The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read some where that 50% of your income should be on bills, 30% on fun and 20% savings well, I’ve worked mine out as 67/13/20 lol! Just interested to see what split everyone else has!
just had a look and ours is almost identical, bills 67% fun 12.5% save 20.5%. Savings only so high as I’m going on Mat leave soon

When I look at my budget spreadsheet it makes me feel sick at the cost of all our bills, it’s not frivolous either, we don’t have loads of subscriptions or big sky packages, I’ve stripped it back as far as it will go. Nursery costs are a killer here can’t wait for his free hours to start in September

do recognise though that I’m lucky that there’s even money available to save

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Are there people out there who don’t meal plan? I don’t understand how not planning works lol. Everyone talks about it as a tip for preventing waste but if you don’t plan what to make how do you know what to buy? And then you try and make something and you don’t have everything you need? Can’t imagine anything more stressful than doing that every day tbh!

just had a look and ours is almost identical, bills 67% fun 12.5% save 20.5%. Savings only so high as I’m going on Mat leave soon

When I look at my budget spreadsheet it makes me feel sick at the cost of all our bills, it’s not frivolous either, we don’t have loads of subscriptions or big sky packages, I’ve stripped it back as far as it will go. Nursery costs are a killer here can’t wait for his free hours to start in September

do recognise though that I’m lucky that there’s even money available to save
My daughter got her free hours last august and our fees went down from £550 to £135 a month! Was so good. Now we have another baby and when I go back to work we will be paying £750 a month 😭 I realise this is cheap compared to what some people pay but it’s still a lot of money. It’s like a second mortgage!

Reactions: 5
The cost of childcare is insane, god knows how people with twins or multiples in childcare at the same time afford it. Ours is pretty much £700 a month for 3 days a week, lucky that grandparents have him 1 day and I work condensed hours (full time over 4 days), otherwise it would be £1,150 a month - it must push so many people out of the work force

Reactions: 8
Childcare prices are appalling. We just had to pull my oldest out of her nursery she had been at as they wanted us to subsidise the 30 free hours to make it up to their hourly rate (which was an extra £20 a day on top of what they get from the govt) so £240 a month for 3 full days. 🤯 we couldn’t afford it, once we added new babies costs to that.

our new provider is £240 a month for both of them (3 full day for big girl, and 2 half days for baby) luckily my work are ok with me working evenings so we didn’t have to pay full days for baby. I wouldn’t be able to back to work of we had to pay for both of them.

The paperwork I filled out today said it was £10,780 for 5 full days over 12 months 🤯😩😭

• Wow
  • Heart
Jeez I had no idea childcare was so expensive. Another plus to the childfree life 💁🏼‍♀️

My percentages are roughly
50% bills, 25% fun, 25% savings
some months will be slightly less fun or savings depending what I'm doing

Jeez I had no idea childcare was so expensive.
It sounds so much 😬☹
I remember once being confused why my boss - who was on at least 15,000k more than me - used to say how xx childcare, bills and food left him with not much disposable income for most of the month. I was thinking, dude, you earn so much more than me. Until he mentioned his 3 kids were all on nursery at the same time, and how much he was paying. I was gobsmacked. I completely appreciate that childcare is not an easy job and workers deserve to be paid appropriately but also, when looking at the proportion it is of a monthly net wage, it's eyewatering.

Reactions: 7
Any of you with little ones it may be worth checking if your eligible for universal credit as you can get help with childcare. If not there's the tax free childcare scheme

Reactions: 4
Are there people out there who don’t meal plan? I don’t understand how not planning works lol. Everyone talks about it as a tip for preventing waste but if you don’t plan what to make how do you know what to buy? And then you try and make something and you don’t have everything you need? Can’t imagine anything more stressful than doing that every day tbh!
I tend to pop to the shop and get what we need for 2 or 3 days. I really need to get back to meal planning but finding it so hard now life is back to normal and the kids have clubs plus the 8 year old has been fussy lately 😫

Reactions: 2
Omg my energy bill looks set to more than triple when my fix rate comes to an end. If I go on to a standard variable tariff can I fix my direct debit at an amount I choose?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I read some where that 50% of your income should be on bills, 30% on fun and 20% savings well, I’ve worked mine out as 67/13/20 lol! Just interested to see what split everyone else has!
Mine is:
53% (includes rent, bills & food), 37% (savings), 10% (fun)

I don't have a life at all though because I'm focusing on saving right now.

I don't:
  • Eat out or buy take away (if I do, it's once a month maximum)
  • Buy take away coffee once a week maximum
  • Don't buy make-up as I stick to the essentials I already have
  • Buy fast-fashion: I have my 2/3 work outfits I rotate since I only go in twice a week. The rest of the time I'm in jeans / sweater / shirt
  • I don't have a gym membership since I either do yoga at home or go for a run
  • I order my grocery online as it allows me to stick to a budget as opposed to indulging into impulse buying to at the store
  • I get my nails and eyebrows done at home (I like simple nails and I know how to thread my own eyebrows)
  • Have children which helps significantly
  • I don't date (because now is not the right time, but dating is also an expense)
I've been so stringent with my finances that I now literally have a phobia of spending money. I bought a phone which turned out to be defective and the refund is taking a bit longer than expected - I'm literally having a meltdown at the idea of going above budget this month if the refund doesn't come in.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I love a good meal plan. Did a weekly shop today for £60 and I’ve two kids (although they do have school dinners). Meal plan this week is pasta pesto tomorrow (with leftovers for my lunches), sausages and mash, pizza, bolognaise, chicken roast, chicken curry and naan breads with leftover meat and jar sauce and scampi and chips. Other lunches for me and OH include cheese and pickle sandwiches, halloumi and chilli jam sandwiches and filled gnocchi. Snack wise I bought cereal bars, crisps, yoghurts for kids and fruit. Also included nappies, wipes, bin bags and a bottle wine. Not bad for £60 I don’t think
That is good, where do you do your shopping? (if you are in the UK!) do you buy everything in one place or shop around?

I'm trying to get a job at the moment. We were managing on just my husband's salery but with everything going up we've got less and less disposable each month and I'm racking up a credit card bill.

Childcare is bleeping me up though. My husband can't really help as his job is pretty full on. I worked out if I went full time I would end up paying about 140 in childcare. Even if I take a contractor job it's not worth me working. So I can only make it work if it's school hours only as my daughter gets the 30hours free, but then that greatly reduces options and pay bracket. It's so hard for women to get back to work, more places should be forced to offer school hours jobs. I'm trying to get a civil service job because they all offer flexibility around child care.

It's just all stressing me out, even when I find a job I have to find places to take the kids as I'm not sure my daighter preschool can even give her more hours. And I'm not really ready to leave my baby 😥

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Husband got up 6am to do meter reading and just discovered with octopus sat was the deadline.
Read lots energy websites crashed.
£500 is crazy ours going up to £265 upset me.

I had no idea the standing charge vary on where you live seems so unfair.
I'm south west which is higher than London.

I'm concerned about this Europe/ 🇷🇺 gas situation.
Germany and Austria are rationing gas.
Apparently UK only uses around 3% but we have low gas reserves and we get a lot from Norway which has contract to serve EU as priory.
Makes me wonder if will see black outs next autumn/ winter.
I can only conclude energy and ⛽ will keep rising as uk government sold off most private and other countries have state energy and better energy support packages.

I just don't trust a word uk government says they so corrupt.

They have no plan for energy.
More nuclear is too expensive and lengthy.
Johnson doesn't even know how many reactors we have.
Some right wing erg nutters are saying fracking which is expensive and wont help but sunack doesn't want heavily invest in renewable.

Di don't want this crappy £200 loan in October.
Have to chase up council over this £150 Council tax rebate.

Still debating stretching ourselves to get a Woodburner.

Also not been hugely covered by UK media but biden speech about food shortages.

Presumably 🇬🇧 faces same issues.
Went in 3 different supermarkets yesterday.
Nipped into Iceland and availability seemed good.
Lilds fresh juice and frozen was bad maybe awaiting delivery.
Also issue with tomatoes
Eggs looked fine
Didn't check out the long life juice as was in a hurry.

Did massive shop at big tesco again couple items not I'm stock, gone up or not in quantity I wanted as intended to do a big bulk shop brought 20 boxes of cereal for 4 kids given that its 2weeks half term probably only last the month.
Got value lemonade 20p squash 45p and value biscuits in bulk
They were not that cheap on crisps.
Brought booze.
No meat.
Very little fresh apart from few reductions and spent £117.

The eggs/ milk/ cooking oils, pasta/ flour was well stocked but lots pricier than aldi or lildls so will go there for those items..
I'm just going keep good stock if these items nothing too crazy.

Brought some what I call end of days foods this week.
Tinned fish
Tinned beans and potatoes
Dried mash.
Jar of honey as could be used a sugar substitute.

Will go aldi and get backup coffee/ oils/ pasta and flours but need to sort out my baking cupboard of doom 1

Sainsbury relaunched their own brand packet mixes and they look fab many are only 50p sand can help give you quick and easy meal ideas as most require limited amount veg/ meat and water to make.

Trying the fussy dog on tesco dried food hes so fussy.
He mostly likes ceaser and lily kitchen wet pouches and he will eat sainsbury but not aldi or lilds.
He likes aldi treats.

Sorted out my 2 bathroom cabinets as was fed up of the mess as wanted to stock take what we had.
Crazy amount body lotions seem to come in every gifted..
Changed some baskets for open baskets so can see what we have.
Allowed me to make a small list of gaps as whenever we go poundland / home bargains or wilkos we load up on toiletries as they cheap.
But then we get home and realise we got loads so end up wasting limited that money that month so now have a basket if bath bombs and basket of shower gels and told family we reuse what we have before we buy more.
Same with bathroom cleaning products bath used up 3 bottles of half empty spray.
Got a year supply of sun cream in aldi in jan for 27p each so mental notes don't buy sun products.
Random sale buy 10mini tubes of colgate 15p each in sainsbury local..
So ok couple months on toothpaste.

I also went on the grand LFT hunt honestly I had boxes scattered all over the place kids bedrooms , mine, hall, dining room bathroom and cupboards under the stairs.
The amount litter and recycling loads of half empty boxes..
Started collecting them over time from kids school, whenever saw council van only ordered 3 from online as can only order 1 box every 3 days.
Also started collecting pharmacy codes and doing a tour of the chemists but they been out of stock for over a week here.
Feel confident we have enough for our family and some spares for family and friends in needs.
I recently had covid and so did 2 of the kids the whole family daily tested and use 1 box a away and that would have cost is £140 privately from boots another thing thats much cheaper in Europe..
All these extra costs add up.

Todays mission is declutter and deep clean kitchen. And dining room.
Go through all the cleaning products and try and use up some half empty.
Stock take medicine box as think needs a few more things and realised when I had covid we had run out of ibuprofen also really want to invest in oximeter.
I did invest in a digital touch thermometer which I love with kids well worth the money.
Paid 14.99, lilds special.
Also need collect up makeup and see what gaps I need.
Finding wilkos cheaper on cruelty free makeup than super drug the mua range really reduced and gone up.
Wanted a hanging shower gel for shower the only one super drug had was radox £2.39 i dident want to pay that went in lildls and same one was 99p so always pays to shop around i now go to several shops.

Still trying make a decision over tv found a repair place who will look at it for 30 quid so going to try and risk that as its only 2 years old.
Maybe its something simple and cheap.

In other news and maybe some help to others and I know I sound like some old granny from the war.
Locally to me jumble sales restart as do carboots.
So easy to get carried away.
Off to one tommorow thats raising money for Ukraine and run by old ladies so has amazing selection blankets and bric a bracelet.

Things to look out for

Check wardrobe adults and kids write list if whats needed spring/ summer
Autumn winter
Seek out those clothes including really warm jumpers/ coats/ cardigans or pjs .

Other useful practical things warm blankets and throws.
Candles torches even a portable gas camping stove.

Check kitchen any gaps in appliances/ cooking accessories like cake pans/ baking trays even cutley and storage jars for food managed to find all these 2nd hand..
Usually lots of unused bread makers.

My kids don't mind 2nd hand toys and books can be ideal for birthday/ xmas presents i look for smalll cheap things stocking fillers.

If you know what you have a have can work out what you really need make a list and try and find 2nd hand .
Market place i find good for free or cheap furniture we are on the look out for cheap garden furniture and bedroom draws.

Attachments

• Heart
I had no idea the standing charge vary on where you live seems so unfair.
I'm south west which is higher than London
Yea I mentioned it on here a few weeks back, I'm also south west and think it's unfair and don't know why they didn't just do a flat increase of 15-20p for everyone. Our water rates are ridiculous too, house prices and rent are really high for the lower wages we've got 😔

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.