Suggestions for a book for me and daughter 17 to read

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Daughter isn’t really a reader anymore but wants to get back into it. I thought it might be nice to buy a really interesting book that we’d both enjoy and talk about

Can anyone think of anything?

Reactions: 1
I know it is a bit of a marmite book for some but The Midnight Library by Matt Haig isn’t too heavy going for someone looking to getting back into reading and opens up conversation.

I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro when I was your daughter's age and I loved it. I re-read it a couple of years ago and loved it just as much and it was interesting to see how my thoughts and opinions on the subject matter have changed over the years.

There is also a film adaptation of it (which I've not watched so can't give an opinion about) but if you do decide to read it then it might be nice to watch the film together as well.

I hope you manage to find something that you both enjoy!

Reactions: 3
I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro when I was your daughter's age and I loved it. I re-read it a couple of years ago and loved it just as much and it was interesting to see how my thoughts and opinions on the subject matter have changed over the years.

There is also a film adaptation of it (which I've not watched so can't give an opinion about) but if you do decide to read it then it might be nice to watch the film together as well.

I hope you manage to find something that you both enjoy!
this was the first book I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Also anything by David Nichols. Us is a personal favourite!

Ah time travellers wife will be in the cupboard other 2 sound good sorry my daughter is 16 not 17 I think she’d cringe if a book had full on sex scenes so I’m swerving those!

I'd recommend Circe by Madeleine Miller, Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and if you think she'd be interested, there is a fantastic book by Caitlin Doughty on death cultures around the world called From Here To Eternity, which is very pleasant, fun and easy to read and it might lead to some interesting discussions.

If she hasn't read them, I'd also recomment The Book Thief and All The Light We Cannot See, the latter is a chunk of a book but not a demanding read and the prose is lovely. She might enjoy fantasy, Ursula Le Guin is brilliant. At her age I was devouring The Earthsea Cycle and to this day it's one of my favourite book series. I'll also recommend The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness again, although I haven't read this myself, I've seen it recommended to younger readers. Apparently it's supposed to be quite good.

You should also check the book lists on Goodreads, there are some great YA books that can also be enjoyed by adult readers.

Honestly, I’d recommend narrowing down the genres and potentially topics she is interested in

Maybe go to the local book shop and browse around too

Maybe something like sleeping giants or daisy jones and the six. Both are written in interview style. Also ellen hopkins books or a book called the art of taxidermy as these are written in verse so easy to read if just getting back into it.

Does she like any actors/singers/sports personalities etc? Maybe try an auto biography? I read a lot of those when I was in my teens - might be more her thing that fiction? Particularly if it’s someone shes interested in.

Daughter isn’t really a reader anymore but wants to get back into it. I thought it might be nice to buy a really interesting book that we’d both enjoy and talk about

Can anyone think of anything?
Your local library will probably have a Teenage readers section which might be good for your daughter to have a browse through.

I can’t think of anything right now but just wanted to say this is a lovely idea ❤

- John Green books are classed as YA but I've read a few as an adult and enjoyed (The Fault In Our Stars, Looking for Alaska)
- The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Aimed at adults but easy girly reads that could work - Milly Johnson books, Confessions of a Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, Me Before You (and follow on books) by Jojo Moyes

Aw, I love Never Let Me Go

Some authors/books I'd recommend in this instance are: Juno Dawson (Meat Market, Clean) Sara Barnard, Cat Clarke (Undone), Jennifer Niven, Emery Lord (When We Collided).