The disappearance of Claudia Lawrence

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finally managed to finish reading that this morning. It’s quite..erm..detailed, isn‘t it?
I have to say I wasn’t prepared for the last sentence of the article and re-read it a couple of times 😅 Still can’t work out why it ends like this??

1716403131024.png

Other than that I found it interesting to read. Can anyone recommend any good books about the case?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Tring as in down south? how weird.

Those psychics are absolute vultures.

I would love to know more about the people who were her 'close friends' from the pub who were under suspicion.

I know there is one called Jen King who is interviewed on the podcast, tbh she sounded devastated but even then I think she knows more than she is saying. And another is called Suzy who has done an interview with the Yorkshire post. But who were the rest?

The two blokes that were arrested, one for her murder one for perverting the course of justice (he was a landlord of a local pub) and neither charge stuck.

Then theres these 4 people who CPS wont give them permission to charge. who could that be?
Thank you for starting this thread. So it seems that there is likely to be a conspiracy of people behind this?

Sometimes it can take many years to get justice for a murder victim. I was reading about Caroline Glachan’s killers only being brought to justice at the beginning of this year and Caroline’s friends said that they have known full well all these years who probably killed Caroline and had to see them walking the streets, free. One of them had died and was never brought to justice.

Reactions: 7
Thank you for starting this thread. So it seems that there is likely to be a conspiracy of people behind this?

Sometimes it can take many years to get justice for a murder victim. I was reading about Caroline Glachan’s killers only being brought to justice at the beginning of this year and Caroline’s friends said that they have known full well all these years who probably killed Caroline and had to see them walking the streets, free. One of them had died and was never brought to justice.
knowing the evidence threshold even to arrest is fairly high, they must have stuff on these four men. Maybe phone records, locations, interview answers.

I reckon everyone who was part of the 'lock in crew' knows something.

Reactions: 11
I have to say I wasn’t prepared for the last sentence of the article and re-read it a couple of times 😅 Still can’t work out why it ends like this??

View attachment 2951486

Other than that I found it interesting to read. Can anyone recommend any good books about the case?
I've always taken it to be part of some sort of confliction she felt writing it. I might be well off but I get the impression she was hugely affected by Claudia’s disappearance (I think I would be in her situation too) and it plays on her mind.

There is such an enormous amount of info in the article and it jumps a bit in places. Almost like when on a train of thought, she needs to get everything out so she doesn't miss anything. I also think she feels guilty for talking about Claudia in a way that could be seen as negative, even though she doesn't actually say anything bad. In fact, her description presents Claudia as quite lovely really; daft and a bit naive but well liked and maybe a bit lost.

I think there's only been one book published, 'Gone' which was about 5 years ish after she went missing. It's possible I've missed others though.

Reactions: 4
Sorry came here from the true crime thread - is there a new podcast/programme about her?

Reactions: 1
This case has always fascinated me; I grew up not far from York. I was always under the impression that everyone knew who had done it but the police were unable to make any arrests due to the wall of silence?

Sorry came here from the true crime thread - is there a new podcast/programme about her?
Yes, it’s called ‘Answers for Claudia’ but it’s not available for free on the streaming services. One poster signed up for a free trial and shared some insights in this thread and the Real Crime thread.

I read on a reddit post a long time ago about this case and there was a local person on there saying that everyone (including the police) know what happened, who did it etc but nobody would speak because of the risk of what would happen to them if they did and that the police were basically waiting for someone to crack so they'd have enough evidence.
I just had a quick look but I can't find the post 😫

Reactions: 9
I read on a reddit post a long time ago about this case and there was a local person on there saying that everyone (including the police) know what happened, who did it etc but nobody would speak because of the risk of what would happen to them if they did and that the police were basically waiting for someone to crack so they'd have enough evidence.
Yes I vividly remember reading this post too!

Reactions: 4
That is exactly what the podcast insinuates - that there is a lot of threatening going on behind the scenes to stop people from talking.

I don't know who in that 'lock in group' of friends would warrant enough power to keep everyone quiet for 15 years.

There's some vague thread in that blog post about fake cigarettes being taken to Cyprus too - but I think that might be a red herring, although that comes up a bit - that someone was picking up 'vans' and taking them abroad around the time of her disappearance.

Reactions: 3
One thing I think is really strange is if her friend, Jen King, is married to or in a relationship with one of the men arrested, why would you stay with him?
The police must have a decent amount of evidence to arrest him, just not enough to charge?
It also makes her statement (at least I think it was her) saying that statistically it was one of Claudia's friends even more chilling.

I found this article on reddit. Another medium article and is quite long but I'm trying to wade my way through it. The two siblings are mentioned in here and it was through a discussion on reddit about how the Locals knew it was this person that I found the article (again could just be rumours!)

This is why I love Tattle! You can find information on here that you don’t see anywhere else. I am on the last episode of ‘Answers for Claudia’. And yeah, this is an even stranger case than it appears from the available info in the mainstream news. I agree with whoever it was who said that Claudia’s mum is naive to think that a Christian upbringing would mean someone doesn’t have an affair. I went to a catholic school where the girls had to hide their sexual relationships from their religious parents.

Anyway, what are they hinting at about Claudia’s dad? It’s so strange. Also the friend who said it was likely to be one of them. Because surely that means that she must have been aware of conflict?

One thing I think is really strange is if her friend, Jen King, is married to or in a relationship with one of the men arrested, why would you stay with him?
The police must have a decent amount of evidence to arrest him, just not enough to charge?
It also makes her statement (at least I think it was her) saying that statistically it was one of Claudia's friends even more chilling.

I found this article on reddit. Another medium article and is quite long but I'm trying to wade my way through it. The two siblings are mentioned in here and it was through a discussion on reddit about how the Locals knew it was this person that I found the article (again could just be rumours!)

Blimey and I thought the other article was long! There's so many things wrong with the way they put things across. They talk in definites about hypothetical scenarios an awful lot.

There is some useful information in there but you have to wade through a lot of guff to find it.

I did a lot of eye rolling at the CCTV analysis. I'd love to know who their 'friend who is really good at CCTV' is and why they don't seem to know that not all footage displays a time stamp. I'd also love to know how they came up with the vehicle speed (not convinced they'd get an accurate frame rate from a snippet of Police released footage no matter what software they put it in).

Relevant, or at least interesting bits of info (just my opinion obviously) are her behaviour when drunk and yet another account of her naivety and the 'dodgy' mates with connection to other countries she's seems to have collected.

I'm not really convinced the builder/locksmith brothers have anything to do with her disappearance. I'd be more inclined to think she found out something she shouldn't or pissed the wrong person off. I've also begun to wonder if she had some sort of drug issue which isn't something I've thought before.

In amongst that horror of an article there are some laugh of loud moments. The highlights were the photo captions, which included: "some houses in xx Rd have driveways" and the gem that is a close up of two mens foreheads labelled "fringes". I also love the fact they were astounded that not one single person batted an eyelid when they walked into the Nag's Head and ordered a pint of cider just like Claudia used to drink. Yeah, 'cos no-one has ordered that since 2009 have they mate. They did at least have the decency not to play 'Your Song' on the jukebox that wasn't there anymore though.

I'd really love to compare all the different blog posts out there because it's so interesting but I think it would be a full time job 😆.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Thank you for starting this thread, I recently watched a Missing type documentary on Claudia (not sure if it was on My5 or iPlayer) and it piqued my interest.

I've always had the impression that the police have a good idea of what happened to Claudia and who was responsible, but they haven't managed to get enough evidence together. The later appeals strongly indicate that at least two people are believed to be responsible, and that police are hoping that a relationship or alliance will shift and one will do the dirty on the other. Unfortunately, if this is true, it might take the death of one of them for this to happen.

What did you all make of the final episode in the podcast, where they talk about a woman who came forward and alleged that her ex-partner, who was violent to her blurted out one day that he could make her disappear just like he did Claudia Lawrence. She said that she believed the man lurking in the CCTV footage was also this man. And she also said that he was a smoker and smoked with both his left and right hand.

What did you all make of the final episode in the podcast, where they talk about a woman who came forward and alleged that her ex-partner, who was violent to her blurted out one day that he could make her disappear just like he did Claudia Lawrence. She said that she believed the man lurking in the CCTV footage was also this man. And she also said that he was a smoker and smoked with both his left and right hand.
As I mentioned up thread, I think it was dangerous of him to publicise that information. She's too recognisable.

I'm not sure what to make of the info itself. I'd be inclined to not give much weight to what her ex actually said because people blurt out all sorts of stuff and that could just be a general threat that someone unpleasant would say. But... she says he walks like the CCTV suspect and gives a good account of why she believes it.

He also smokes and with both hands (but so do loads of people)

It's a difficult one but if I were the podcast person, I wouldn't have published her account, not given she'd already had police contact.

That’s a really good point! I hope that woman is safe. Yes, one thing that did strike me is the way this man said ‘the gypsies’ took Claudia away which is insight into the mindset of a man with bigoted attitudes as well as being a domestic abuser. Unfortunately there are a lot of men who hurt women out there.