Teaching - the good, the bad, the ugly

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since teachers seem to have taken over the ‘I hate my job’ thread I thought I’d start a thread specifically for us teachers to rant, support or occasionally celebrate.

This may also be a good place for those who have left teaching to share other career opportunities so we can escape too 😂

Reactions: 10
Haha good thread!
I was a teacher, I LOVED the teaching, it was all the other crap that came with it. I was in a college so it was different to schools but yeah, I had a break down. My mental health was screwed for a long time.
A year ago I finally went back to work but in a mental health crisis centre and I love it. I feel like I’m making a difference and I feel appreciated by clients and colleagues.

Reactions: 7
Not a teacher but work in schools. I have the utmost respect for all you teachers and you are all AMAZING, but as I mentioned on the job hating thread, I could weep at the current state of schools. Crumbling buildings, huge levels of SEN and needs greater than ever before, entitled rude parents and no money. How does it ever get better?

Schools are the ultimate example of having to do more with less, it's just that less gets less every year.

Reactions: 13
I met with a relative at the weekend, she's a primary school teacher and she's taking early retirement. A child of seven in a class threw an object at her face and caused a minor injury and another child shut her in a store cupboard. She said it's gradually got worse over the last few years. One of the children broke two expensive iPad's and was then treated to a shopping spree :oops:
Rewarding bad behaviour has got the school in the mess it is now in with unruly and dangerous behaviour.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Worked in SEND as a TA. Loved it to start with. Trained as a teacher, did my masters in SEND. Then wheels came off about five years ago when I was attacked by a student whilst being under staffed. Left with PTSD and depression/anxiety after being told to effectively man up by SLT and haven’t set foot in a school since.

Can’t see myself ever going back into education.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Worked in SEND as a TA. Loved it to start with. Trained as a teacher, did my masters in SEND. Then wheels came off about five years ago when I was attacked by a student whilst being under staffed. Left with PTSD and depression/anxiety after being told to effectively man up by SLT and haven’t set foot in a school since.

So sorry to hear that - absolutely appalling thing to happen and then a dreadful way to be treated afterwards. Disgraceful. Hope you are as OK as you can be now.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Not a teacher but work in schools. I have the utmost respect for all you teachers and you are all AMAZING, but as I mentioned on the job hating thread, I could weep at the current state of schools. Crumbling buildings, huge levels of SEN and needs greater than ever before, entitled rude parents and no money. How does it ever get better?

Schools are the ultimate example of having to do more with less, it's just that less gets less every year.
It doesn’t, I think it’s probably going to get worse and I think teachers are either going to break or quit the profession because it’s too much.
---

I’m so sorry that happened! The tit the people on the ground have to put up with is too much. While there are some good SLTs out there, too many hide in their office from the drama and leave us to struggle.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So sorry to hear that - absolutely appalling thing to happen and then a dreadful way to be treated afterwards. Disgraceful. Hope you are as OK as you can be now.
Thank you. Without being dramatic, I’m not the same person I was unfortunately. It still hurts as I genuinely loved the job and the kids I worked with despite the challenges but when you are genuinely frightened in your job then it’s time to put your safety and your health first. If any of you are beyond stressed or putting the job before your health then please please please, don’t. It’s just a job.

Unfortunately, teaching is full of people who are compassionate and hardworking but I do feel that sadly gets taken advantage of. So many bloody good teachers I used to work with are also now leaving the profession and I just look back now and think what a sad state of affairs our education system has become. Much like the nhs, it’s being absolutely driven into the ground.
---
It doesn’t, I think it’s probably going to get worse and I think teachers are either going to break or quit the profession because it’s too much.
---

I’m so sorry that happened! The tit the people on the ground have to put up with is too much. While there are some good SLTs out there, too many hide in their office from the drama and leave us to struggle.
SLT or tit Leadership Team as I deemed them! You either get the ones who either hide in their offices or alternatively you get the ones who think they know best and make it their lives mission to destroy every teachers confidence. The amount of NQT’s that I had crying after being observed by SLT that think they were the BEST teachers known to man and how we should all hope to be as good as them…

Cracks me up as one of my “I’m better than all of you because I’m SLT” once had to cover my class. She was all gung ho and planned a numeracy lesson that was not in line with their current stage of learning.

10 mins later…

My TA came running in to me gleefully on my PPA time saying “oh my god, it’s a shitshow!” I casually walked by and it was utter chaos. Went and got my NQT to walk past and it literally made her day as she realised that SLT don’t have a clue and from that day on she took every lesson observation with a very large pinch of salt!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
tit leadership team! That’s a good one.

We had a young child in school call the head teacher the wrong name (he called her another teachers name, he’s 4, he got confused between them both). The head said to this child “I’m the head teacher, I’m the important one”. That told me everything I needed to know about her character.

• Wow
  • Angry
Intrigued to hear what you all think about Labours plan to bring in supervised toothbrushing in schools?

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I started teaching abroad 12 years ago and used the job to see the world. Look up search associates.com to get the best schools. I’m 65 now and the odd day of supply reminds me I made the right decision.

Reactions: 2
I'm not in the UK but this is madness. Hard enough to get them to wash their hands!!
Exactly! Plus I’m wary of how much teachers are being used to do basic tasks that should be under the remit and responsibility of a parent. I’m a teacher, not a dental hygienist. It’s not my job to supervise teeth brushing. If a child needs a filling then are teachers going to be blamed for it?

Teachers to supervise? Are we adding dentists to the job description then.
Along with everything else it would seem! So far teachers are expected to give children breakfast, brush their teeth, toilet train, provide first aid, be a mental health coach, a social worker, a babysitter….anything else I’ve missed? OH WAIT BE A TEACHER!

• Sad
Exactly! Plus I’m wary of how much teachers are being used to do basic tasks that should be under the remit and responsibility of a parent. I’m a teacher, not a dental hygienist. It’s not my job to supervise teeth brushing. If a child needs a filling then are teachers going to be blamed for it?

Along with everything else it would seem! So far teachers are expected to give children breakfast, brush their teeth, toilet train, provide first aid, be a mental health coach, a social worker, a babysitter….anything else I’ve missed? OH WAIT BE A TEACHER!
You forgot OT, SLT, Ed Psych and that's just off the top of my head - there's definitely more.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
How do you find doing supply? I like the idea of less planning but don't know if I could manage the unpredictability.
I love day to day supply. There is no planning, you literally turn up, teach, mark and go home. I've recently been on a long term and dont like that for the same reasons as I don't like full time teaching (planning, data etc).

Reactions: 5
I love day to day supply. There is no planning, you literally turn up, teach, mark and go home. I've recently been on a long term and dont like that for the same reasons as I don't like full time teaching (planning, data etc).
Sounds like a dream. How do you find behaviour management? That's my biggest concern about it really.

Sounds like a dream. How do you find behaviour management? That's my biggest concern about it really.
I'm Primary so can only comment on this age group but I always start by telling them that I'll be with them for the day and make my expectations clear. I find that EYFS and year 1 will treat me as if I'm their regular teacher. Year, 2, 3 and 4 are the same in that they respond well to praise and want to get to know you and tell you how things should be done but they do test a bit more...

The worst thing is teaching phonics as there are many different schemes and they are all taught differently!

Reactions: 3