The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Octopus has currently got big notices on its website saying they don't recommend anyone switches at the moment.
You can still go with them but you'd be very unlikely to save anything. They've said I can swap to them once my meter is sorted

I tried to do a quote and got the same thing. I’ve just had my renewal for my energy tariff ending 26/3. From £90 per month to £198! Feel sick, fortunately we will be able to cope butI can appreciate how many others won’t be able to. How is this being allowed to happen?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Omg I know I keep posting the same thing here but it really is depressing. I’m so anxious about the next few months-year. There doesn’t seem to be an end in sight and I don’t know how much I can cut back on just to survive. We already don’t drink, barely go out etc, work out arses off. 😞

• Heart
  • Sad
We'll end up with civil unrest if energy prices become like half of a typical wage. This is just not going to work for most of us really, is it?! We are told we should be saving money for our futures/ future care needs etc but then they want 100s a month for the very basic human right of being warm. It's ridiculous and the government need to do something. I know we have to claw back money lost in pandemic but targeting the heating and energy is just punishment in my eyes. Tax the big corps!!
The economy will crash because stuff like eating out, going to the cinema, going to the pub are the first things that will be cut from peoples lists.

The way it's going we will be a country full of 500k houses which no one can afford to keep warm.

Reactions: 18
Omg I know I keep posting the same thing here but it really is depressing. I’m so anxious about the next few months-year. There doesn’t seem to be an end in sight and I don’t know how much I can cut back on just to survive. We already don’t drink, barely go out etc, work out arses off. 😞
It stinks, don’t worry about repeating yourself. If they think I’m working just to cover rent, council tax and utilities then they can sod off. The worker ants People will only be pushed so far 👹

I’ve always chosen PAYG on electric/gas and prefer it that way, it might cost more but I feel in control.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Exactly. So many of us have already tightened the belts for the past 2 years due to furlough, reduced pay, redundancies, etc, and now rising costs of basic standards of living. Energy to warm a house and food to eat shouldn’t soar in cost like this! I just did my weekly supermarket shop and tried to keep to budget but went over it by about 12 pounds to cover enough for our meals and packed lunches plus household supplies. When wheeling out the trolley to the car it definitely feels like getting less for my money all of a sudden. And the offers the supermarket give me on my rewards card are never on the things I want/need to buy that week :cautious:

• Heart
Are we breaking any records for now cold it is?

I'm down south and usually get a couple of frosty days a year. This year it must be 2 weeks of it just in the current snap.

Reactions: 6
Its been so cold the last few days.
I like watching TV In bed in evenings just to keep warm.
Next pay day might buy myself some thermals.

How's everyone doing January has felt bleak and hard as jan pay was 2 weeks early so been 6 week gap.
The December reductions i brought have massively helped with meals. For sure.
But its been fresh, snacks and drinks we struggled keep up with as well as running out of some non foods.

Is anyone like us week before pay day my strategy is not buy best value by weight but try and buy as much as can possibly with the money I have to tide us over.
Some months this works out but this week seems next to no good reductions can't rely on them anymore.
Really don't find the morrisions too good to go magic bag that great.
Lilds has had no squash or value bread all week.
Today just felt stressed made special trip retail park to go Iceland as they do a small block of cheese 🧀 for £1.
Well its no longer £1 its gone up whole 50p so its £1.50 anymore.
So I went back to Lilds and got a bag of small cheddar for 99p as we had completely run out of cheddar.
Almost ran out pasta we ate a lot of pasta this month value spagetti morrisions shot upto 25p from 20p so 5p rise but most things morrisions go up least 10p.
Been greatful to have some long life milk this week.

Trying to work out strategy for February as due to large unexpected tax bill its going to be tight.
Our strategy used to be shop around and downgrade to own brand or value or just buy offers.
This used to work but realised I don't think works forever.
On reflection been trying to save money on grocery since Sept and was noticing all the rises and shortage.
We hardly ever buy fizzy drinks apart from lemonade we buy more squash.
We stopped buying as many crisps and rationing them even 6 pm lilds own brand is 69p and not 52p.
Since value carton drinks dissappear they can't always have fruit juice in their lunch box.
I very rarely buy chocolate snacks like kit kats I just buy mix of boring biscuits.
Every week I buy each child a special snack and drink but realised its costing is £25 a month sometimes more so said we switching to shared treat snacks and drinks weekend only.
I'm trying to offer desert mainly icecream and offer them soup and roll followed by icecream or other lighter meals like baked potatoes, beans on toast or omelette egg and soldiers.
I try keep fruit bowl full with 2 different types of fruit.
Used buy frozen Berry mix for teens were £1.39 lilds and aldi similar thats nearly £2.
We always have 2 different types cereal and cheese and crackers..
The problem with cereal is amount milk we get through 6 pints a day for 6 people.
£1.60 6pint a typical 30 day month is £48 on milk alone!
Mine love aldi nuttoka on toast.

Feb going bulk buy some items lilds has cheese weekend special so buying 12 and freezing least 6 husband laughs and says we officially old freezing cheese.
But its sort thing on week before pay day when skint is a lot from what you have.
glad i bulk brought coffee.
Will buy more long life milk and build up pasta reserves again.
will go back to mass batch cooking and freezing.
I definatly to need increase bulk dog stuff us, non foods / cereals and squash.

First bus decides up the bus fare now neanly £80 to send my older 2 to secondary per month.
1 has to have schools dinners £2.70 per day.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Its been so cold the last few days.
I like watching TV In bed in evenings just to keep warm.
Next pay day might buy myself some thermals.

How's everyone doing January has felt bleak and hard as jan pay was 2 weeks early so been 6 week gap.
The December reductions i brought have massively helped with meals. For sure.
But its been fresh, snacks and drinks we struggled keep up with as well as running out of some non foods.

Is anyone like us week before pay day my strategy is not buy best value by weight but try and buy as much as can possibly with the money I have to tide us over.
Some months this works out but this week seems next to no good reductions can't rely on them anymore.
Really don't find the morrisions too good to go magic bag that great.
Lilds has had no squash or value bread all week.
Today just felt stressed made special trip retail park to go Iceland as they do a small block of cheese 🧀 for £1.
Well its no longer £1 its gone up whole 50p so its £1.50 anymore.
So I went back to Lilds and got a bag of small cheddar for 99p as we had completely run out of cheddar.
Almost ran out pasta we ate a lot of pasta this month value spagetti morrisions shot upto 25p from 20p so 5p rise but most things morrisions go up least 10p.
Been greatful to have some long life milk this week.

Trying to work out strategy for February as due to large unexpected tax bill its going to be tight.
Our strategy used to be shop around and downgrade to own brand or value or just buy offers.
This used to work but realised I don't think works forever.
On reflection been trying to save money on grocery since Sept and was noticing all the rises and shortage.
We hardly ever buy fizzy drinks apart from lemonade we buy more squash.
We stopped buying as many crisps and rationing them even 6 pm lilds own brand is 69p and not 52p.
Since value carton drinks dissappear they can't always have fruit juice in their lunch box.
I very rarely buy chocolate snacks like kit kats I just buy mix of boring biscuits.
Every week I buy each child a special snack and drink but realised its costing is £25 a month sometimes more so said we switching to shared treat snacks and drinks weekend only.
I'm trying to offer desert mainly icecream and offer them soup and roll followed by icecream or other lighter meals like baked potatoes, beans on toast or omelette egg and soldiers.
I try keep fruit bowl full with 2 different types of fruit.
Used buy frozen Berry mix for teens were £1.39 lilds and aldi similar thats nearly £2.
We always have 2 different types cereal and cheese and crackers..
The problem with cereal is amount milk we get through 6 pints a day for 6 people.
£1.60 6pint a typical 30 day month is £48 on milk alone!
Mine love aldi nuttoka on toast.

Feb going bulk buy some items lilds has cheese weekend special so buying 12 and freezing least 6 husband laughs and says we officially old freezing cheese.
But its sort thing on week before pay day when skint is a lot from what you have.
glad i bulk brought coffee.
Will buy more long life milk and build up pasta reserves again.
will go back to mass batch cooking and freezing.
I definatly to need increase bulk dog stuff us, non foods / cereals and squash.

First bus decides up the bus fare now neanly £80 to send my older 2 to secondary per month.
1 has to have schools dinners £2.70 per day.
I've noticed some of the value brand stuff has disappeared from the shelves and has been replaced by twee own brand names and the prices have gone up.

Reactions: 7
I've noticed some of the value brand stuff has disappeared from the shelves and has been replaced by twee own brand names and the prices have gone up.
There is lots of fake news surrounding this at the moment. Some value items have increased (as has all food) but lots have remained exactly the same like rice and pasta.

Jack monroe has been doing the rounds with totally made up figures scaring people that rice has increased 344% in a year, when it hasn't and at the big 4 and the 2 discounters you can still buy it for the same price of 45p. Shocking that places like the BBC and guardian have repeated her made up figures that can be debunked in seconds of googling, but that's the level of "journalism" these days.

Also value ranges aren't being removed from shops as jack claims, there's just as many as ever but they've been rebranded to remove the stigma. More on her threads in bloggers

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
There is lots of fake news surrounding this at the moment. Some value items have increased (as has all food) but lots have remained exactly the same like rice and pasta.

Jack monroe has been doing the rounds with totally made up figures scaring people that rice has increased 344% in a year, when it hasn't and at the big 4 and the 2 discounters you can still buy it for the same price of 45p.

Also value ranges aren't being removed from shops as jack claims, there's just as many as ever but they've been rebranded to remove the stigma. More on her threads in bloggers
Ah thanks, I haven't been on the JM threads in a while. I just noticed in my local supermarket they have got rid of the cheapest foodbags with no replacement and household bits like that but I haven't checked the rice and such. Perhaps I need to take a closer look when next there. Perhaps also supply issues in some lines make it look like they don't stock certain items.

Reactions: 5
That always happens. I wonder if the supermarkets do it to manipulate their figures to make it look like they have higher profits.

I worked at an independent retailer who did that.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
That always happens. I wonder if the supermarkets do it to manipulate their figures to make it look like they have higher profits.

I worked at an independent retailer who did that.
Supermarkets won't be doing that; firstly they'd all have to collude on prices of things to put up which they'd never get away with. And secondly the big 4 are having to compete more than ever with the rapid growth of the discounters so they want as many value items at the same price in stores.

This thread is quite good to debunk the hysteria caused by the ghoul that is Jack monroe

Reactions: 6
Ah thanks, I haven't been on the JM threads in a while. I just noticed in my local supermarket they have got rid of the cheapest foodbags with no replacement and household bits like that but I haven't checked the rice and such. Perhaps I need to take a closer look when next there. Perhaps also supply issues in some lines make it look like they don't stock certain items.
I have noticed the range of food bags and bin liners has halved. Those that remain seem double in price.

Lidl seem to have many gaps of late no spicy bean burgers, tom sauce, ice lollies for weeks.

Reactions: 3
Octopus has currently got big notices on its website saying they don't recommend anyone switches at the moment.
Of course they would.

If another company became massive cheaper tomorrow, Octopus would lose a shed load of customers.

Have fuel prices gone up everywhere? Just paid 1.48 for diesel, I'm sure it had gone down to 1.43 or 1.45

Of course they would.

If another company became massive cheaper tomorrow, Octopus would lose a shed load of customers.
No, they're actively discouraging people from switching TO them, they've disabled their online quoting system and the only way you can get a quote to switch to them at the moment is by phoning them.

Reactions: 7
No, they're actively discouraging people from switching TO them, they've disabled their online quoting system and the only way you can get a quote to switch to them at the moment is by phoning them.
That's what I get from their message too - from other pages it looks like they are still somewhat swamped with new customers from all the transfers from various gone-bust suppliers.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.