The advice thread for random problems #5

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tried that, they said because it's a joint claim my husband has to have a meeting too even though his circumstances haven't changed!!
---

I messaged them telling them I didn't need UC anymore, they sent out a form which I duly completed. They then said i had to do one online. Which I did. I don't understand what is missing because surely they're getting my information through my NI number each month? I think I'll try this next
It’s been a while since I worked for DWP so some of this information might be outdated but - if you live with your partner and they claim UC then you need to have a joint claim regardless of whether you are working or not. Any money you earn from your job will then be taken into consideration to then determine how much you and your partner will be paid in UC. You won’t be able to close your claim and your partner have a single claim as in the eyes of DWP, if you live with someone then any money coming into the household needs to be taken into account. You will only be able to close your claim if your partner is also closing their claim.

Like I say this may be outdated as I haven’t worked there for a few years but if you’re not getting any clarification from DWP then maybe try Citizens Advice just to double check the rules?

Reactions: 2
It’s been a while since I worked for DWP so some of this information might be outdated but - if you live with your partner and they claim UC then you need to have a joint claim regardless of whether you are working or not. Any money you earn from your job will then be taken into consideration to then determine how much you and your partner will be paid in UC. You won’t be able to close your claim and your partner have a single claim as in the eyes of DWP, if you live with someone then any money coming into the household needs to be taken into account. You will only be able to close your claim if your partner is also closing their claim.

Like I say this may be outdated as I haven’t worked there for a few years but if you’re not getting any clarification from DWP then maybe try Citizens Advice just to double check the rules?
This is still the case - a joint claim if living together. That’ll be why the husband needs to attend as well. Joint claim or no claim for a couple. Even when one is severely ill.

My friend (severely ill) and her husband found this a year ago. He got a job and didn’t realise this rule that his wife couldn’t keep claiming as a single person. In the end he gave up his job (as couldn’t work enough hours to support them both) and now they’re in a much worse mess. There’s a set amount for a couple to live on and that’s expected to be reached, in their case by one person, who wasn’t able to do so.

Reactions: 1
Obviously someone has screwed up but the claim cannot be closed by you alone. You both need to attend an appointment at Jobcentre to sort this out and, get some advice because if he’s still been getting UC whilst you are working he may have been overpaid depending on the taper on your salary etc.

With my friends her husband was lead claimant and sorted everything out so is contact, she hasn’t been - it’s still a joint claim though.

UC is such a bloody mess, it really is. So many vulnerable people been caught out by it. It was the same with the extra £20 during covid used to get people to transfer to UC early with no idea it would be stopped because no one was clear on that.

Reactions: 2
Holiday Packing Advice 😅

I’m going away for 4 nights to Croatia. The weather will be nice. I’m trying to pack the least amount of clothing possible. Excluding underwear and socks, what would you include? Or definitely exclude?
I feel like I still have too much

Obviously someone has screwed up but the claim cannot be closed by you alone. You both need to attend an appointment at Jobcentre to sort this out and, get some advice because if he’s still been getting UC whilst you are working he may have been overpaid depending on the taper on your salary etc.

With my friends her husband was lead claimant and sorted everything out so is contact, she hasn’t been - it’s still a joint claim though.

UC is such a bloody mess, it really is. So many vulnerable people been caught out by it. It was the same with the extra £20 during covid used to get people to transfer to UC early with no idea it would be stopped because no one was clear on that.
I guess I must be the lead claimant? I haven't received anything since I took the form in so that bit is at least correct 😅 it will have to wait for summer hols because I work in education and refuse to take a days unpaid leave for this level of nonsense.