The Chateau Diaries #48 No longer Doing It himself. Just doing everyone else

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New thread titles...
1. The Tango Chateau is on fire but the water hoses are dry...
2. Too many cooks in the Chateau kitchen, who's leaving next?
3. How many grifters can 1 Chateau hold?
How about "Chateau Rentboys - it takes two to Tango"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I see Dan as more of a realist observing the fluffy, mythical world of Lalande. He is no fawning peasant doffing his cap to the gentry, as in Downton Abbey. I think he gets on with SJ, there's quite a bit of banter between them, but he can see the reality of life there with its problems, and mismanagement, but as he has made it clear, he has signed a non disclosure agreement, now SJ has a following on YouTube and is on a TV programme. They need to keep the fantasy of love and laughter going. The perfect world of Lalande.

I used to, many years ago, work in the gardens of a castle, owned by a couple of aristos fallen on hard times. Death duties swallowed the inheritance. The lady of the house wore charity shop clothes, the husband squeezed into his dead grandfather's suit for occasions, only a couple of rooms were heated in winter. You get the picture. They had gorgeous gardens, and so opened the gardens to the public with cream teas and later a farm shop. The reality was still far from the idyll the public saw, as the house was deathly cold in winter, the revenue paid the bills, but money was tight. There were still the problems of large old buildings to deal with, rodents, water ingress, roof tiles coming off in storms, rising damp, failing radiators, cold and estate staff wages to find every month . Lord knows how they've managed over lockdowns., but at least they had a nice place to be confined in, unlike many poor folk during the pandemic.
I wouldn't want to inherit or buy one of these old places. The house owns you, you don't own the house. Nowhere near as many people would subscribe to a vlog about the reality of Lalande without "the magic" thrown in. I think Stephanie just hit the zietgeist, the pandemic left a lot of people isolated and lacking in hope and joy. She is very personable, enthusiastic, beautiful , good at vlogging, despite the "narcissistic" personality and the manipulation she pulls off, and she made the early vlogs so interesting. Maybe this popularity will recede as the pandemic recedes?
Dan is a pragmatist, he wants his job, but he really needs to keep it now for his YouTube content, as his channel is taking off. He will have a certain loyalty to SJ, if only for his increasing subscribers. His vlogs wouldn't work without the chateau. SJ is smart enough to see how popular Dan and his family are. It helps her vlogs to have him featuring the chateau in his trendy vlogs . They have a symbiotic relationship. He'll be fine.
When you end up making more money from YouTube and Patreon than doing gardening that becomes a problem. Like all these B-listers they’re handed 10k subs on the release of their first video. The reason why he’s an opportunist is he has taken to the vlogging, invested and run with it. If he started vlogging as a gardener DIY guy in France off the bat with an iPhone and no connection with SJ he wouldn’t even have 1k subs. No money coming in and have given up by now. He owes everything to SJ and I’m saying there’s a fine line he has to ride in order to stay sweet and not get bigger than the hand that feeds.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
When you end up making more money from YouTube and Patreon than doing gardening that becomes a problem. Like all these B-listers they’re handed 10k subs on the release of their first video. The reason why he’s an opportunist is he has taken to the vlogging, invested and run with it. If he started vlogging as a gardener DIY guy in France off the bat with an iPhone and no connection with SJ he wouldn’t even have 1k subs. No money coming in and have given up by now. He owes everything to SJ and I’m saying there’s a fine line he has to ride in order to stay sweet and not get bigger than the hand that feeds.
He doesn't owe SJ sheot. Sorry, he could have had subs without her and gotten somewhere. If anything SJ is an opportunist by scamming her viewers out of their hard earned money.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think the next title is in this post by @Espe , right?
Tasteless tango, Teabag in turmoil and tearful Tatiana in Turkey.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
She couldn't even handle getting the doorknob on the backdoor fixed? In sixteen years? Really? Couldn't be bothered is more like it, as it's the door furthest from her private quarters
Is her golden bathtub that cost thousands the only tub in the chateau? I would be embarrassed to know if I was the only one in the whole massive heap that has multiple people also living there, to be able to have a bath… in that tub no less!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.