Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pushyplumb

VIP Member
I don't know how factually accurate but was a good drama to watch and everyone has said if it was made up you wouldn't believe it.

Reactions: 5

kev1974

VIP Member
I though that too and when the police searched the house they didn’t spot the secret door?
re the houses/debt this was the era when banks were throwing money at people to take on mortgages for properties that weren't worth it - the Northern Rock crisis etc that started it all unravelling hadn't happened yet. Also I think they had one big loan across all the properties, or one loan was leveraged against another, either way they couldn't just extract one property and sell it.

As for the secret door one of the police detectives was interviewed in the press somewhere and said yes it's obvious with hindsight but it wasn't at the time, my guess is the secret doors were actually pretty secret and nowhere near as obvious as the drama portrayed them!

I wonder how long it would have taken for the whole story to unravel without the photo? Do we think the police were on to them already?

From what I’d heard the police were already investigating as John had been spotted by a former tenant & Anne’s colleagues had raised the issue as she was often overheard on the phone to John.

They seemingly weren’t very discreet. Stupidity or arrogance - who knows?

• Wow

~vix~83~

VIP Member
We’ve watched this, kinda felt sorry for Anne but at the same time, she had so many chances to turn him in. He came across as a bully n a control freak. When they were being interviewed by the police she could of course told of truth!
watching the documentary on itv hub now.

• Sick

martha82

Chatty Member
I’ve finished episode 3.
Eddie Marsen is brilliant.
I do feel sorry for Anne. The husband was a real arsehole.
I do feel he was extremely controlling & she was stuck.
But also, lying to your children about dying or their father dying when he is still alive is absolutely horrific.
John Darwin was def messed up in the head.

kev1974

VIP Member
"Where are they now". He's on his way to fight in Ukraine apparently!

Article contains spoilers, obvs, since it's about the real life that the drama is based on.

Reactions: 4

Greenfly125

I wonder how long it would have taken for the whole story to unravel without the photo? Do we think the police were on to them already?

Reactions: 3

Jemimah

He was definitely loving the limelight in the press interviews, smirking all the time. Now he's got himself a Thai bride...

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
I've watched the first 2 episodes and am enjoying it. He comes across as such a selfish bastard. Eddie Marsan is a good actor and I always like seeing him in a drama.

I do feel some sympathy for his wife but ultimately she did make the decision to go along with his plans, so its only a small amount of sympathy.

Apparently John was sentenced to six years and three months in prison for admitting deception by faking his own death, while Anne received six-and-a-half years behind bars for fraud so she ended up being in prison longer than him!

will.i.am

Yeah, I don't think having her narrating it is a great idea - she's not really a victim and she went along with it all
I agree.

She didn't want to return to England because she knew they were in a lot of trouble.

I am happy for her that she's reconnecting with her sons.

bourb0nbiscuits

Chatty Member
Watched the dramatised programmes and felt quite sorry for Ann, think it was quite a sympathetic portrayal , but in the documentary where the Police, insurance company we’re giving their story , I definitely felt less sympathetic for her .

ElectricDreams

VIP Member
I got that John & Anne we’re from Collieries around Durham and had only recently moved to Seaton… so their accents wouldn’t be of a Teessider. However during the scenes with the Police (with Cleveland Police emblazoned in the background) not one of them spoke with a Teesside accent either. Didn’t even try 🤣

I still haven’t recovered from Karl Pilkington’s appearance either… couldn’t take him seriously haha!
Watching the documentary that aired after it, John didn't even seem to have a Northern accent at all though Anne did, it wasn't a Teesside accent (she spoke like my Aunty from Durham). However the police and the prison officers had strong Teesside accents so it would have been nice for that to be reflected in the show. Their accents were so generic it could have been set anywhere!

Reactions: 2

Kattykat10

VIP Member
Such a very bizarre couple. Enjoyed it but like others had it not been true I would have felt the programme was not believable.

Chunkeylaydee

VIP Member
I’m on holiday down in Hartlepool. We took a visit to Seaton Carew to the beach. Their 2 houses appear to be getting done up just now. They are huge houses compared to some along the sea front. Was it a status thing to JD to have such large houses, a Range Rover etc?

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
It's hard to believe that it wouldn't have been discovered at some point. Surely the sons may have wanted to visit their mum in Panama. It would have been a shock to them if they turned up and found their dad there.

Reactions: 1

amyy

VIP Member
I went to the real Darwin house on Sunday, it's just next to the Staincliffe hotel if anyone is local (I live down road!!), I think the shots outside the house are up at Hartlepool Headland

Reactions: 1