Superstitions - Feathers, magpies and other hocus pocus

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello 👋

So I found a feather yesterday. On my kitchen floor, about a half hour after mopping it. No one had been in or out the house.

I wouldn't say I'm going through a tough time, compared to many at the moment I'm very lucky. I do have some things on my mind though, life changing things, decisions to be made that have been stressing me.

I have taken to feather to mean that I am not alone in this and that I'm on the right track and I have to say its brought me some peace.

A friend of mine saw a lone magpie and the next day suffered an awful loss... She truly believes it was a sign.

It got me thinking (in the style of Carrie Bradshaw 🙈). I am fairy superstitious, definitely not to the point that it rules me, but it does bring me comfort (and sometimes worry when I step on 3 drains 🤣)

Does anyone else feel like this? Do you have superstitions? Do you have any stories where you've had a sign or a coincidence or something has brought you bad luck / comfort?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
On the day I was finding out what gender baby I was having I seen 4 magpies (four for a boy) and then I found out I was having a boy!

I cannot walk over 3 grids 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am the same with 3 grids, they are to be avoided at all costs!
My grandma has also always taught me that if something you love breaks (i.e. a mirror / lamp) you have to go and smash an old plate or something you don't care for to balance out the energy. No idea but I always do it... my boyfriend thinks I'm a crazy lady 😂

Reactions: 7
I have OCD, so superstitions are dangerous for me personally. I try not to let my brain engage too much with things like seeing birds.

My mum constantly goes on about them so obviously some of that has sunk into my brain from listening to her (like not putting new shoes on the table?). She told me as well, if you put a top/dress/night dress on backwards, its bad luck to change it. I remember the night before I got my A level results I put my PJ top on backwards and she FORCED me not to correct it. I got 3 As in my A levels, obviously through my own hard work and studies and my mum told multiple people about the PJ top incident as though it was due some credit haha.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
My grandma has also always taught me that if something you love breaks (i.e. a mirror / lamp) you have to go and smash an old plate or something you don't care for to balance out the energy. No idea but I always do it... my boyfriend thinks I'm a crazy lady 😂
Stupid question, what is 3 grids. I tried to google image it doesn't yield anything

Reactions: 3
I'm really superstitious. If I accidentally step on three grids, I have to step on a group of three two grids, to balance it out.
I break the chain if I see a single magpie - pull apart the forefinger and thumb with the other hand.
Spilled salt needs to go over the left shoulder.
I cant pass a knife to someone else, I have to put it down and then they can pick it up themselves.
There's probably more...

Re: feathers...I always say "If feathers appear, loved ones are near." I've seen them lots after people have passed away - and it's not because I'm on the lookout, because I always am! Two days after my nana passed I was sat in my conservatory after a row with my bf, and a white feather floated down outside. It was so comforting.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
But doing that sets your mind at rest. 💚 Balancing your mind is by far the better option, because our minds do play havoc with our lives otherwise.

Reactions: 3
For me, I had to clean out house and pay off all my credit card debt before New Year because I dont want to bring the bad luck from last year to the new one

Reactions: 5
I was never really superstitious but now I think I've only ever had bad luck and never been lucky in love or life in general so now I try to avoid certain things like stepping on three drains 😂

I forget what to do if you stand on one though so maybe I am stuck in a loop of bad luck. I also grew up at 'No. 13' and my mum has a chronic illness which she has for life and only got after living there

When I was in a very abusive relationship, I used to walk past a large group of rooks. It made sense when I would be walking through the commons near where we had lived together but very often a large group of them could appear in quite a random, built up area. Leaving my house sometimes I would see and hear them all along the rooftops, almost like they were waiting for me. Not just one, but a huge group. It's been 8 years since I left. I haven't seen them in more than one or as pairs.

I've often felt close spiritual connection to butterflies. It is rare for them to be in the house, however since my mother died over a decade ago, it seems to be a regular occurance.

I do have many more.

I have bought an overpriced key charm I didn't want or need because a romany woman placed it in my hand.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was very superstitious as a teenager to the point where it would probably have been classed as OCD. I had all these weird rituals I had to do otherwise someone would die or I’d fail an exam etc. I kind of felt like I was totally in control of what was going to happen. It got better as I got older, maybe it was related to anxiety or general teenage angst! I do still salute one magpie, won’t open an umbrella indoors and would panic if I broke a mirror!

Yes you have to salute the magpie and say ‘good morning mr magpie, how’s your wife and children’

And in school if we had to step over 3 drains we’d say the same word 3 times (it was a specific word but it might be too school specific to say!)

But on the whole I don’t believe in superstitions (I do have ocd but in a very specific way, so I’m quite ‘lucky’ that it hasn’t spread into other areas of my life so far, it’s trouble enough where it is).

I don’t walk under ladders but that’s just common sense.

Reactions: 2
Hello 👋

So I found a feather yesterday. On my kitchen floor, about a half hour after mopping it. No one had been in or out the house.

I wouldn't say I'm going through a tough time, compared to many at the moment I'm very lucky. I do have some things on my mind though, life changing things, decisions to be made that have been stressing me.

I have taken to feather to mean that I am not alone in this and that I'm on the right track and I have to say its brought me some peace.

A friend of mine saw a lone magpie and the next day suffered an awful loss... She truly believes it was a sign.

It got me thinking (in the style of Carrie Bradshaw 🙈). I am fairy superstitious, definitely not to the point that it rules me, but it does bring me comfort (and sometimes worry when I step on 3 drains 🤣)

Does anyone else feel like this? Do you have superstitions? Do you have any stories where you've had a sign or a coincidence or something has brought you bad luck / comfort?
I have heard that feathers could be from a departed loved one showing they are still around in spirit...

• Heart
  • Haha
I’ve had some experiences with feathers. Once I was crying in my car at around 3am in a really bad state and I verbally said out loud someone please help me, straight after a feather landed on my windscreen. The next day I found out that my cousin had died the day before. I always like to think that was him.
On Christmas Day just gone there was a feather in the hallway next to a shelf I keep pictures of my mum and dad on. I like to think that was them. I’m not saying I believe it, I’m usually pretty sceptical about things like that but it’s comforting to think it could be.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I had 3 miscarriages before having my son , on the day he was conceived ( obviously I didn't know he had been conceived at that very moment ) I found a white feather , I've kept it to this day !
ALWAYS salute a lone magpie and say , Hello Mr Mr magpie where's your wife. I feel very uneasy untill I've seen a second.
In our street they completely missed out number 13 .
Friday 13th makes me anxious.
Bad luck comes in 3s

• Heart
Reactions: 6