The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We're having petrol supply issues again in Cornwall, not sure why, driver shortages due to covid perhaps? Any other areas having problems?

Reactions: 2

Yel

We're having petrol supply issues again in Cornwall, not sure why, driver shortages due to covid perhaps? Any other areas having problems?
We've been having this in Kent for the last couple of days in my two local stations. Places out of everything apart from the premium unleaded

Wasn't sure if it was related to something like p&o or the port congestion?

Reactions: 4
New thread - mp’s got a pay rise , now their laughing at the uk’s financial demise

Reactions: 7
We've been having this in Kent for the last couple of days in my two local stations. Places out of everything apart from the premium unleaded

Wasn't sure if it was related to something like p&o or the port congestion?
I think its in part due to the protests at the fuel sites, the lorries can't get out to complete the deliveries. Drove past a couple in Kent today and they're all shut as they've had no deliveries at all in the past few days or if they do, it's gone very quickly. Hopefully resolves itself soon as there have been a lot of arrests and the supply will even back out again, even if it is still expensive!

Reactions: 3

Yel

I think its in part due to the protests at the fuel sites, the lorries can't get out to complete the deliveries. Drove past a couple in Kent today and they're all shut as they've had no deliveries at all in the past few days or if they do, it's gone very quickly. Hopefully resolves itself soon as there have been a lot of arrests and the supply will even back out again, even if it is still expensive!
Interesting! There seems to have been silence from the media over the fuel shortage which is probably good to not manifest it. But I bet some have been caught short.

Edit just searched and seen that papers are reporting on the shortage, but it appears to not be the headline news like it usually is.

Reactions: 5
Interesting! There seems to have been silence from the media over the fuel shortage which is probably good to not manifest it. But I bet some have been caught short.

Edit just searched and seen that papers are reporting on the shortage, but it appears to not be the headline news like it usually is.
The local Facebook groups have just been a constant "where has diesel?". Favourite comments are those saying they got fuel the day before so Tesco must be fine 😂😂 A few people have said though where they're leaving it as long as possible to refuel, it has meant they now have none to go around multiple garages and definitely wouldn't make it to work today if they can't fill up which is going to cause knock on effects especially if they're in care services/emergency services let alone if they can't get in for retail jobs meaning stores struggle. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment of the protesters, the knock on effects to potentially the most vulnerable in society who need a carer, who need emergency services etc is never seemingly taken into account.

Reactions: 4

I actually need to fill up so will try tomorrow morning 😑

Nipped into Lidl before and the shelves were sparse to say the least.

Reactions: 7

Yel

The shops are looking a bit bare. Maybe people are just over all this and don't care? I couldn't find a couple of things so bought other stuff. No big deal.

Reactions: 6
The shops are looking a bit bare. Maybe people are just over all this and don't care? I couldn't find a couple of things so bought other stuff. No big deal.
I have noticed frozen food often out of stock again but most other stuff is okay

Reactions: 1
Fine for petrol where I am but the fresh fruit and veg shelves of the supermarket were bare today

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I've noticed even just getting a few bits from the supermarket now seems to be around the £20 mark or just under. They just keep adding onto everything.

Reactions: 11

I actually need to fill up so will try tomorrow morning 😑

Nipped into Lidl before and the shelves were sparse to say the least.
Yes to Brenda from Bristol ❤

I went to Tesco today and for the most part it was well stocked, apart from, randomly, ice cream but I think that was likely a broken freezer more than anything (and I wasn't buying anyway, just noticed it as I walked past) lots of fresh fruit and veg, toilet roll fine, eggs were fine too after all the "you might never be able to buy eggs again" panic headlines the other week regarding free range. Didn't need to get any meats this week but looking up that aisle (in some vain attempt at increasing my steps for the day 😂) it all looked fine too. There did seem to be a smash and grab scenario going down on the Easter egg aisle though. Looked mayhem and a lot of people filling their trolleys with the smaller £1 eggs - potentially a lot of the bakers who are getting them to make the cheesecakes to sell based on a few bits in their trolleys (I'm hella nosey if you couldn't tell 😂)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I've noticed even just getting a few bits from the supermarket now seems to be around the £20 mark or just under. They just keep adding onto everything.
£89 for 2 of us on our weekly shop this morning, used to be around £60! No booze, nearly all fresh produce, just a couple of processed meals/frozen items.

On a side note, Tesco fuel was completely closed & Sainsbury only had unleaded. Nearest other fuel stations for us are at least 20-30 mins away (middle of nowhere in Cornwall 🤦‍♀️).

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Don't they have to turn them off if the wind is strong though?

With all these solar things and electric cars etc the planet is going to be so much worse off than it is now. I feel new energy will be the old diesel scam, everyone changes and then gets told oops we were wrong.
I've been saying this for ages. It's a con especially the electric cars.

Do you know diesel was actually pushed as it's a by product of jet fuel and they were having trouble getting rid of it.

They convinced everyone to get solar panels, but people who made the investment are now saying they are not getting the same deal in energy they were promised.

I think the people with the money invested in electric cars when those hybrid ones 1st started kicking off. But when they didn't take off properly they started this push to get rid of petrol so the prior investments paid off.

They have admitted that electric cars are worse for the environment due to the material in the batteries and their short shelf life. Plus the grid can't cope with them if we all had them.

Windfarms don't work, they invested in them then discovered that to maintain turbines in the sea is super expensive. Nucular power is the best, tidal power could work but there's been no real investment in it. Burning trees for electricity which is what they are doing at the monent is what's killing the planet. It's all about investment and profit, they green mantra is just to get the general public to buy into it.

A friend of ours has put in a ground heat pump, not sure how those work. We've got a 10 year old housing estate near us that has solar roof tiles. Not sure how it all works tbh

A friend of ours has put in a ground heat pump, not sure how those work.
It's the same general principle as a fridge, except with longer pipes. The cold bit is buried in the ground and the hot bit is used to heat water.

We've got a 10 year old housing estate near us that has solar roof tiles. Not sure how it all works tbh
Short answer - car batteries, low voltage lighting and a box to convert battery to mains power so normal stuff can just plug in, and maybe another box to merge it with the regular mains.
It's unlikely to let them completely disconnect from the power company as we don't usually get enough sunlight in the UK to do that.

(hoping I understood what the question was asking! And wanting to keep it short but hopefully not so bad as to prompt a pile-on of pedants, though amused at the acronym possibility of that one... )

From what I hear around me people who got solar pannels are very happy. Nuclear power I am not convinced because of the long term costs of storing the nuclear waste + deconstructing nuclear sites - it's still in process and not yet done even for the oldest nuclear powers not functioning anymore. I find that it's not a great thing to give to the next generations to deal with it. Also you still to get uranium so it's not giving complete autonomy geopolitically. I think a country should use a diversified mix of energies to avoid to be stuck with countries like Saudia Arabia bombing Yemen or Russia doing the same in Ukraine.

And I know that climate change is heated topic but I don't get how even if we put on the side the CO2 impact how we can keep on to defend gas and oil as main energies when we see how they pollutate the atmosphere and the environment. So many people are dying every year because of this pollution.

In any cases it's not only about what kind of energy to use but how we want to live but that's another topic even more complex.

Reactions: 2
It's the same general principle as a fridge, except with longer pipes. The cold bit is buried in the ground and the hot bit is used to heat water.

Short answer - car batteries, low voltage lighting and a box to convert battery to mains power so normal stuff can just plug in, and maybe another box to merge it with the regular mains.
It's unlikely to let them completely disconnect from the power company as we don't usually get enough sunlight in the UK to do that.

(hoping I understood what the question was asking! And wanting to keep it short but hopefully not so bad as to prompt a pile-on of pedants, though amused at the acronym possibility of that one... )
No not much sun here and when it is sunny you have less lights on 🤣 but if it helps with some of costs and better environmentally then thats got to be good? I don't know why all new builds don't have solar as standard

From what I hear around me people who got solar pannels are very happy. Nuclear power I am not convinced because of the long term costs of storing the nuclear waste + deconstructing nuclear sites - it's still in process and not yet done even for the oldest nuclear powers not functioning anymore. I find that it's not a great thing to give to the next generations to deal with it. Also you still to get uranium so it's not giving complete autonomy geopolitically. I think a country should use a diversified mix of energies to avoid to be stuck with countries like Saudia Arabia bombing Yemen or Russia doing the same in Ukraine.

And I know that climate change is heated topic but I don't get how even if we put on the side the CO2 impact how we can keep on to defend gas and oil as main energies when we see how they pollutate the atmosphere and the environment. So many people are dying every year because of this pollution.

In any cases it's not only about what kind of energy to use but how we want to live but that's another topic even more complex.
I agree we should be looking at a mixture rather than relying on one thing. Because if we all went solar, we would then be reliant on lithium which I think these Chinese have bought up.

I don't think electric cars are a good idea until our electricity is clean and our grid can support them. Hybrid make much more sense. Or why not a biofuel hybrid? Probably because the investment was put behind electric and so they want a return.

Why not biofule generators and solar panels for all houses.

Hydrogen was supposed to be the answer at one point but then went out of favour. It looks to be making a come again.

The problem is governments and businesses are short sighted. The money was in fossil fuels and no one wanted to pay for research and investment into other options. Now fossile fuels are out of favour because if political control, but we don't have a viable alternative other than burn trees.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.