Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mariemoo43

It will probably depend on the treatment required. I needed treatment to bring my jaw in to alignment and they had to do it BEFORE I’d stopped growing for it to be most effective, meaning they actually had to remove some of my baby teeth to allow the adult teeth to grow in enough to be removed so they could start. Even at that though I was still one of the last of my friends to have braces. I’m in Scotland and usually as long as all your adult teeth are through they will start the treatment. 13/14 is probably a really common age to have braces here.
We do have horrendous waiting lists here in wales which probably doesn’t help

My middle daughter needs braces, she’s 14 and already she’s had four checkups cancelled and put back repeatedly for a year now and she hasn’t even been put on a waiting list yet.

• Sad
Reactions: 4

MissWinnie

VIP Member
It must be dependent on area as where I am speech delays are not even looked into before 3yo and then there are waits to actually be seen

If your son is not talking by 2 and a half you need to get him assessed by a professional. My daughter used to say the odd word and now is completely Non verbal as she has severe ASD. We see a speech therapist weekly to work on methods to help her communicate.
It’s all well and good people stating that kids grow at different rates and they will catch up. But when it comes to things like speech, early intervention is vital. The longer you leave it the worse it will get. And there could be other reasons why they are delayed like hearing or something like autism. Children can mask some autistic traits.

Kimbo

Chatty Member
Isla can’t have orthodontic treatment until all her milk teeth are lost. It doesn’t matter if they go private or not thats how it works. I’m a qualified dental nurse and worked in orthodontics for years.
My son had fixed braces just shy of his 11 birthday and he had some deciduous teeth still in place. My daughter needs to wait until she is 12 and her jaw has grown. It really depends on the patient.

Princess 6

Chatty Member
My daughter was 16 before she got braces on the NHS and her over bite was worse than Islas.

They wouldn’t treat her before then as her jaw hadn’t stopped growing plus she had to have some adult teeth removed in order to have it fitted
Congenitally she has 9 adult teeth missing (was born without them) and also they wanted to perform surgery on her jaw too but she’s refused that one.

Most nhs dentists won’t fit braces before 15 or 16 unless possibly you have the money to go private which we didn’t.

Just wanted to point that out
My Daughter was the same didnt get them to over 16 she had to wait until her jaw stopped growing

Sunseeker

3 year wait ? . That is crazy ! . Like I said before I got mine when I was 10 but that was in the 90's way before the pandemic. I feel sorry for her. Do you think she is in any pain ?
She is in pain now they have been fitted, hopefully that passes. Teeth didn't bother her at all beforehand. They will look better and make her feel more confident when they are straighter.

Reactions: 3

Gotmepopcorn

Chatty Member
Why does Sarah’s face seem so much thinner
did I understand that correctly ... Isla has trouble to tie her shoe laces tight???? What is her age again?
No bragging but I'm pretty sure my parents taught that to me before kindergarten...

They need to focus on manners, basic things and less on baubles and putting your surname on a plastic tree!
Ahh, the 3rd child.... made to grow up too fast but made too feel like a baby too long.

Reactions: 3