Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

adbreakover

So I’ve had this on my mind for a while..it’s not necessarily only Anne this applies to, Lily too, and many of the old school youtubers surely. Here comes my rant.

I started watching Annes videos in my early teens, and now both she and I are married with kids. Somewhere along the way, I think the Newtons just fell completely out of touch with reality. It happened so slowly that it took me a good while to realize.. In the end, it was the overpriced planner that arrived in my mailbox three months into the year that did it for me..and from then on, in every video I watched she would always have at least one comment that threw me off by reveling how irrelevant she had become. In the time she’s been pushing adlinks for the past 10 years, I assume many in her audience, like me, have gotten an education and been working for a few years. I worked really hard to get my degree and now I go to the office, and put great effort in to making my living. “Working” from bed during my entire pregnancy, shuffling my weekend around on a weekly basis and going to “my eyebrow lady” or tailor (as if I have any of those) is not things I can consider actual work? Yet I manage to show up to the office with clothes that fit properly, eyebrows looking reasonable, my clothes aren’t wrinkled, my hair isn’t greasy and I occasional even put on some makeup. My baby is also doing well, so is my husband. And guess what? I miraculously manage to show up every day. What an achievement! Nope. It’s what most people manage to do five days a week, most weeks of the year. Every year. In the office, regardless of how many hours my baby had me up that night, I put on my best self and have to be professional. I have to apply myself and cooperate with people I don’t necessarily like all that much. Some I even dislike quite a bit, and I still manage to be professional about it. Do I deserve a medal? No. It’s normal.

All this while, Mawk quit his job because he didn’t feel like it, poor him. Now they’ve literally gone years without having to have any form of social interaction except the ones they actively choose or pay for. Why is it important to do things we don’t like? Because it builds resilience and helps making life enjoyable when things go well. They seem to have gotten into a uninspired rut they cant get out of, and I think this might have something to do with it. Knowing you’re able to finish work you don’t like with people you don’t like is really important to experience every once in a while. They never have to do work they don’t feel like doing, and it shows.

Most people in their season of life can’t go about even 20% of their day in the way the Newtons do. We wouldn’t have time. This would all be ok if it she was being real about it and admitted that they’re in a very rare and privileged position to both be home with Chops all day, only work when he naps, and at the same time do very expensive renovations. All paid for by cookies in our browsers and the minimum-effort-ads we watch(ed). Instead, she keeps going on about how she has to squeeze in bits and bobs, and how they have to be careful about spending. It’s infuriating. She knows very little about being frugal and she knows absolutely nothing about being busy. At this point, they live so socially isolated I genuinely don’t think she knows any better. Hanging out with Zoe isn’t going to help here….

She used to at least pretend she wanted to do good with her minimalism (now we know it was just because they didn’t have enough space in the flat), cookbook’s and her promises of brand representation. She also used to come across as genuinely excited about makeup/books/food, where as now it’s all a shit show with week old pasta, not minding the rats in her house (!!!) and toxic positivity giggles *ad.

What’s pissing me off about all this is that it’s only the past six month’s I’ve learned how adlinks actually work and I’m quite bitter about the money she’s earned off me without me really knowing. Obviously that’s on me, but I still feel like she’s capitalized on my naive trust I used to have in her.

• Heart
Reactions: 99

icryincoffee

Recent lurker of this thread. To be honest, I used to be a HUGE fan of Anna circa 2017/ 2018. I had lost quite a bit of weight and having been used to wearing big, overshaped clothes to hide my body, I had no idea how to dress my new body or even do makeup where I looked decent or glam for events. Anna's content around this time really, really helped me. I believe she had all those hello fresh/ waitrose what I eat in a day videos around this time too where she would show herself off doing a workout and then a grocery haul, cooking her meals, getting her blog/ book work done, and just being on the ball with things. More things that helped me eat better and live a healthy life while also being productive. I won't lie, having a full-time job, I side-eyed some of her to-do lists but she was a big part of this wellness/rediscovering myself journey I was on so I let it slide. And for this reason, I have actually defended Anna on Lily's thread. I even agreed with someone who had said on a few threads ago when Mark and Anna had just moved saying not there's more to life than just one's 9 to 5 and they couldn't blame them for their lifestyle.

But what on EARTH happened to her since??

I started losing interest when she got pregnant - I thought it was because of the pregnancy content which I couldn't relate to having no plans for a kid. But her makeup and food vlogs just didn't have the same vibes as those from 2017/ 2018 either and I just couldn't put my finger on why. Then the NON-STOP in your face shilling started and I was utterly disgusted! Again, her "I'll link some dupes for you" was really helpful for me in 2017/2018 - bear in mind I was really self-conscious and didn't want to spend too much on clothes so was happy to look for high street dupes and just the general direction of what to look for and where. But the recent Christmas and Black Friday "edits"?? And for the love of GOD! Mawk's edits?? Sent me over the edge! Mawk dresses like someone who lost their backpack and is on day 5 of their Himalayan trek! Who wants to look like that?? Seriously WHO??

And I want to be respectful of how she has a baby - I'm not a parent so I can't imagine the demands of a baby but soups and soggy pastas when neither of them has a full-time job and are at home nearly 24/7? Am I missing something?

And why keep saying "signing off"?? She doesn't seem to be growing or gaining new followers, she's just sponging off the ones she has already, we know by now she disappears over the weekend (since 2017 at least so that's five years now) so why keep saying it?

I feel like she might not be okay behind the scenes actually. I feel like she's overwhelmed and stuck in a rut - which might explain the bored, bland, mindless and repetitive content. And the #goodvibesonly might be overcompensation or misdirection (like when she talked about her period even though she was already pregnant or sent out a newsletter saying along the lines of she would like to have a garden one day or it's the dream when they had already purchased their current house). But if she's fully aware of what she's doing, then I've lost all respect and I'm completely disappointed.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 54

call.me.coco

Chatty Member
‘Delaying Christmas’
‘Tight squeeze this year’

IS SHE ACTUALLY BEING SERIOUS?!

She lives in a million-pound home which is undergoing massive renovations. The silly light fixtures alone cost +£400 each!!! Her drab outfits cost ££££. Everything is gifted even down to the food they eat.

There is a cost of living crisis!! Stop with the relatability. She’s foul, as is her creepy dork husband.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 53

Peppi58

I have a ton of work to do, so instead I put together a compilation of all the times Anna has mentioned Mark in the latest RENO video and moments where she strokes his ego by making him explain the obvious.

This counts as research, right?

Here ya go:

“Mark and I can’t believe it’s happening”
“Mark said they’re digging to find drainage”
“Mark said yesterday that in a months time”
“Mark has done such a good job of sourcing a temporary kitchen for us” (EW)
“Mark said this is from our favorite café”
“And Mark… (sentence unfinished but she did mention his name….)”
“Mark just had a sniff of the candle”

Next is:
- Mark mansplaining what the builders are doing in the garden, nothing makes sense if you closely listen to him.

- Mark proudly showing the lamps he bought with his wife’s money. His wife fawning over his expertise in picking the perfect lamps.

Next: Anna dares to question his expertise and resourcefulness:
“A: Who found these, you or Rebecca?”
M (shocked): “I found these… she gave us options for inside lights …”

A: “I forgot to include footage of Mark showing us the sink…”
A: “where did you get it from?”
(Does she really have no idea of what is happening in her own house?)

Next is Mark fawning over the kitchen sink as Mrs Mawk fawns over her husbands expertise, again.

End of video: she thanks Beauty Pie for sponsoring and HAS TO mention him once again:
“I had to include that part of Mark, it really tickled me”

End. I am having a Mawk overdose after focusing on his too much and listening to him. 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 53
The Newtons are an old fashion patriarchal couple masquerading as a "modern" one by dressing themselves and their house in "minimalist" beige. Anne wants what her mother and her grandmother had which was a "strong" "masculine" husband with 2 kids while she does the baking. Mawk wanted that role as the "provider" and to be the alpha in the relationship. The thing is men who describe themselves as "alpha" and "head of the household" typically, not always but typically are the worst boss/employee. They do not play well with others which explains why Mawk couldn't hack it in his job.

Anne was making an astronomical amount of money, I don't think he could ever compete making that salary without being an executive/director level and he wasn't going to get there at the rate Anne was so why bother "competing"? Instead said, he decided to become a "manger" of sorts managing Anne and the overall money b/c then he would have all the control. Anne wanting the alpha of her dreams happily let him take on that role. After all, she had no problem trying to be an influencer ft while Mawk worked full time b/c in that time Mawk had all the control. Currently she doesn't want to "emasculate" him so she overtly praises him not only for image purposes but to fool herself that he's still the provider and therefore the head of the household b/c that's all she ever wanted.

I have a feeling the bulk of duties re: Chops falls on Anne. That's why she looks so drawn while Mawk's duties is overseeing the household (i.e. the garden and finances).

I have speculated alot about what happened with her and Lily and my current thinking is Lily made a comment about how Mawk has it so easy b/c the person doing the bulk of the work both outside and inside the home is Anne. Anne then made a remark about how Rich does the bulk of the work yet Lily can't find her niche on social media. This would sting both of them and I can't see either one recovering from this and would never want to share this publicly ever b/c neither one comes out looking good and even these two dunces are aware of that hence the silence.

Between these two there are no winners.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 46

peppin

VIP Member
I couldn't care less about Anna's wrinkles since ageing is heavily influenced by genetics and there are more important/interesting things about a person and their life anyway, BUT I will always be pissed off when somebody monetise their routine (or in Anna's cases, multiple products) claiming how wonderful it is and how people should invest in it while a) getting it for free b) displaying the opposite of those miraculous effects. Same goes for make-up, wear whatever you want, but when you are getting the same free products as established MUAs and want to avoid comparison, either step up your game if you want to make living out of it, or treat it as a hobby. Because why is a person who cannot find a matching shade of foundation or blend 3 eye shadows getting PR packages and collaboration?

• Heart
Reactions: 45

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
She’s talking about the concept of “your skin but better” while painting herself a nice shade of hepatitis orange.

• Haha
  • Sick

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
I agree that she's dumbed herself down and defers to Mark about everything - back in the flat their relationship seemed more balanced, whereas now she double checks everything with Mark and asks questions/gives praise in quite a patronising way.

I wanted to watch the latest video after seeing all the comments about Mark being controlling/her needing to keep him happy, and based on their body language and her tone of voice I get the impression that perhaps Mark has been quite unwell (either physically or with mental health) and her asking him questions/deferring to him constantly is a way for her to make him feel included and useful after a period where he's lost his sense of self.

She still seems quite confident and bubbly, and doesn't seem on edge or keen to please when talking to him - it feels more like something has happened and she's gently encouraging him and trying to build him back up in quite a maternal way.

If that's the case I hope he's ok - but I'll definitely keep an eye on future vlogs to try to work out more about their dynamic and what's causing it!
I don't know if there's something going on with Mark's mental or physical health, but I do agree that their relationship seemed more balanced when they lived in the flat and he was still working. In my opinion all of this started when Mark quit his job. Ever since then Anna has been effusive in her praise for every single little thing he does; it was more obvious than ever in this most recent vlog. It certainly feels like she's over-compensating for something and feels the need to stroke his ego at all times. It's downright odd at this point and makes her look like a real dimwit a times.

As for Anna seeming confident and bubbly - I truly believe that's because she's playing a part. That's how she wants her audience to see her so she will never present herself any other way. Good vibes only, remember? She's very fake.

Mark has been a controlling ass for a long time. We have seen many instances of this: didn't let her turn the heating on/didn't let her change to a warmer duvet on nights she was freezing cold/makes all the decisions in their relationship/made her wait a long time for a proposal when she was begging him to propose/recently called her back early from her night away in London...

It's also quite telling of his character, at least for me, that one of the main reasons he left his work place is because he didn't get along with any of his colleagues. Nobody liked him!

• Wow

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Really difficult when your kid can’t have a dedicated play room and his toys are in your usually adults only front room. Jesus wept! The struggles of having your big house made even bigger.

No doubt they are already talking about how in time this will be remembered as the Christmas they had to really make do under difficult circumstances but soldiered through like proper troopers. Twats.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 44

Eskimogem

Chatty Member
I haven’t checked out Anna for yonks and saw from the title of the Lily Pebbles thread they had a falling out. Went on her YouTube and it’s Ad, Ad, Creepy Mark, Ad, Ad.
Which is such a shame because I used to watch her all the time years ago and I quite liked her minimal makeup style and such but it’s obvious she’s moved away from that.
Ad, Ad, Creepy Mark, Ad, Ad could be a contender for the next thread title 😂 we could chuck in an ‘Ad Break’ too to really reflect how shite her content is!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44

peppin

VIP Member
I am waiting for my train, so I will give it a try, lmao
- The most interesting thing at chez Newtons are their new rat roommates.
- She still claims to have a capsule wardrobe despite constantly buying new clothes and publicly confessing she forgot about some of her items.
- Went on a press trip to Paris with Mark (🤢), didn't bother to make any content about the brand/event and signed off for the weekend after signing off for Paris.
- Mark's (🤢) photography skills are as terrible as Anna's fashion style. Or her poses. (Walking into a wall, talking to a fence, walking into a fence, open mouth, weird puckered lips...)
- Still haven't address the radio silence between her and Lily.
- A HUGE BOX OF PASTA THAT WOULD SATE AN ENTIRE ARMY OF RATS for 2 people because they are soo so so busy.
- Sold her Patagonia jacket for a trendy Arket one. (Talk about investment, right.)
- Their kitchen renovation is about to start and she has begged for engagement on instragram, pretending she doesn't know where she should move her stuff.
- Mandatory mention of the browsTM.
- Ralphie Chops is the only child enjoying being outside as Mark (🤢) is the only human enjoying being outside.

Idk anymore, feel free to add more! 🌝

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43

Aardvark

Chatty Member
One of my favourite things about people who exist online is when they act like their hair is this iconic thing they other people care about. She had her long natural hair made slightly shorter, who cares

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

janedowe

Chatty Member
Such a shame it was deleted already. It was a very nicely crafted thought provoking comment. Anne and Mawk are becoming more and more repulsive.

Reactions: 42