The Chateau Diaries #90 They have no freaking idea what they're doing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am confused. They have the ornamental pear in the walled garden (the do have fruit but a little berry that my possums used to like but you cannot eat it or do anything with it really ) and you are right ... ornamental pears grow up , up , up .
Are they are having fruiting pears in the courtyard?? Around the fountain ?? or against the walls of the Chateau??
I think it may look weird plus Her Majesty thinks LaLaLand is a GRAND Chateau and fruiting pears just looks too "cottagey" .
The trellises are already in place. @StudioCityXtra knew the trees will be linden. Not pear trees.
1638334362020.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
It really shows how skewed her priorities are. Rather than hire a plumber to fix the heating, she blows a bunch of money on plants that will probably die from being planted too late in the year.
And she spend a tit ton on Dyson heaters and OIL heaters (the environment thanks you) and is still doing everything ass backwards.

I actually hope she is pregnant-so she gets to know what it is to have someone who MUST come before she does or the whole world will understand exactly what a shallow selfish witch she is.

• Heart
The PROBLEM with all of the gardening is that you need a dedicated staff, with an office, and a schedule, and the proper equipment, and the proper tools, and with the proper education and training to manage that amount of forest, garden, and landscaping. Two people, part time, cannot get it done. Nature doesn’t wait. All of these things need to be done at the proper time under the proper conditions. I live in a part of the world that has a year round growing season. Trees, lawns, beds and shrubs take a huge amount of time. Fussing with annuals and vegetables is an endeavor that only yields rewards once. If you build/plant a garden area, you then have to maintain it. They can’t even maintain mostly grass. The moat was overgrown. The hedges were out of control. Half the garden was a trash heap. They don’t appear to know how to use mulch to control weeds. They don’t appear to know how to fertilize anything. There are trees all over the place that could kill people by just randomly falling down.

Maybe with water and compost and forest management guy they can do a better job next year. But damn. It was pretty hard to watch this year. I don’t understand why she can’t at least buy twenty big planters and go to the garden center and plant those suckers out and put them on the crappy terrace. It currently looks like a terrace you’d find at the back of an abandoned building. Don’t even get me started on the front of the place.

I also don’t recall seeing a tiller once. How can you have a vegetable garden and not have a tiller? She lives in the middle of farmland. How are they not able to grow anything?
Agreed. Also, friends don't let friends plant annuals. ;) I don't have a tiller, but all of my veg are grown in raised beds that are staked with bamboo and covered with bird netting and my garden is small enough for me to manage on my own. Her tree guy has made some decent headway, he certainly has his job cut out for him. It's disheartening that she's been there for 16 years and the front and back of the farmhouse still look crap and it's taken this long to do any forest management or to get rid of the overgrowth in the moat. I have to take a tree down this week, all the leaves finally came off of it so it's safer for me to have a go with my chainsaw...I will not be wearing heels to accomplish this task.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
:oops: Linden trees can grow over 70 feet tall....can only imagine what that huge root system will do to their septic pipes under the front courtyard!!! Common sense prevails I see. It's ok Fanny... mental retardation is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Depends which sort of Linden tree-- there are 30 species of them including bushes, but generally that's what you plant to line your mile long driveway with, not what you put around your fountain out front. You can pleach them, and that seems to be what they intend here....if you look at google images at Tilia cordata, you'll see plenty of examples but with the pipes out front, that's probably not a good tree to have out there, especially without a dedicated & trained garden staff for maintenance. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Covering the walls in wooden paneling was the style of the times. In a farmhouse, it most likely wasn't the highly decorative sort she bought to install since the ceilings are beamed and low. Ornate paneling would have gone in a room with tall and most likely coffered ceilings. The lady of the farmhouse had more than a few months to call in professionals to sort her heating out, it's definitely on her. Instead of getting things done in the fall before the first freeze when everyone needs a plumber, this silly woman waited until the last minute. Now that you mention it, the new fellow does remind me of snorts a little with the towel on his head.🤣

Don't hold your breath. It snowed overnight, their lows overnight are below freezing, it doesn't bode well for the plants. Those trees should have been put in the ground mid-October at the latest. If they survive, they will have frost damage. I don't know how well they could have been (if they even were) watered in after going in the ground. :rolleyes:
I don't understand why they planted them now.

Seems I'm not alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
I don't understand why they planted them now?
It's a mystery. I think it was @Arfarf who suggested that perhaps Davey had a list and madame was late in ordering the plants? If she is responsible for ordering the plants, It's not that difficult to write out "Do not order plants past this date" and give a cut off. Since she didn't know how many plants were on the pallets, I suspect she wasn't the one who did the ordering.

The trellises are already in place. @StudioCityXtra knew the trees will be linden. Not pear trees.
View attachment 898398
If they proceed & succeed with this ridiculous plan, they're going to end up blocking the views from he windows directly behind the espaliered trees as well as obstruct the top of the fountain.. The trees will also attract nesting birds. I have to sleep now...the stupidity of inappropriate planting is making my head hurt.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I thought her ears was a quirk of nature and i didnt want to comment on them because i dont like to refer to peoples appearances when they cant help it.. Who would get their ears done like that!
But we don't know whether they are natural, do we? :unsure: Either way, ears are ears. And I am all ears to hear what my fellow tartlets have to say!:love:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
If they proceed & succeed with this ridiculous plan, they're going to end up blocking the views from he windows directly behind the espaliered trees as well as obstruct the top of the fountain.. The trees will also attract nesting birds. I have to sleep now...the stupidity of inappropriate planting is making my head hurt.
And when the trees get established they suck all the nutrients and shade the flowerbeds to death 🤭

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
You’re right! I hadn’t thought of that. From the windows, it does appear the trees will block the view of the fountain. I wouldn’t have planted espaliered trees there.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Back to the gift of the piano for her 15th birthday - I thought she stopped playing piano at a young age. And the piano in her office was her old teacher's (I may be incorrect there).

Reactions: 15
They are unbelievable. She actually said that they don't want to go begging to the bank, no, they just want to beg from strangers. They are totally immoral and do those would be supporters know the real reason they don't want to go to the bank? The fact is that she was declared bankrupt!

I wonder if she had her ears done in Turkey; they are so strange. She is daft enough to want to look like an elf; they really don't look natural at all!
Someone posted pictures of her taken a few years ago, as I thought the same, but her ears were pointed before she went to Turkey.. She's had them altered definitely and I think it's to do with the fantasy world she likes to live in.

Where can we see how much money they've raised?
If you go back into the vlog with Stephanie on you tube, the link to kickstarter is in the blurb to the vlog and it shows any changes if you click on it.

Reactions: 11
I don't understand why they planted them now.

Seems I'm not alone.
IT's not quite clear, based on the facial hair, it was already November, so a bit too late. And I agree, where were the instructions? Dan is self-taught and not an expert gardener, rather the handyman improvising as he goes along. This is going to be another flop in a couple of years.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
You can plant trees any time from late autumn to early spring in Europe. You can't plant them if the ground is frozen hard or temperatures are extremely low. .Its not too cold at the moment. The trees will be dormant and should be fine. They should take well and start growing in the spring. I would have taken the burlap and wire off though unless they are trying to restrict the size.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.