The Push - Murder on the Cliff

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wasn't going to watch this as I thought it was going to be the usual 2 part drama for a Sunday and Monday night then found out it was the actually Court trial as this is allowed in Scotland and Fawziyah Javed's mother wanted it shown on TV. Don't read the review below as does contain spoilers if you havn't watched it but it is a powerful story and I will not say anymore about it but you need to watch this.
I watched part 1 last night and was so involved in the story I made myself stay up and watch the second one on catch up - 2nd part is on tonight at 9pm.
Can't post it as it contains the verdict in the synopsis but the interview with her mother is on Radio Times website.

Reactions: 17
I watched both last night too. Both the barristers were on the BBC2 court programmes I think.

Reactions: 5
I haven’t watched part 2 yet but part 1 was really eye opening. I was already aware of the case as it’s local to me. Poor Fawziyah, she perished because of that violent jealous and insecure little man. He was incapable of accepting her having a career and her own thoughts . There is no honour in what he did.
Fawziyah’s mum is so brave.

Reactions: 18
Watched the first episode this afternoon and immediately had to watch the second part straight after poor fawziyah she literally married a monster who just wanted to control her and for her to just give up her life to obey him
her poor family having to sit and listen to all the details of her final moments
How brave was her mother for standing up in court and giving evidence and remaining dignified throughout whilst his family showed no remorse whatsoever heartbreaking 💔

Watching this now. Really interesting to see the real trial. I think cameras in court will soon be in English courts.

Reactions: 9
It was a hard watch indeed. I can't imagine how hard it must've been for Fawziyah to even have lived with that awful man AND his awful family in the first place - they were supporting their son every step of the way no matter what he did or how horribly he treated her.

My heart simply broke for Fawziyah's mother - what a lovely woman she is - she'll never get over losing her only child, and unborn grandchild. Just heartbreaking.

I was going to say 'if only Fawziyah had left him sooner and gone back to her mum' but I'm guessing that evil piece of tit wouldn't have stopped and sought her out until he ended her life somehow, anyway, no matter where she was living.

Reactions: 24
I think half the problem with honour based violence is how boys are treated from a young age. Can do no wrong, put on a pedestal, protected at all costs, to believe women are second class citizens. 20 years later and you have a monster.

• Heart
just putting under a spoiler for people who havent watched yet but i do wonder if faziyah knew he wouldnt stop until he killed her and thats why she was gathering all that evidence she left behind to get him, I know she was a lawyer but it turned out to be crucial in the end as without it I don't think he would have been convicted they still didn't get a unanimous verdict only a majority as it was and the fact she managed to tell that lady police officer that he pushed her she stayed strong right until the end 😪

• Sad
Reactions: 13
just putting under a spoiler for people who havent watched yet but i do wonder if faziyah knew he wouldnt stop until he killed her and thats why she was gathering all that evidence she left behind to get him, I know she was a lawyer but it turned out to be crucial in the end as without it I don't think he would have been convicted they still didn't get a unanimous verdict only a majority as it was and the fact she managed to tell that lady police officer that he pushed her she stayed strong right until the end 😪
I've just finished it. Every single piece of evidence was absolutely damning. How it wasn't unanimous is crazy. What a brave woman and what a strong family. I hope they can at least find some peace in his conviction. The witnesses were also incredible. I hope she and her baby are in Paradise. I'm not a religious person, but she was and for her, I hope Paradise exists.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I can’t believe his Dad said ‘she was our daughter not theirs’ 😡 he clearly covered for him. Disgusting.

I’m also surprised it wasn’t unanimous once they heard about him having the phone all along.

• Sad
Just heartbreaking, her family having to go through that, and his family not a decent bone in their bodies

Reactions: 10
I can’t believe his Dad said ‘she was our daughter not theirs’ 😡 he clearly covered for him. Disgusting.

I’m also surprised it wasn’t unanimous once they heard about him having the phone all along.
AND when he said he had bought the engagement ring because ‘she wanted a diamond’ and that he still hadn’t got it back from police yet 🤯🤯🤯

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
Just finished watching this, how utterly heartbreaking for her poor family and his family just make me sick they knew what he was like. I’m not surprised it was by majority as we can never be 100% certain he pushed her so there will always be someone with that view, thankfully the majority did give the correct verdict and probably down to her last words that he pushed her. Vile, horrible man laughing and smiling away in the dock!

Reactions: 15
Just finished this too. She sounded like a lovely woman and her family are amazing. I cried a few times when her Mum was speaking, but when she was doing that speech at the end, well it broke me.

Hope he rots.

• Heart
The pain just radiated off her poor Mom.What a terrible thing to lose your only child.Fawziyah hung on just long enough to tell the policewoman she was pushed,thank god,because I don't think he would've been convicted otherwise.

Reactions: 11
The pain just radiated off her poor Mom.What a terrible thing to lose your only child.Fawziyah hung on just long enough to tell the policewoman she was pushed,thank god,because I don't think he would've been convicted otherwise.
The grief was etched into her face. She’ll never get over it.

I hope he never gets out.

Reactions: 9
Just finished watching and sobbed the whole episode - absolutely horrific. What a horrible, abusive, evil man and the fact that even his legal representative said just as much speaks volumes!

Fawziyah‘s mum is such a lovely woman and you can just see how much she and the entire family loved Fawziyah and how much pain they are in. His family on the other hand - well the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree does it? I was boiling over with rage with his father’s attitude about the ring and saying that Fawziyah was their daughter now and not her family’s.

I sincerely hope that he is never released from prison and Fawziyah was so brave speaking out against him with her final breaths.
---
@shiny
I think half the problem with honour based violence is how boys are treated from a young age. Can do no wrong, put on a pedestal, protected at all costs, to believe women are second class citizens. 20 years later and you have a monster.
This, 100%. I obviously can’t speak for all families and it would be wrong to paint everyone with the same paintbrush, but I’m white British and I was married into a family from the same culture as him for many years and he reminded me a lot of my ex-husband and his family. He is the youngest out of all the siblings but the only boy and he controls his older sisters (all who are married and have families of their own, one of them is 40 whereas he isn’t even 30 yet!) and his mother to the point where if he tells them all to shut up they will not speak again until they are allowed to. As the only boy, he was raised to believe that he was right about everything, that everyone should obey him and never challenge him - well I wasn’t raised like that, I was raised in a very matriarchal family where women were at the top of the households and because I refused to obey his every word and his control - I ended up being the victim of horrendous domestic abuse which his family covered up and turned a blind eye to because of their reputation and not wanting to be embarrassed if people found out and how people would view them and their son. Unfortunately I think this will always be the case within certain cultures and that things are unlikely to ever change.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Fawziyah was completely trapped and failed by her culture. Going to belong to his family after marriage, what the hell is that about? That is a breeding ground for DV. I know her uncles are in pieces over this, feeling like they didn't protect her, and I know the marriage wasn't that long but I don't believe they didn't know anything the whole time her mother was desperately trying to get her away from that monster, and given her dad clearly disliked him immensely, they just stood back. Maybe they just didn't realise it would lead to her death so quickly.

I hope Anwar rots in jail. Hate his smug father too, who seems like he passed on his abusiveness to his evil son given how invisible his own wife appeared next to him, and all the horrible males in that family who are just like him.

Ingrid mentioned this but what evidence was she gathering? Her dying words at the scene, his actions with the phone, and the selfies which showed she had the phone at one point (and it was taken off her) were what got him convicted, not anything that happened before the hill. I don't think she thought he was going to kill her, because the way she talked about him putting the pillow over her face (??????) and punching it (?????????) was just nonchalant and why would she go up a hill at night with someone she thought would kill her and then tell him while she's there that she's leaving him?

Reactions: 5