Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MrAllSeeingEye

VIP Member
I absolutely agree with this.View attachment 1586082
I’m not sure I do agree with this to be honest. Mourning the Queen doesn’t mean you can’t respect others who have lost loved ones? People die all the time, some at young ages which is obviously terrible, but she was the monarch for 70 years so of course it will get a lot of coverage. I don’t understand posts like this.

• Heart
Reactions: 72

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Can I just say (after a wine or two) that this thread is a pleasure to be part of. I always dipped in and out but the easy going nature of it and the lack of cliqeiness has been a joy. I do need to return to education on Monday, so just wanted to say

• Heart
Reactions: 55

Libbylulu

VIP Member
The Queue has reached the weather app 😂 I just love all the quirky Britishness that’s shining through all the mourning
A0CFFEF7-7645-4227-83FB-98EEC02DB597.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54

gossipgal21

VIP Member
Statement from Beatrice and Eugenie has just been released. So heartfelt. Very emotional reading it once again.
Screenshot_20220917_192049.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 54

anon60

My son cycled from work to see the queue and then bought some fruit to give to a small crowd

Proud mum

• Heart
Reactions: 53

Yel

Chatty Member
  • The queue is at least 24 hours
  • Vigil with the children is tonight
  • Vigil with grandchildren is tomorrow night
  • We're still wearing our black ribbons
  • Funeral starts at 11am Monday
  • Harry has been allowed to wear his uniform
  • Phillip and Holly skipped the queue
  • Charles is now carrying his own pen
  • Boiled sweets are being confiscated from grannies when they reach the front of the queue
  • Fergie is back
  • Teams are currently spending long days jetwashing the route to Windsor

• Haha
Reactions: 51

gossipgal21

VIP Member
I would pay an untold amount to never share a bathroom with a man again, and to have a giant bed to myself every night.

We had our honeymoon in America and the hotel room had 2 king size beds in it. Even on our honeymoon our biggest excitement was the fact we could have our own bed under the air conditioning each night. Love him to bits but also: get out of my way 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50

Twertle

I queued over night all in all 12 hours. The hardest part was definitely being told at 2.30am we wouldn’t be moving any further because there were rehearsals on Lambeth bridge and the hall was being closed for cleaning. It was freezing! The zig zag at the end is also a killer because you cannot sit down and by the time we got to the front of the queue I could hardly walk properly! But the minute I got into the hall I really forgot everything, it was like it wasn’t real. Just incredible and made the wait so worth it.

• Heart
Reactions: 49

Yel

Chatty Member
I wish sky news would talk about Phillip and Holly. Ask the people half way through their 24 hour wait with no sleep standing in the cold what they think of them 🍵

Reactions: 48

gossipgal21

VIP Member
I’m not sure I do agree with this to be honest. Mourning the Queen doesn’t mean you can’t respect others who have lost loved ones? People die all the time, some at young ages which is obviously terrible, but she was the monarch for 70 years so of course it will get a lot of coverage. I don’t understand posts like this.
yes agree. It’s not one or the other. My aunt (younger than HM by a good deal) died just before the Queen and I have been able to separate my feelings and feel sad / show respect about both in very different ways. Respecting the Queen for what she did for 70 years doesn’t mean people are not giving a damn about anyone else who has died.

• Heart
Reactions: 48

stardust21

VIP Member
right I need to ask this question as it’s been going through my head, I do love the royal family and I have felt saddened by the queens passing, But I don’t actually know much about the RF,
When people say the queen has done so much for us, what is that? That’s not a criticism that’s me asking as I don’t know what it is she has done.

I’m asking this because when you are around people who dislike the royal family, I don’t know any real facts to back them up on what they have have done and do to help out country
Edit: oh wow this was long, sorry! 🙈 these are obviously just my opinions, but I hope it helps @Im not ok 😊

I wouldn’t call myself a monarchist. I don’t believe that they have a divine right to rule over me. I don’t believe they are superior to me as people (especially Andrew), however I do believe that having a monarchy that is steeped in all of Britain’s history is a really good thing for our country politically.

Firstly, the Queen herself had 70 years of experience. Having had weekly meetings with the prime minister, by the time she’d been Queen for 20 years there was probably very little she hadn’t heard or seen. The PM can choose to ignore her guidance, but the fact she could offer it is a good thing IMO.

Politicians are short termist. They are only looking for the next election. The Queen can look long term and offer advice based on that.

World Leaders wanted to meet the Queen because of her history. Ireland, France etc all have elected Head of States, who hold little power, and essentially no one other than someone in that country could tell you who they are. Most World Leaders, and plenty of members of the public in those country’s too, can tell you who the Queen is. I believe over the next 100 years this will decrease as the Commonwealth continues to break up, but the links to the past do interest people.

On a public level in the UK, the Royal Family do a lot of charity work. Charles, as the Prince of Wales started the Princes’ Trust which is estimated to have helped over 1million young people get into work. It has been an invaluable resource for many young people in the more impoverished parts of society. I would be very surprised if William doesn’t continue this.

The Duke of Edinburgh started the Duke of Edinburgh Award, which has support all over the world. In the UK 100,000’s of young people have participated, learning skills which have helped them get jobs and build their confidence. It’s open to a wide range of people, and can really help build up confidence.

William, Kate and Harry started Heads Together, a major mental health innovation for young people. (I am not excluding Meghan from this to be vindictive. They started this before Harry met Meghan.) They’ve started text and call lines for people to get access to free help. They also spent a lot of time talking about climate change, and campaigning on this.
They get this from Charles who was 30 years before his time and has dedicated the Dutchy of Cornwall to being fully organic. They Dutchy has large farm lands all over the country and subsidies the farmers who work the land so they can earn a living will helping the environment.

The Queen herself has been the catalyst in many major political events. I still remember seeing her wearing green on the news in 2011 visiting Ireland as a sign of reconciliation. This was after years and years of troubles, and it was so poignant because the IRA had killed members of her family.

The Crown Estate is their land which has been given back to the public and includes over 1million acres of land around the country, including places like Regents Street in London. The Crown Estate brings in a lot more money to the country through revenue (rent, ticket sales to palaces etc) then we pay to fund the Royals through taxation.

I personally believe the fact that in order to become King or Queen in this day and age, where it doesn’t hold any power, is also a good thing for the country, because frankly, they don’t want the job. No one wants their parents to die. Charles said he was dreading this day and I believe him. We have people who believe they are doing a service to the country and our head of state rather than someone who has worked their way up and shat on people in order to get there, which I personally think is advantageous.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

Proof8

Chatty Member
To be fair to KC I personally believe he has always had a lot of time for people. I was at a walkabout he done in my local city for environmental initiative around 10 year ago. He had be shaking peoples hands for over a hour and his security kept trying to get him to leave but he insisted on getting to the end of the line and chatting with people.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

stardust21

VIP Member
As someone who banned phones in their wedding ceremony (not the reception obviously) I 100% agree with Charles asking his protection officers to ask people to put their phones away.

Firstly being faced with a wall of phones isn’t very nice, and it’s pretty impolite to shove a phone in someone’s face. But secondly, most people say that meeting royalty is something they always remember. If you’re just staring at your phone you’re not concentrating on being in the moment and he wants to have a conversation with people, you can’t do that if you’re just watching through your phone. Not everything needs to go on Instagram or TikTok.

Reactions: 41

Boring Monday

VIP Member
I wonder why Joe Biden has been allowed his convoy & yet other heads of state and dignitaries are having to get on coaches?
Because the coach is fun
they get a bag of crisps and a panda pop, sing Frère Jacques in a round with Trudeau and Macron and bagsy their seat for tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: 40

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Did anyone else hear on the news that someone was arrested for a sexual assault that happened while in the queue? 😮
Yes, a man exposed himself to two women and I also read he was pushing against the backs of people in the queue. He jumped in the Thames to escape the police.
Ridiculous we can even queue up to see the Queen’s coffin without a man sexually assaulting women.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 40