology to ask whether to repeat the bloods, medicate or do nothing. So I am awaiting that answer!

I also realised he tested my TSH and it is suppressed <0.01 which I believe may indicate Graves?

Thanks for your reply. My OB has contacted Endocrinology to ask whether to repeat the bloods, medicate or do nothing. So I am awaiting that answer!

I also realised he tested my TSH and it is suppressed <0.01 which I believe may indicate Graves?
Thatā€™s even better , Graves usually settles down during pregnancy without medication, theyā€™ll probably just test you again in a few weeks to see how things are, main thing is not to worry ! if you need medication itā€™ll be safe and well monitored.

My TSH has been <0.01 (undetectable) both during pregnancy and afterwards. My thyroid issue isn't autoimmune, it's a multinodular goiter which had become toxic so the nodules were producing too much of the hormone. I very nearly had to go on medication during one of my pregnancies but fortunately my T4 levels didn't rise any higher. There are side effects with the medication though so make sure you're making an informed choice.

I can't remember if you mentioned in your previous post whether you'd been tested for antibodies? This will determine if you have an autoimmune condition or a problem within the thyroid itself.

Mine didn't ever resolve properly after pregnancy and I ended up having half of it removed. The remaining half is very large but at the moment is behaving itself hormone wise so I get to keep it for a while.

My TSH has been <0.01 (undetectable) both during pregnancy and afterwards. My thyroid issue isn't autoimmune, it's a multinodular goiter which had become toxic so the nodules were producing too much of the hormone. I very nearly had to go on medication during one of my pregnancies but fortunately my T4 levels didn't rise any higher. There are side effects with the medication though so make sure you're making an informed choice.

I can't remember if you mentioned in your previous post whether you'd been tested for antibodies? This will determine if you have an autoimmune condition or a problem within the thyroid itself.

Mine didn't ever resolve properly after pregnancy and I ended up having half of it removed. The remaining half is very large but at the moment is behaving itself hormone wise so I get to keep it for a while.
Iā€™ve (finally!) had my TRAB (antibody) result and have been told itā€™s come back positive. However I believe my thyroid levels are currently within normal range.

My OB has told me that Endocrinology want to retest my TRAB and thyroid function at 28 weeks, which is fine, but is a false positive possible?! I gather this indicates that it is autoimmune related and not pregnancy induced?

Iā€™ve (finally!) had my TRAB (antibody) result and have been told itā€™s come back positive. However I believe my thyroid levels are currently within normal range.

My OB has told me that Endocrinology want to retest my TRAB and thyroid function at 28 weeks, which is fine, but is a false positive possible?! I gather this indicates that it is autoimmune related and not pregnancy induced?
I don't think false positives happen really so it does sound like you had an existing autoimmune condition that has simply become symptomatic/presented now probably due to hormone changes etc due to the pregnancy.

I don't know that much about autoimmune thyroid conditions beyond what I read up on a few years ago but I'd imagine you will be closely monitored now. Also, if you feel unwell in the weeks or months following delivery then make sure you go back to the GP, don't just 'put up' with it.

I'm glad you have some answers and a clear plan in place for follow up etc. Hope you're feeling OK about it all and not too stressed out.

I don't think false positives happen really so it does sound like you had an existing autoimmune condition that has simply become symptomatic/presented now probably due to hormone changes etc due to the pregnancy.

I don't know that much about autoimmune thyroid conditions beyond what I read up on a few years ago but I'd imagine you will be closely monitored now. Also, if you feel unwell in the weeks or months following delivery then make sure you go back to the GP, don't just 'put up' with it.

I'm glad you have some answers and a clear plan in place for follow up etc. Hope you're feeling OK about it all and not too stressed out.
thank you so much! I have been told Endocrinology want to see me 6 weeks post birth so sounds like everything is in place!

They seem to be happy that my levels are okay and I donā€™t currently need medicating which is great, just want to make sure all the right things are done to check on the babies once they are born as I believe thyroid problems can pass over.

• Heart
thank you so much! I have been told Endocrinology want to see me 6 weeks post birth so sounds like everything is in place!

They seem to be happy that my levels are okay and I donā€™t currently need medicating which is great, just want to make sure all the right things are done to check on the babies once they are born as I believe thyroid problems can pass over.
Yeah they can. My first was born hypothyroid (his production was suppressed because mine was overactive) and was on Levothroxine until he was 4. He hasn't had any throid problems since though!

hey everyone I hope you're all doing well and are getting answers! I had this video pop up, which was a bit funny but might be helpful to some! (obviously everyone is different!)

• Heart
Reactions: 3