The Coil

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have the mirena fitted and I love it! I would never go back to the pill again. I actually forget I have the coil fitted no mood swings etc compared to the pill I could always tell I was on it more emotional/angry etc. No periods which is amazing! My friend came round the other month and wanted to borrow some tampons and was amazed I don’t even have any in the house 😂
I haven’t had kids so it does hurt getting it fitted not going to lie but it is only for a few seconds. I got really bad period pain for a few hours after but that’s it really. Same when I had it took out (on my second one) really painful for a few seconds when they open your cervix and then bad cramps for a few hours afterwards. I wouldn’t try and do anything after getting it put it just to home and chill. However totally worth it lasts five years, everyone I know who has it loves it! A few of my friends are scared to get it done but for me so much better than the pill and I would know I tried about 20 different ones 😂

Ok so.. I had my coil fitted this week! I didn’t feel a thing. Literally nothing. No pain or anything. Some small cramps after but minor and didn’t last long. I’m so pleased. Let’s see how I get on with it :)

Reactions: 6
I've had the Mirena in for a month now. I was on the mini pill for 3 years with no periods. Swapped for the Mirena (continued with pill for 7 days crossover) but since then I'm bleeding all the time. No pain, just bleeding that's either very light pink, or dark brown. Sometimes its very heavy, usually quite light. Please tell me this will calm down soon?
Previously had the copper coil (about 6 years ago) and bled constantly and heavy for months so praying this wont happen!!

I had the coil ( without hormones) about 7 years ago. Nothing but pain throughout. Latest about 8 months then asked for it to be taken out

I've had the Mirena in for a month now. I was on the mini pill for 3 years with no periods. Swapped for the Mirena (continued with pill for 7 days crossover) but since then I'm bleeding all the time. No pain, just bleeding that's either very light pink, or dark brown. Sometimes its very heavy, usually quite light. Please tell me this will calm down soon?
Previously had the copper coil (about 6 years ago) and bled constantly and heavy for months so praying this wont happen!!
This was my experience with the mirena. I had a copper one for 5 years without any issues. Had thAt removed tHen had my youngest child. Afterwards went on to the Mirena but bled constantly for 8 months - I kept persevering under my drs orders in the hope that it would settle but it didn’t. In the end I had it removed and went back to the copper.
Apparently it’s rare but can happen to some
I hope it does settle for you as so many have them with no problems at all 🤞

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Yes when I first had the mirena fitted I would bleed mainly spotting for the first few months but since then I don’t bleed at all

Going back many years - I had a coil fitted and the midwife said to me just before my son was born - wonder if the baby will have it (the coil) in its hand :D

I had the Mirena in for about 3 months and had that kind of bleeding constantly. It gave me night sweats and many other symptoms too, so I had it taken out. Have to stress I do not get on with any kind of hormonal contraceptive. Thought Mirena might be different as it is a small dose in the uterus but it made me miserable.

• Sad
I had the Mirena in for about 3 months and had that kind of bleeding constantly. It gave me night sweats and many other symptoms too, so I had it taken out. Have to stress I do not get on with any kind of hormonal contraceptive. Thought Mirena might be different as it is a small dose in the uterus but it made me miserable.
Yes when I first had the mirena fitted I would bleed mainly spotting for the first few months but since then I don’t bleed at all
This was my experience with the mirena. I had a copper one for 5 years without any issues. Had thAt removed tHen had my youngest child. Afterwards went on to the Mirena but bled constantly for 8 months - I kept persevering under my drs orders in the hope that it would settle but it didn’t. In the end I had it removed and went back to the copper.
Apparently it’s rare but can happen to some
I hope it does settle for you as so many have them with no problems at all 🤞
Thanks for your replies. Praying this works, hopefully the bleeding will stop soon as other than that its great. No other side effects or symptoms. Seems to be a mixed bag though

Reactions: 2
Had Mirena coils from my mid thirties to late fifties. No periods at all. Just had last one removed as I’m now now 59. Was great.

Had Mirena coils from my mid thirties to late fifties. No periods at all. Just had last one removed as I’m now now 59. Was great.

Just the woman I need!

I'm 54 and my coil needs changing at the end of the year. Do I just leave it in? Or get it changed to cover another 5 years?

Has anyone had c-sections and not had any pain with the coil? I’ve literally had spectrums and sweeps and inductions etc but for some reason I’m terrified of getting it!

Just the woman I need!

I'm 54 and my coil needs changing at the end of the year. Do I just leave it in? Or get it changed to cover another 5 years?
I was told by my doctor to just leave it in. Which I did quite successfully. But a friend got different advice - she was told she needed a new one! Sorry, I’m not much help am I ? Xx

Has anyone had c-sections and not had any pain with the coil? I’ve literally had spectrums and sweeps and inductions etc but for some reason I’m terrified of getting it!
Me! I’ve had 2 csections. Both my labours I got to 4cm and had to have emergency sections (both for diff reasons).

I literally did not feel a thing. Nothing at all! I was petrified in the waiting room and honestly it was nothing.

Me! I’ve had 2 csections. Both my labours I got to 4cm and had to have emergency sections (both for diff reasons).

I literally did not feel a thing. Nothing at all! I was petrified in the waiting room and honestly it was nothing.
Fab - exactly what I needed to hear! I got to 4cm too for my first so think that will help 😅😂 Thank you! Hoping my GP are fitting them at the moment as have really psyched myself up to get it xxx

• Heart
Fab - exactly what I needed to hear! I got to 4cm too for my first so think that will help 😅😂 Thank you! Hoping my GP are fitting them at the moment as have really psyched myself up to get it xxx
Mine was done by my GP.

Honestly, go for it! I wish I did it sooner! xx

I was told by my doctor to just leave it in. Which I did quite successfully. But a friend got different advice - she was told she needed a new one! Sorry, I’m not much help am I ? Xx

Gosh, don't be silly xx