The Chateau Diaries #48 No longer Doing It himself. Just doing everyone else

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live in a place where the locals are off the grid, windmills, solar, own meat, all that, because they don't have the money to do anything else. The first generation of hippies came and went -- the boys, who'd been lying around smoking dope and saying we're gonna be rock stars, to rehab, the girls, who'd been working the all night shifts at the route 666 diner, cooking, cleaning and having babies, to law school. Now really well informed greens with cottage industry tech skills are making a real go of it blogging, selling their patented gizmos on line, and engineering much more friendly solutions than Strawbridge imposes. The whole waterwheel nonsense, please. One more solar panel and the house, kettle, hot water heater, under floor radiant heat, etc., would have been taken care of. Like the pigs, and the outhouse, he did it because he could and it would piss off his wife. There were better composting toilet solutions all over the internet in 2006.

Reactions: 11
"Tell me with whom you associate, and I will tell you who you are."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Reactions: 33
I have to add, INEBG makes clear that Dick would do anything for anybody who let him eat a diet of wine and pure lard. Angel had a tea room. Not an organic squash in sight. I will never forget the glimpse I got on ETTC of his sisters and mother who together could send the Bismarck to the bottom of the sea just by boarding it.

Reactions: 21
Its a shocking disease , worst than the heart failure. Mum was so angry all the time and now she is in peace.

Great insight from all of you with experience in dementia.
My 88 year old mother is my "patient" 4 days a week. ( I cut back my hours at my salon to be her caretaker)
It can be a very rough, exasperating time.
BUT...she still knows who I am!!!
We can look back now and see how her symptoms started a good 10 years ago.
She has been on the strongest dose of Aricept now for many years.
It is sad and frustrating that no real headway has been made in the prevention or treatment for Alzheimer's for the past 20 years really- as millions more will be suffering from this disease by 2030.

Reactions: 27
Angel used to be quite slim then. (Dragon's Den time). Meanwhile the whole "new" Strawbridge family is veering towards an unhealthy BMI. Of course our choice of diet is no one's business, and I know we are not discussing children here. It is, however, up to us adults to set an example for our children with regards to healthy eating habits and good health.

Reactions: 17
[
I recertly tried to find this show because I was curious about Dick’s start but could only find parts of the initial episode-thanks to all for discussing it a bit-sounds as if it was interesting
I've just taken a look on YouTube. Lots of episodes on there. Basically ETTCDIY but in the UK and on a smaller scale (even down to a new heating system DS designed). Wierd seeing DS with his 1st wife. Very, very different to AS as Dippy Hippy stated. Must have been great to watch in it's day, but I just get the 'hang on a minute, havn't I seen this before' kinda feeling

Reactions: 8
LOL. While I agree 100% with everything, the best sex can be when you despise the other person. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 7
I carried over the detachment into everyday life, so I very much understand not showing feelings and emotions. I’ve been told I’m hard to read. My kids often think I’m mad at them, I keep telling them ”this is just how my face looks”, I‘ve also had to explain this to a teacher during conferences. My husband will often ask “what’s wrong?” And I have a keen ability to tune people out. I call it a gift, but it’s very annoying to those around me. I have to remind myself to smile more to counteract my resting bitch face. I rarely cry or get angry, unless I’ve held it in for too long. You develop interesting coping mechanisms in this type of work. With Steph, I think her go to was put on a smile and a show, and bounce around the chateau to make the bad feelings go away. She talks about her life, living in the nursing home with enthusiasm like it was a magical experience, but I don’t believe it was at all like that in reality. Being she was young, she probably developed her own way of coping, and it wasn’t healthy. The way she acts, on camera at least, is very robotic. It’s like she forces herself to show emotion. The over the top goodbyes seem like an act, as she says she’s sad, but never actual sadness on her face. There‘s a tone in her voice when she announces someone leaving that sounds like she‘s trying to be sad but comes off a bit cheerful or condescending. I feel like there’s this constant loop in her brain saying “smile through the pain”, if I were to believe that this is her real life personality, but it’s probably more like “smile for the camera”. But I could be giving her way to much credit! Maybe there are people who are really upbeat and positive all the time, I don’t personally know any, but I like to think they’re out there.

Reactions: 25
You have my utmost respect and sympahy Having experienced dementia with both parents and now my Brother, who is in the early stages, I too am amazed there's no advancement in treatment. One theory is that it's too lucrative for the big pharma's, who knows?
Good Luck with your Mum, I know it's hard, but how lovely she recognises you still. Mine did too, which always amazed and comforted me

Agree. DS clearly loves his grub, he researches it, grows it, cooks and eats it (very well I might add). Even appeared on Masterchef (came 2nd I believe??). My Husband is similar. The only problem being that he likes to feed me too and it's diificult to turn down nice food he's been out and shopped for, restaurent visits, glasses of vino, the crisps and peanuts he gets out etc etc.
I'd imagine a similar scenario in the Strawbridge household. I am currently 10lbs over weight !! I must get a grip (as must Hubby).
Perhaps I should hire Marie for month. There's never, ever anything I like that she cooks. Well maybe the vat of hummus, but that's it

Last edited:
Reactions: 24
I recertly tried to find this show because I was curious about Dick’s start but could only find parts of the initial episode-thanks to all for discussing it a bit-sounds as if it was interesting
He has also been part of a cooking series with his eldest son.
I have met him in Cornwall, very sincere and interesting chap.
Personally like their brand and business sense.
I also enjoy Dick and Angel's new one regarding helping others solve their DIY dilemmas seem a bit more personal and hands on.

I must have the male equivalent then. Many times I just tune out and retain pertinent facts. My teachers used to hate me for it.

Maybe after the spit-roasting video of them with Michael leaks, they can raise their rates.

I think the truth is out there.

Golf?! She scored a hole in one with that remark. She's on a sticky wicket there or maybe she threw a googly?
I reckon the only golf she plays is at the 19th hole.

Reactions: 14
It takes very special people to provide this type of care to a parent, I can’t even imagine. I was able to detach. As her child, you can’t form that separation because you’re caring for a loved one. It’s wonderful that she knows who you are! I hope that continues for years to come. It was suspected that my grandma had it much earlier than when she was diagnosed, as it’s a disease that can easily be masked in the early years. Grandma knew how to make it look like just forgetfulness, old age, and the like, in the beginning. It wasn’t until she started forgetting how to do everyday things, like where to put groceries, or not using laundry detergent when washing clothes, putting things in random places when she cleaned. That’s when it started to unmask and something more than “old age” was going on. It’s 2021, you’d sure think there would have been more development in the treatment and more information on what causes it, it seems to based more on theory than anything else.

Reactions: 12
"Tell me with whom you associate, and I will tell you who you are."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
How true. What a bunch. A chamber of horrors! I see there's a fan who also thinks it's "greatful"! Maybe it's Marie posing as a fan!

Reactions: 15
I am not sure those were his motives, to piss off his wife at the time. There has been several 'eco type' series in the UK over the past couple of decades which have seen a shift in public consciousness to a 'make do and mend ' philosophy.
There are also a plethora of alternative explorations of living off the grid and a boom in the grow your own food and permiculture.

Where I think his earlier programme fitted in,was that it really isn't a lifestyle you can just buy. It is trial and error and not easy to live that life. So yes, there may have been better kind of composting toilet available, but thinking about it, the internet boom has only taken off in the last decade. What we have at our fingertips now was not available to all then. Most would have gone to the local library or bought a book. A show which highlighted the pitfalls, was a boon to those who wanted to start but had no idea how to.

He has cross dressed since day one. Remember Stephanie never had any presents growing up in the Dementia Ward. Now she has a real life doll to dress! And abuse! And to grow tired of playing with! And finally discard!

It's her silly little skippy run that really irritates me. Clearly intended to try to. show her childlike joy.
Yes, and on occasions, she actually jumps up and down and claps her hands!

You are my hero. I am sending you a dose of . Your mother raised a wonderful, funny and compassionate women. The world could benefit with more people like you.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.