Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

OrangeDuvet

VIP Member
IMG_20220324_123636.jpg

Awww, this reminds me of the time when I was 10 and my mum was thanking me for her birthday present I got for her with the money she gave me. Felt so silly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 86

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Yes to this - show us what you’re actually wearing. This business of playing dress up every day for easy money is treating followers with contempt. Anna is no longer trustworthy - but I don’t think she even cares

0257A127-C68A-4D4B-BCFE-F3D47DF9D732.jpeg
DF11B509-2D42-4418-A0D1-995DEDC020D2.jpeg
AB9D5864-A64C-4240-BAB3-3595AF9C1D92.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 68

hellohellohello_123

Hello all, long time lurker etc but had to sign up to comment on the latest vlog, A Day In The Life: A Working Day at Home. The first 13 MINUTES of the 22-minute video are her applying her makeup and over-explaining her outfit (white tank top and jeans). Then a shot of Anna's head in a different location wittering about their home office, then in a different location again showing a gifted manicure set. Then she stands in the kitchen and says they're going over to her grandparents' house. Video ends with her coming back and making a Gousto dinner feat. some gratuitous shots of Mark to boot. Where is the work??? Sorry but it's just gaslighting at this point lol. If she wants to limit what she shares, fair enough but this is not the way to do it!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61

martaS

VIP Member
I totally get where you're coming from and I can relate! While Toteme is very popular, several of their pieces don't really hold the quality of their price tag if that makes sense? And I mean, cotton button downs and black suit trousers is something you really can get at a good price and of good quality on the real, not 130GBP, high street haha. It's been mentioned here many times before but she keeps arguing that things are an investment because it is expensive but then ends up on Vestiaire. I liked her style when her capshool wardrobe was still a capshool and not a capshill, and even got a few pieces from Whistles after her recommendation. Good times, eh?
Thread name suggestion for the next time:
The Anna Edit #17 When capshool becomes capshill

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56

Eskimogem

Chatty Member
She’s linked some Jigsaw trousers as a ‘high street dupe’ for her Toteme trousers. They’re £130.

In a time where people are worried about the cost of heating their houses, this deluded idiot is recommending £130 trousers as a dupe. I honestly cannot deal with this dickhead anymore.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 55

Great_Kate

VIP Member
i think Anna is basically a total vanilla. She likes routines and mainstream things. She was into make up and fashion, into healthy eating and sport, planning and renovating, jumping on to the property ladder and starting a family. Pretty much the normal stage’s people go through from 20-30. Being so ordinary was her big selling point.
She is probably not very confrontational and has a happy disposition (or had. After moving this seemed to change rapidly). She was lucky the mainstream style suited her extremely well when she started out and her purchases/sponsor partners fit mostly financially to her audience. Wearing the same 5 Whistles blouses for two years (not cheap but also reasonable priced) is much more relatable than buying £300 Chloe boots only to wear them for one season - never to be seen again. Now, her content resolves heavily around overpriced items that don’t even make her look nice anymore. The beige/yellow/brown is tricky for many white people. If you are not graced with a perfect rosy porcelain skin (and most aren’t) you just look like you have been locked up in an Victorian asylum for decades or are straight out of an workhouse. The massive eyebrows, strange poses and open mouth grimaces do the rest. Combined with orthopaedic fashion that makes you look like you are literally wearing layers of potatoes sacks (because all those rustic, natural fibres) for several hundreds of pounds. This has basically ended her option of being a fashion or make up person. If she stayed with what flattered her, she would be less fashionable but look pretty and could argue she had found her style.
Her flat renovation was good enough content with clear ideas about reselling and budget decisions. Their decisions around the mouldy mansion (what’s up with the snails in the kitchen nowadays by the way?) are mostly strange. Buying an older house has its unique challanges. It could have been great, relatable and relevant content. Slow but constant Reno content (you know have the better windows even if it will make other stuff take a back seat), DIY, some bigger jobs with Westelm, F&B etc. could have made a monthly video easily (and just think about the affiliate links). Throw in a weekly meal plan/prep and a weekly beauty/fashion segment (empties, what I use atm, week of outfits, good dupes for expensive coats/bags, favourite make up look…). Even a weekly Mark garden segment with lots of DIY, planning, seed starting, planting, harvesting, composting, chickens (?) would have worked. Gardening/Homesteading and batch cooking is a huge topic on YT atm. I don’t think Anna is doing a bad job around her son though. He is even more present in her content than I thought
and I think it’s good we don’t hear much about him. I love pregnancy/baby/family content but I have no problem when people decide to be extremely private about it.
But with all of the above, most of it easily to be pre produced, she could bring out daily Insta and weekly YT content easily without both having to work more than 2 days a week AND still be somewhat connected to her audience.
I liked her content for the longest time and was happily influenced by some of her choices 5 years ago (even though never through affiliate links, with some reading up, it was always clear they are actually pretty sneaky in the long run). We had a very similar, mainstream path through the years (as have many for the big milestones) but what she represents now is so far away from anything that entertains or inspires me- I had to unsubscribe on all channels. Because every time she posted it was just irritating.

Reactions: 52

AffiliateLinkMe

Prediction: "Hey guys, logging off for Easter to spend time with my lads and finally relax and get some time off for the first time in yonks! Link in stories for my affiliate easter bunnies moment that's a bit of me. Sending all the good vibes!"

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 52

Lovecat90

The thing with Nanna and Lily since they're basically twins at this point and something MANY successful ppl would rather die than every say it outloud is the biggest factor that played into them earning their ridic income comes down to luck.

Don't get me wrong, they clearly put some effort esp at the beginning but they got lucky that they were thin/white/good looking and young (a key ingredient), that they each had a supportive structure (via partner or parents) where they could focus on launching their business full-time (a key ingredient) in a field with little competition at the time (another key ingredient) with only three sm platforms at the time (IG, FB and YT) that soon skyrocketed. They've both said previously they could never have foreseen them making this much money (excuse me they said they could never have imagined being as "successful" - which is a euphemism for money) and I agree. This is the key ingredient that is vital to success and its luck.

This is why both of them esp Nanna are currently floundering. I don't think there is anything they can do to rectify the ship so to speak b/c what worked when they started won't work now. The market is now oversaturated with influencers and there are a plethora of different platforms for consumers to choose from and ordinary/bland middle class isn't going to cut it anymore where there are literally hundreds that fit that description who are younger/better looking/funnier/wittier/smarter/cooler/etc. Nanna and Lily's TikTok following shows there's no way they could become influencers and make the money they make now.

My theory is I think Anna see's that she can't grow and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lily and Anna mentioned in one of their last podcasts they like their audience and the size it is and aren't looking to grow? I think both of them are using this time to test just how much crap/lazy/lacklustre content they can churn out and keep their audience and grudgingly I (and ppl on here) have to accept that they have. Yes they've lost followers but it isn't like they've lost 20k followers in a year for it to hit their wallets. But as long as they put something out and reply to the "nice fans" to keep them hooked they're good. I do think their followers are addicted to their parasocial relationship with them and that's why they'll consume anything and everything they put it out no matter how awful b/c why else would they stay around?

Gleam is literally useless and part of me thinks they use Gleam more as a warehouse to store their PR, do editing for their podcast and to sporadically brainstorm with them but Gleam is just as bad as those two are. Who on Gleam's roster is actually thriving and growing their audience? No one, they are becoming an outdated relic simultaneously as everyone on their roster.

tl;dr Nanna and Lily got lucky and their luck is slowly waning and the decline is slow and steady but there really isn't anything they can do about it.
I do genuinely wonder who these women's fans are now. I'd followed Anna, Lily and literally a *couple* of these other influencers since about 2010. Never paid much attention to the YouTubers (Zoella etc) as I always found their content super patronising and vapid, but at least the bloggers would write articles and share recommendations which made my weekly trips to Boots more interesting when I found one of the lipsticks they were gushing about. I enjoyed their fashion, and although the Whistles stuff was slightly out of my budget at this point, I still stretched to afford a few pieces so I could feel like I was a successful, London based young woman (lol) even though I was earning £21k in a shit PR job.

I remember always being annoyed with the amount of stuff they were gifted - which they never disclosed, so I couldn't understand how they could afford such nice stuff. This was before the huge number of ads started coming, but I accepted that as they were "full time bloggers" they were trying to make a go of it and it was part of the deal for the content I enjoyed. I think I gave up on Lily around 2018, around about the time she started complaining about everything and not acknowledging the incredible amount of privilege she had. Anna lasted slightly longer with me, to the point I actually attended one of her book events, but shortly after that, in about 2019, I lost my patience with her as she just suddenly struck me as fake. I don't know what it was, maybe I was angry she never replied (or even read) a single message I sent her, but having followed her for years and enjoying the fashion content, I realised her opinions WERE being bought by whoever she was working for. One time she recommended a £150 Steamery steamer which I saved up to buy and it was the most expensive piece of crap I've ever used - it was useless. A couple of months later and there she was using a Phillips steamer and saying that she even took it on holiday with her she loved it that much - the Steamery she'd *loved* was never seen again.

I don't know who still follow these women and why. I don't know why more of us haven't woken up to influencer culture - these women honestly have nothing thoughtful to bring to the conversation and their ethics are incredibly questionable. The only woman I've seen who is an original blogger and still worth following is Kristabel Plummer. She's intelligent, thoughtful, personable, fashionable and kind and HAS OPINIONS. We're 30+ year old women now. I'm the same age as Anna. Anna and Lily's fans must love an echo chamber if they can stand to follow these two any longer and I think they should look really closely at themselves for why they still blindly follow women doing absolutely nothing of value in the world.

I do genuinely wonder who these women's fans are now. I'd followed Anna, Lily and literally a *couple* of these other influencers since about 2010. Never paid much attention to the YouTubers (Zoella etc) as I always found their content super patronising and vapid, but at least the bloggers would write articles and share recommendations which made my weekly trips to Boots more interesting when I found one of the lipsticks they were gushing about. I enjoyed their fashion, and although the Whistles stuff was slightly out of my budget at this point, I still stretched to afford a few pieces so I could feel like I was a successful, London based young woman (lol) even though I was earning £21k in a shit PR job.

I remember always being annoyed with the amount of stuff they were gifted - which they never disclosed, so I couldn't understand how they could afford such nice stuff. This was before the huge number of ads started coming, but I accepted that as they were "full time bloggers" they were trying to make a go of it and it was part of the deal for the content I enjoyed. I think I gave up on Lily around 2018, around about the time she started complaining about everything and not acknowledging the incredible amount of privilege she had. Anna lasted slightly longer with me, to the point I actually attended one of her book events, but shortly after that, in about 2019, I lost my patience with her as she just suddenly struck me as fake. I don't know what it was, maybe I was angry she never replied (or even read) a single message I sent her, but having followed her for years and enjoying the fashion content, I realised her opinions WERE being bought by whoever she was working for. One time she recommended a £150 Steamery steamer which I saved up to buy and it was the most expensive piece of crap I've ever used - it was useless. A couple of months later and there she was using a Phillips steamer and saying that she even took it on holiday with her she loved it that much - the Steamery she'd *loved* was never seen again.

I don't know who still follow these women and why. I don't know why more of us haven't woken up to influencer culture - these women honestly have nothing thoughtful to bring to the conversation and their ethics are incredibly questionable. The only woman I've seen who is an original blogger and still worth following is Kristabel Plummer. She's intelligent, thoughtful, personable, fashionable and kind and HAS OPINIONS. We're 30+ year old women now. I'm the same age as Anna. Anna and Lily's fans must love an echo chamber if they can stand to follow these two any longer and I think they should look really closely at themselves for why they still blindly follow women doing absolutely nothing of value in the world.
I still work in PR, but I've always been embarrassed of telling others about "there's this girl I follow" or "this influencer I like". It's always been so cringe to admit you follow a stranger on social media in a one-sided relationship where the other person doesn't even know you exist. Yikes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
She was saying that it will be their first time away since having Ralph. Didn't they stay in a cottage a few weeks ago that we suspected was Ruth's? There are two young healthy people looking after one healthy baby (and they have willing and helpful grandparents nearby). How are they so busy? She puts out a fraction of the content compared to when was working by herself in their first flat

• Angry
Reactions: 48

Lechat

VIP Member
What work has she actually done this week? She’s had a week off and her stories are just about flogging stuff, and she acts like she’s doing everyone a favour selling her overpriced used garments. And then the cheek of moaning about being too busy for lunch when she and her useless husband are both at home all day. What on earth are they soooo busy doing? As applying suede protector and de bobbling a tracksuit are not really big activities. And everyone else fits that stuff around a 40 hour week plus commuting. She’s insufferable at this point.

• Heart
Reactions: 47